Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 486: Dorney begins to open July 8!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby Taeshan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:22 pm

So update to the earlier discussion. You can also get your Dorney pass online, wasn't announced but my friend did it and now has it in the app. So we're good to go as long as neither of us has a freak out in the next two weeks as I am liable to do. (small respiratory disease on my part, though I am way healthier than as a child and my doctor's point was that if I get it I should be fine, and there is a huge chance I already did with my work situation, lot of people here travel around the country, and my trip in early MArch to LA the weekend before everything shut down)
I'm a Robot.

Homepark: Hersheypark
Watch me on Youtube: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/Steam1414?feature=mhee[/youtube]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby qpb2004 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:20 am

Dorney is opening to passholders July 8th and then to daily ticket holders July 11th!

https://www.dorneypark.com/park-update

I Love Donkeys!

Postby rickjuly252012 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am

are they hiring lifeguards for Wildwater Kingdom? Oceans of Fun was offering $200 bonus a week ago for lifeguards

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby strwrse1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 pm

So Dorney Park has quietly reduced their hours before even opening. They are now only open Thursday-Sunday just like Worlds of Fun. They never even opened during the week.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Am I the first TR from Pandemic-Dorney? Sweet.

Stopped by the park for about an hour and a half today, just to get some rides in, no expectations.

Health Screening - They ask you "the questions" and then its through a thermal scanner. What is the point of the doing the questionnaire through the app first if they're just going to ask you the questions in person?

First stop was Talon, which...what the hell...actually had a wait!
DSC_0135.JPG

That said, it was 14 minutes for the back row, including ride time. Notably here, they had rows 2, 3, 5, and 7 completely blocked off, and were not doing any sort of "staged exit" from the trains like they are at Kings Island and Cedar Point. Also, notably the only adult rides I saw that were closed all day were the big splash boat, Meteor, and Possessed. Might have missed my last opportunity for that one, if those rumors from the previous pages come true.

Next was Hydra, which was a walk on for the back row. Same train "social distancing" procedures as at Talon. After that was Demon Drop, which was again a walk on. This is more like the Dorney I know I and love LOL. Decided to skip the flume since I didn't feel like getting wet. After that it was Thunderhawk, which I waited 7 minutes for the front row - amusingly had the train to myself, and zero people waiting in the station when I got back. Here, their "social" distancing was to close two out of three rows of seats per car - so the first 3 cars had the front row open, while the last car had the back row open. It would be the same thing at Steel Force (14 minutes for front row), so sadly no middle seat rides possible on either. Amusingly, they marked both sets of switchbacks for Steel Force with social distancing markers. Just...LOL.

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

Walking back from the badlands to the rest of the park, stopped and took a quick snap of this lot that's going to be sitting empty for quite a while...sorry not sorry.
DSC_0145.JPG

Took a quick spin on the Whip (one cycle wait) for it's 100th birthday, for which they're celebrating with cakes.
DSC_0148.JPG

A nice touch I thought. Anyway, grabbed a quick walk-on on the Enterprise since who knows when I'll be back at a park that still has one, and then called it a day and headed home.

In summary? Yeah, it's Dorney Park - a lack of waterpark has not caused the rides side to flood with people. Despite the little wait at Talon, everything else was a walk-on or one/two cycle wait. Social Distancing is easy at this park haha.

Will I be back this year despite it being less than an hour and a half away and on my CF Platinum Pass? If they open the waterpark (doubtful), or do a Haunt (also doubtful), sure...but otherwise this one trip was enough.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 150
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Postby dankeykang » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:30 pm

^ Nice report. I was at DP on Thursday and my experience was quite similar, although Talon only had a small wait early in the day. After around 2:30 pm, it was a walk on, with slightly longer wait times for Steel Force later in the afternoon. It was nice to see all major coasters running 2 trains even though the place was a ghost town. :lol:

Hot take: Steel Force is inherently re-rideable, I may even prefer it over Magnum...

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:47 pm

dankeykang wrote:^ Nice report. I was at DP on Thursday and my experience was quite similar, although Talon only had a small wait early in the day. After around 2:30 pm, it was a walk on, with slightly longer wait times for Steel Force later in the afternoon. It was nice to see all major coasters running 2 trains even though the place was a ghost town. :lol:

Hot take: Steel Force is inherently re-rideable, I may even prefer it over Magnum...

I imagine if I had stayed past 1:00 I could've gotten as many re-rides on everything as I wanted...I probably could've gone for 3 or 4 laps on Thunderhawk in the front row without getting up (yes they were allowing this, in non-CF-fashion). That said, the ride is a one-and-done for me since the conversion to clamp-brakes in '93. I'm surprised Steel Force wasn't running all 3 trains (note that the red train was nowhere to be seen, ie. not on the parking track).

Yeah, I can get on board with the Steel Force > Magnum theory...the bunny hills have actual curvature to them instead of right angles haha. Dat turnaround on Magnum is far superior though.

Since this thread doesn't get enough love, let's start a DP coaster ranking! Including defunct coasters, for me:

1. Laser
2. Talon
3. Hercules
4. Thunderhawk (pre-`93)
5. Steel Force
6. Hydra
7. Possessed
8. Thunderhawk (post-'93)
9. Stinger
(Every other kiddie/defunct coaster in Dorney's history)
18. Wild Mouse (current)

EDIT: I may or may not be intoxicated at this point.
-Mike
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White

Postby dankeykang » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Mike240SX wrote:
I'm surprised Steel Force wasn't running all 3 trains (note that the red train was nowhere to be seen, ie. not on the parking track).

I noticed the cars for the red train (covered) down below the final turnaround, same as where the extra train can be seen on Google Maps. This was my first visit to DP; is this where it's normally located?

DP.PNG

Based on my first visit - I would rank the coasters as follows:
1. Steel Force - really enjoyed this one, especially up front! The turnaround is pretty forceful and the airtime hills definitely deliver for me.
2. Talon - very solid invert, which actually ended up being #100 for me. I had planned on Steel Force being #100, but it didn't open up until around noon, so I went with Talon instead :)
3. Possessed - didn't get to ride yesterday but rode this a ton at Geauga Lake, so nostalgia is definitely an influence
4. Hydra - Definitely appreciate the jojo roll and unique layout, but it's pretty shaky, even up front
5. Thunderhawk - quite forgettable, the braking on the final bunny hills really killed the ride
6. Wild Mouse

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Mike240SX » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:53 pm

dankeykang wrote:
Mike240SX wrote:
I'm surprised Steel Force wasn't running all 3 trains (note that the red train was nowhere to be seen, ie. not on the parking track).

I noticed the cars for the red train (covered) down below the final turnaround, same as where the extra train can be seen on Google Maps. This was my first visit to DP; is this where it's normally located?

DP.PNG

Yeah, that's normally where un-used trains are parked. Like I said though, today it was nowhere to be seen - black and blue trains cycling through, but red was nowhere...likely disassembled in a maintenance shed somewhere.
-Mike

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby SkyToro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:10 pm

In regards to Steel Force, I haven't seen it run 3 trains in probably over 3 years. And the only time I've seen it run 3 is big holiday weekends (like for the Fourth of July). I visit over 10 times a year so Steel Force only running 2 trains is completely normal.

Here's how I rank Dorney's past and current coasters:
1. Talon
2. Laser
3. Steel Force
4. Possessed
5. Hydra
6. Thunderhawk (buzz bars)
7. Stinger
8. Thunderhawk (current trains)
9. Hercules
10. Wild Mouse
Former Dorney Park Team Leader (Rides) & Area Supervisor (HAUNT)
1. Steel Vengeance 2. Twisted Timbers 3. Lightning Rod 4. Maverick 5. El Toro 6. Skyrush 7. Fury 325 8. Intimidator 305 9. Millennium Force 10. Wicked Cyclone 11. Storm Runner 12. Fahrenheit 13. Phoenix 14. Afterburn 15. Mind Bender

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!