- Pneumatic brakes

- Rollback dogs

- The "clacking" sound of some Premier LIMs [Chiller especially]

- When it sounds as if the ride will fall apart mid-operation

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just love the sound of the restraints being pull down. That clicking sound.

I also enjoy the B&M roar, but I only heard one and that coaster also had it's supports filled with sand so the sound wasn't too hearable.

The sound of the train of Boomerangs engaging on the lift is also great.

I love the roar that B&M coasters make, specifically Hulk at IOA.

I second that. I'll also add Nitro's lift hill. The sound of that appeals to me for some odd reason.

As for the worst....hmm, I'll say the screeching sound of Wicked Twister launching. Ouch.

I kind of like WT's launch. Hearing that robot girl voice going "clear, launching in 3,2,1" SCREEEECH

I also like the sound of TTD launching.

What I don't like is the sound a vekoma boomerang makes when it catches the chain on the second hill

I love the roar that B&M coasters make, specifically Hulk at IOA.

I second that. I'll also add Nitro's lift hill. The sound of that appeals to me for some odd reason.

As for the worst....hmm, I'll say the screeching sound of Wicked Twister launching. Ouch.

I kind of like WT's launch. Hearing that robot girl voice going "clear, launching in 3,2,1" SCREEEECH

Yea I love that sound on WT also. BTW, you do know that the "robot girl's" voice is the person sitting in the booth and not a recording, right? Because to me she sounds nothing like a robot...ive even had guys in the past also. Maybe your thinking of the girl that used to do the speil...that WAS a recording, but they got rid of that.

I LOVE the sound of V2 at SFGAm launching... it sounds soooo awesome. It's a mix between a loud screech and screaming. I also like the sound of an Arrow coaster when then chain speeds up since the train reaches the top of the lift.

Likes~ I like the air horn sound right before kingda ka launches, The hissing sound superman tower of power makes right before the launch, and the sound on a sky coaster when they say 3...2...1...FLY, and the boom that comes right before powder kegs launch! Dis-likes the breaks on powder keg, and the horbal "buh" sound some makes when they throw up

Favorite: The B&M howl (I know everyone else calls it a roar - but being the Hallowe'en fanatic I am, howl seems more appropriate to me).

Other likes: the scraaaaape scrp scrp on Hersheypark Comet's brakes.

Comical: TTD's "Arms down" soundtrack from my visit in '03 - "Arms down...arms down...arms do...do..dow...arms down...head back...head...head...arms...arms...arms down..."

Dislikes: The huge back-seat BANG at the bottom of Riverside Cyclone's first drop prior to the retracking.

Absloute least favorite:

Ride-op to my wife - "Ma'am, your son won't be able to ride...he's too short."

Me - "What? I'm 5'5", and I'm not her son...I'm freakin' 33!"

My wife, to the ride-op - "This is my husband."

My wife, to me - "I told you the men in your family were short..."

Sorry, that last part is an inside joke in my family...couldn't really resist.

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite Roller Coaster Noise: Frequency drive AC motors. It's that high pitched humming drive motors make when their controlled to a slower (than slip or synchronous) speed. You can always count on a B&M to make this noise in the station, quite a few Intamins and a host of other rides (Turntable on Grizzly at DCA for example).

Second Favorite Roller Coaster Noise: SLC's lift hill dogs. (Especially Ninja at SFMM) They're just so darn rhythmic... Too bad the rest of the ride isn't better.

Worst Roller Coaster Noise EVER: The sound of a Big Thunder train cruising straight through Safety 3 and rear ending the train (accidentally) sitting in Brake Zone 4. It sounded a lot like a dumpster being dropped from the roof of a building... or pushed off a loading dock

Best: Machine Gun sound of Loch Ness monster's lift hill

Grizzly's growling and screeching around the last turn before the bunny hops to the brakes (PKD's of course)

The gentle 'Hisssss Clank' of any Premier LIM coaster before the banshee scream of electromagnetic bliss

The hiss of a Beemer (Specifically Apollo's Chariot) that can be heard on days when the ride is empty- listen to the wheels as they coast around the highbank helix, just as the train begins to dive towards the brake run- sounds like meat cooking a bit.

Worst: After standing in line for an hour or more, hearing the dreaded words "Due to unforseen circumstances, the _______ will not be operating for the present time." (Often heard at SFA and SFMW)

or....

The sounds of silence of a great ride standing idle and empty, lifeless, without trains nor track in preparation for its imminent execution.

(R.I.P. Drachen Fire, Clementon Lake JackRabbit, Texas Cyclone.)