2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

Yes but she already knows I like her and if we started dating we would act the same as we do now. I know that seems stupid but if you ever saw us you would know what I mean.

I know exactly how you feel man, like literally exactly. We're practically a couple, but the downside is, she's kiiinda heartless and likes someone else for a ridiculously stupid reason. It gets really irritating because she's my best friend, and I want to love her, but knowing that I'll probably never get that chance casts a shadow over me whenever I'm around her.

I also 100% fully support gay marriage. I'm one of 3 boys, and the only one of us to be in a relationship so far, a successful one at that, is my older brother who's been dating his boyfriend for about a year and a half. My brother's even at college which is about a 2 hour drive away, yet they still somehow manage to see each other almost every weekend. It really saddens me that my brother and his boyfriend who are practically the greatest couple I've ever seen can't get married, yet Joe Wifebeater and Redneck Sue can and raise a family of 12.

I'm straight.

I have nothing against gays or lesbians, but I just think it's wierd if it's extremely out in the public. I have absolutely no problem if it's just a casual holding hands, but I think kissing is where it might be crossing the line.

^ One thing is that since the percent of gays in the world is so low, when you zoom in and only look at a particular type of people, in this case coaster enthusiasts, the number will most likely go way up or way down. 5 out of 10 coaster enthusiasts may be gay, but out of ten people selected at random that number will in most cases be lower. Sorry if thats confusing.

I feel like nobody, straight or gay, should be gettin' jiggy with it in public. Pecks? Sure. Anything further? Nosiree. That's a bit weird and awkward, no matter who you are.

Na na na na na nana

Na na na na nana

It took me a good while to figure out what in the world you were doing. I even figured out that it was a Will Smith song, and I still didn't know what you were going for. Go me.

^ One thing is that since the percent of gays in the world is so low, when you zoom in and only look at a particular type of people, in this case coaster enthusiasts, the number will most likely go way up or way down. 5 out of 10 coaster enthusiasts may be gay, but out of ten people selected at random that number will in most cases be lower. Sorry if thats confusing.

That IS confusing, because it makes no sense. It's like saying a certain percent of people have blue eyes, so when you zoom in and look at a particular type of people, for example hockey fans, the number will most likely go way up or down. That's not the case...the percentage should still be basically the same.

But, for coaster enthusiasts, the percentage for gays does seem to go up. And his question was: Does anyone have a theory of why that is? Why is the percentage of gays and lesbians within the coaster community higher than the percentage present within other similar groups when, theortically, it should still be 10%.

That IS confusing, because it makes no sense. It's like saying a certain percent of people have blue eyes, so when you zoom in and look at a particular type of people, for example hockey fans, the number will most likely go way up or down. That's not the case...the percentage should still be basically the same.

But, for coaster enthusiasts, the percentage for gays does seem to go up. And his question was: Does anyone have a theory of why that is? Why is the percentage of gays and lesbians within the coaster community higher than the percentage present within other similar groups when, theortically, it should still be 10%.

I thought that the actual percentage was much closer to 3-4%? I remember reading that we assume 10% because of the numerical system (is it base-10?) that we operate on, but that's not the case. I'm pretty sure 10% applies to people who are left-handed, but I don't think the number of gays is that large. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My theory pertaining to the percentage of gays is based simply on the sample that's participating. In my experience, gay people are more active and vested in promoting their orientation than straight folks, so it makes sense for me that a larger percentage of gays would participate in this poll. With voluntary polls in general, typically only the more interested or active people (in the area the poll's examining) participate, so generally the results would reflect that.

For example, if a poll was mailed out to a million random households asking if people were coaster enthusiasts or not, odds are a large percentage of households would disregard the poll and not respond, as they aren't very vested in the topic. So of those million households, even if 950,000 aren't enthusiasts, the poll may only garner a result of 100,000 non-enthusiasts. Whereas those 50,000 enthusiasts will be far more likely to respond, since they are interested in it's field of examination. And suddenly the 5% of that million that are enthusiasts hold a much larger percentage of the results (i.e., if 40,000 enthusiasts do respond, the results would show that almost 29% of the pop. are enthusiasts). And all those numbers are completely and totally arbitrary.

The same trend can be found in any voluntary polling. In this case, I would imagine gay people would be more inclined to participate in the poll. I know I didn't vote for a very long time, simply because I didn't feel compelled to do so (I'm straight). And with the fantastically open and accepting community TPR has, I'm not surprised more and more gay enthusiasts aren't hesitating to respond. So basically, I dunno how well this particular poll would reflect the enthusiast community as a whole, since this sample is probably a bit skewed.

No clue where you read that, but the popular 10% figure actually comes from the Kinsey Reports published in 1948, stating that about 10% of the men surveyed were exclusively homosexual for at least three years of their life between the ages of 16 and 55 with about 2-6% for women (Another interesting statistic is that the Kinsey report also said about 37% of males and 13% of females had at least one homosexual experience in their life). And truth be told there will never be an official statistic as to how many people are actually gay as different surveys mean "gay" in different ways or there are those like that one guy early in this thread that said he was gay but then later found God and was straight and there are more then enough of those out there. More recent studies fall anywhere between <1% up to 13% which is still far below what seems to be present on here. No theories on that from my end other then maybe it's the safe "danger" that appeals to the "straight" side of guys. *shrug*

^^I noticed the large amount of gay enthusiasts before this poll ever existed though. Every event I have ever attended has always had a pretty big gay turnout...one ACE event seemed more like a Pride Festival.

I understand what you are saying though. I probably would never have clicked on the topic and participated in the poll if I weren't gay myself, but I do see a correlation between the two.

No clue where you read that, but the popular 10% figure actually comes from the Kinsey Reports published in 1948, stating that about 10% of the men surveyed were exclusively homosexual for at least three years of their life between the ages of 16 and 55 with about 2-6% for women (Another interesting statistic is that the Kinsey report also said about 37% of males and 13% of females had at least one homosexual experience in their life). And truth be told there will never be an official statistic as to how many people are actually gay as different surveys mean "gay" in different ways or there are those like that one guy early in this thread that said he was gay but then later found God and was straight and there are more then enough of those out there. More recent studies fall anywhere between <1% up to 13% which is still far below what seems to be present on here. No theories on that from my end other then maybe it's the safe "danger" that appeals to the "straight" side of guys. *shrug*

I don't think its mentally possible to change ones orientation, maybe physically but not mentally. But that's just what I think.

I don't think its mentally possible to change ones orientation, maybe physically but not mentally. But that's just what I think.

Me too, hell - I tried. Plus, there have been studies, etc., til they were blue in the face, and they always prove what we think as well. God made up like we are, all colors and all sexual orientations, genders, etc...

Me too, hell - I tried. Plus, there have been studies, etc., til they were blue in the face, and they always prove what we think as well. God made up like we are, all colors and all sexual orientations, genders, etc...

I don´t wan´t to become to religious, but I think, first of all, God made us as humans, no matter what kind of sexual orientation we are!!! Merry Christmas!!

Anyone else find it funny that a thirteen year old is trying to explain homosexuality and percentages?

Not a flame or personal attack, just saying, really dude?