TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at The Great Escape, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

March 1st, 2005 - Looney Tunes National Park coming to The Great Escape - SEE BELOW!

April 27th, 2005 - Park announces Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Waterpark, to open in February 2006

September 27th, 2007 - Park to build Wiggles World for kids and "Wild Wedgie" waterslide

March 26th, 2008 - 400 guests sick at Great Escape Lodge

July 10th, 2008 - new thrill ride for 2009 and a winter event for 2008

September 15th, 2008 - new thrill ride revealed: Sasquatch, an S&S Tower (From SFNO)

September 1st, 2011 - Alpine Falls waterslide complex to be added in 2012

December 22nd, 2011 - Great Escape Lodge launches exclusive line of wine

August 30th, 2012 - Screamin Eagles Announced!

August 29th, 2013 - Extreme Supernova announced

October 7th, 2013 - SF buys remaining interest in Great Escape Lodge

Auust 28th, 2014 - Buccaneer Beach, a children's play area in the waterpark, announced for 2015

September 3rd, 2015 - Greezed Lightnin' announced (Larson Super Fireball)

September 1st, 2016 - Bonzai Pipelines to be added to water park

Auust 31st, 2017 - Complete Pandemonium announced for 2018

August 30th, 2018 - Bucket Blasters and Shipwreck Cove to be added to newly renamed Hurricane Harbor in 2019

August 29th, 2019 - Adirondack Outlaw announced

October 26th, 2019 - Locals oppose the height and location of Adirondack Outlaw

August 30th, 2023 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Original Post:

http://www.rcdb.com/document166.htm

Nothing special, but I like to see any improvement at this park even if it is just a kids area in the form of Looney Tunes National Park. There is so much open space they could build on around the entire park it's a surprise that they can't even put in a Batman clone or something. The only coasters they've ever installed have been hand-me-downs. If it wasn't for The Comet, there wouldn't be much reason to go to the park unless you have little kids (and I mean little kids).

edit: ok, maybe it's not ghetto, but I still think a lot of work needs to be done to make it a better park.

Don't get me wrong, I love the comet, but to me the park is just lacking. I guess I should say it could be so much better. They have a wonderful location that they just don't take enough advantage of. Hopefully the new kids section will improve the overall look of the park. I would actually prefer they polish the park a little instead of adding new coaster. But, if they were to add a new coaster.. there's a good chunk of land beyond Alpine Bobsled that's just asking for a B&M invert, unless that's where the new kids area is. But I can dream

The Great Escape is not lacking anything, IMO. It's perfect. To the guy who called it ghetto - um, where do you live?... Buckingham Palace? TGE might be lacking if you want KiNGdA KAAA!! or R1DDl3Rs RvG, but it's got the perfect mix of coasters for a family park. You want a big, bad inverted coaster? Go somewhere else (SFGADV, maybe?). The only ride that needs some work is Arrow Loopscrew. It was majorly rattling when I visited. And, they could clean up the indoor coaster's queue line

Personally, I'm a bit apprehensive about seeing Looney Tunes brought into the park. Aren't there enough goddamn parks with Looney Tunes?? TGE is so unique and quaint and quiet. This just seems like one step closer to flagging the place, and I definitely don't want that.

Oh god, what if TGE brings in the "new hip scary" Looney Tunes?

-kip-

Looks like I really hit a nerve here. I'm not saying it's a bad park, it just needs a lot cleaning. You're right, they do need to clean the indoor coaster queue. Last time I tried to go on that ride they closed it down because there was a racoon on the track. The Storybook Land looked as if it hadn't been cleaned all season. When it started to rain they closed down the pony ride and left the pony attached to the ride.. just standing in the rain. The Jungle Land walk through had all brown water and half the bridges were shut down. Honestly I love the park, the rides are great, I would just like to see more.. even if not a new ride, something to boost attendence. Maybe I went on an off day, but in my oppinion the park is really in disrepair.

• 1 month later...

The Comet is a great woodie that I've enjoyed for years, there's also a vakoma boomerang, a arrow looper, a pretty nice bobsled ride, and a pretty good dark coaster called nightmare the rest of the coasters are just not worth mentioning (canyon blaster, roadrunner express.) It's a pretty good park if you have a six flags season pass and you want to get some credits. But... They need a new thrill ride or some sort of larger coaster.

IMO, they ruin the ad with the darn Mr Six.

'The new Six Flags Great Escape Lodge, with all the amneitys you would expect from a five star hotel, without the price. An all weather inclosed waterpark onsite entices children and adults of all ages, as well as CRAZEE MR SIX! LOOK AT HIM GO! HE BRINGS YOUR CHILDREN ON HIS BIG BIG BUS FOR A NIGHT ON THE TOWN! WATCH HIM WITH HIS PHOTO MOBILE AS HE SNAP SHOPS YOUR KIDS IN THE CHANGING ROOMS! HES CRAZEE MR SIX!'

I go to TGE about 5 times a year because I really like the park. Comet is the best ride in the park and also one of the best rides.. anywhere..

The hotel and new parking lot is going to me very different then the old lot.. as last time I was at TGE (closeing weekend) they had made the full parking lot 3 - 5 feet taller with dirt build up...

• 2 years later...

What is it with the weird names applied to the water slides by Six Flags? First with Deluge at SFKK, now Wild Wedgie at Great Escape. What's next?

I can see it now....Be Prepared to be Flushed at SFMM's Hurricane Harbor - Cameltoe The Ride.

What is it with the weird names applied to the water slides by Six Flags? First with Deluge at SFKK, now Wild Wedgie at Great Escape. What's next?

I can see it now....Be Prepared to be Flushed at SFMM's Hurricane Harbor - Cameltoe The Ride.

LOL Cameltoe the ride. That should be at a Cedar Fair park though. I can see the ride rating now. Cameltoe the ride is a level 3, but it could be a 5 if ridden correctly.

• 5 months later...
About 400 Sick After Water Park Visit

AP

Posted: 2008-03-26 10:51:21

QUEENSBURY, N.Y. (March 26) - The number of people reporting illnesses after an outbreak of norovirus at an indoor water park in upstate New York is approaching 400.

State health officials say 388 cases have been reported by people who visited the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Water Park earlier this month.

Health officials say two people were hospitalized and both have been released.

Norovirus is characterized by acute gastrointestinal pain, vomiting and diarrhea lasting one or two days. The illness is not considered dangerous to the general public.

Four of the people infected and their families have filed a lawsuit against the water park, which is about 50 miles north of Albany, the state capital.

A Great Escape spokeswoman declined to comment, saying she couldn't speak about pending litigation.

Reality Check - Norovirus is EVERYWHERE...it sucks, but isn't too bad! Robb got it on one of our cruises, schools are always getting it, etc. I can't believe that they're suing Six Flags over this! Oh wait, yes, I can believe it, I just hate it! Find the nasty sick people that pooped in the water or didn't bother washing their hands and sue them!

Oh well, outbreaks like this happen, and while I feel sorry for those who got sick, I don't think it is enough to sue over. I could see them wanting Six Flags to pay any medical expenses, but this is not anything that should result in a lawsuit. Maybe people should do what Elissa said and practice better hygiene...

or maybe SF should put these signs up:

I would be shocked if there was any grounds for a lawsuit unless there was something wrong with the sanitation equipment and Six Flags still opened the park knowing this. That being said, i am surprised that it can spread in this way.

I got the norovirus on a cruise I went on too. It was great, I ate everything in sight and STILL lost weight.

A really low blow for Six Flags publicity-wise, didn't Atlanta's Whitewater had a major Norovirus or E. Coli outbreak that hurt the park's reputation?

I certainly hope the same doesn't happen to TGE. And yet again, proof that America is a sue-happy nation.