83 members have voted

1. 1. which Busch is better

• BG europe
    • BG africa

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome to TPR! We hope you like the forums, and want to be a more active member. Just to you let you know, grammar is a big plus here, so remember to capitalize and use proper punctuation. A little effort goes a long way!

As for me, I prefer Busch Gardens Europe. The park was very pretty and well-kept. Africa felt a little run-down in comparison. Of course, BGA has Sheikra, which is a big plus.

Um, I pick both since I worked for both..lol

I love BGE the most because of the following:

1. Landscaping (many trees/shade is heavenly during those hot VA. summers)

2. Quality coasters (who cares if they only have 4. Their 5th will arrive in '07..lol).

3. Ride selection and location.

4. Food and Shows.

5. Staff (more helpful than BGA).

BGA has some good qualities as well:

1. Kumba

2. Montu

3. That is about it..lol

I've only been to BGA once, and that was in 1998, and the last time I was at BGE was 2001, so my memory is a bit hazy of the parks. But, based on what I remember, I give the edge to BGE. In my mind, it looks nicer than BGA did. BGA seemed open and sparse, kind of like a desert. BGE on the other hand seemed completely full of trees, buildings, wildlife, etc.

I'll go with the "Dark Continent" on this one. Why? The best collection of Beemers in one park. Throw in Gwazi and Scorpion (Joe, where's your love for Anton? Thought that would sway your vote), the great animal exhibits, good park food, the year-round operating schedule, and overall excellent atmosphere, and that's why it's better than Europe.

Oh yeah, don't forget, it doesn't hurt that it's a relatively short drive to Orlando either.

While BGA had Shiekra, Montu, Kumba and Scorpion [and Rhino Rally!], I didn't find the park to be nearly as nicely themed. This isn't to say it's bad. The theming for the most part is very nice and they stay true to the African theme throughout the park.

However, BGE has absolutely amazing theming, everything just looks to fantastic and everything blends in exceptionally well. Add to that Alpengeist, Big Bad Wolf, and to a lesser extent Apollo's Chariot and Loch Ness Monster, plus have a nice wide variety of great food, and it wins by just a little bit.

But uh I really loved both parks.

^^^BG-Europe's former names (BG-Williamsburg & BG-Old Country).

BG-Africa's former names (BG-Tampa & BG-Dark Continent). Classes will be offered each time BG changes their park names in the future..lol

Don't worry, some people still believe BGE is actually a new park in Europe and others still think BG parks go by the original names "Old Country & Dark Continent". Go figure. I was always wondering the names changes when I worked for the parks and the names on the checks kept changing over the years...lol

OK, now that I have been to both I will chime in. As much as I like Busch Gardens Africa (and its one of my home parks (I love Florida)), I think that Busch Gardens Europe is the better park. Yeah I do prefer the coaster collection at BGA, but there is more to do at BGE. BGE has a much better variation of rides than BGA (more fat rides, dark ride, better water rides etc.). The theming and atmosphere is a lot better at BGE, but you all already know this. BGA is right in the middle of ghetto Tampa (but once you are inside and not on a lift hill you don't notice). Both parks are good, so make sure you visit both of them.

I am gonna be the Oddball again I guess, I pick BGT

1. Better Coasters (that is the #1 factor in my book)

2. I would much rather see rare and interesting animals than trees and plants

3. I believe the Theming is about equal, I really do not see why everyone believes BGT is subpar to BGW I thought everything in BGT was great except for the Festhaus in Africa?!?!?!?

Maybe my opinion would be different if I had not had a front row seat to BGW's downwards spiral since 1999 (but I am hoping they redeem themselves next year)

JEFF

• 11 months later...

Ha--gotta go with Euroburg (just got back a half hour ago). Nothing in the Florida park beats Apollo's Chariot ride-wise (although I think Kumba comes the closest) and I just like the layout and landscaping more.

It all depends on what you're looking for. BGE is a much prettier park in a nicer location, while BGA has a larger assortment of coasters.

I lean toward my home park, but only ever so slightly.

BGE is a much prettier park in a nicer location, while BGA has a larger assortment of coasters.

Hmmm...

SheiKra

Cheetah Chase

Scorpion

Montu

Kumba

Gwazi

vs.

Griffon

Big Bad Wolf

Loch Ness Monster

Alpengeist

Apollo's Chariot

Looks almost about even to me.

Oh, it's such a tough call, and Chuck's right, it's all what you're looking for. BGE really is a beautiful park, but IMO, I'm not a *huge* fan of any of their coasters. BGA on the other hand I really like quite a few of their coasters, but unless you're into animals, you won't really appreciate the park (I only really like the giant tortoises!)

As for a coaster rundown, here's my opinions:

BGE:

Lochness Monster - One of the better Arrow rides, but it's old and it kind of feels it. 6/10

Apollo's Chariot - I personally think it's highly overrated, but some people LOVE this coaster. It's my least favorite of the B&M hypers, and I rank it only above the Morgan hypers. 6/10

Alpengiest - Really really BIG B&M Invert....but that's all it's got going for it. One of my least favorite B&M inverts. 6/10

Big Bad Wolf - A really good Arrow suspended....but even the best Arrow suspended doesn't really crack my top 20 or top 50. 6/10

Griffon - I haven't been on yet.

So yeah, if a "5" is average, IMO the coaster collection at BGE is slightly above average.

BGA:

Kumba - Could be my favorite B&M of all time. It's just awesome and I've never had a bad ride on it. 10/10

Montu - While the trims took a point away from it and put Nemesis and Dragons ahead of it, it's a solid 3rd favorite B&M inverted. It gives Katun and Pyrenees a run for the money. - 9/10

SheiKra - In a day when they said B&M only made 'forceless' coasters, along comes SheiKra. While not as forcefull as the two other B&M's in the park, the ride is GREAT and worth several re-rides. Still, it's short, and that's why it loses some points. 8/10

Scorpion - It's Schwarzkopf at it's finest of the "portable" looping models. Damn fun! 8/10

Wild Mouse - Meh. It's a mouse. It wasn't great at BGE and it's not that great at BGA. Worth getting the credit, but I wouldn't bother if it has a long line. 5/10

Gwazi - Ugh, what can I say. It's actually got a really good layout, which is why it doesn't score badly, but it's been rough as hell lately. With some decent trackwork and maybe those GCI trains, this could be a really kick as ride, but as it stands now - 5/10

As far as non-coaster rides go. BGE has Pompeii and DarKastle, BGA has Rhino Rally and a pretty decent splashdown boat. Kind of a toss up if you ask me.

Anyway, that's my take on things. Everyone's opinions vary (especially when it comes to BGE's B&M's) so take it for what it's worth.

--Robb

As far as the coasters go, I'd have to say Tamprica. It's hard to beat the Montu/Sheikra/Kumba combo. On the other hand, its hard to beat the theming and beauty of Euroburg.

Overall though, BGA edges out BGE for me. They could use a little more in the flat department, but I love the coaster line-up and I really like all the animal exhibits they have. It's a close call though.