TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

I'm 6'5", and pretty muscular. I'm sure he fit fine

I'm not sure. He was ~5-6, probably 250lb, all muscle. His thighs were nearly as big as my waist.

A weightlifter acquaintance of mine would likely have difficulty too for similar reasons.

I've seen more than a few of his build not fit WE or MM.

But yeh, most of the people that don't fit are not bodybuilders/weight lifters.

Where in the park can you buy this magical cinnamon bread everyone talks about?

(My first visit to DW is coming up July 25--29)

The grist mill. It's near the entrance of Craftsman's valley and has a big water wheel on it. You can't miss it. ou can enter on top sort of near the S&S swing too.

TL:DR test seats lie.

Name one time when the test seat was a GO but the ride was a NOGO.

(and not when you had people smash the restraints for you)

They may turn away faster, but if the test said GO then you won't have issues.

It's the NOGOs that try anyway that spend 5 minutes trying to get a GO on the ride and end up with an uncomfortable experience.

If someone want to test the limits, do it when not busy.

But honestly, I've seldom seen big guys use the test seats. Normally it's kids or females.

ou can enter on top sort of near the S&S swing too.

That would be Owens Farm, across from the entrance to Barnstormer and Mountain Slidewinder.

The latter being a nice, unusual ride and great views of Wild Eagle on the walk to the top.

It's also one of the older rides there, and one of the first after Dolly got involved, being added in '87.

Edited by STDog

TL:DR test seats lie.

Name one time when the test seat was a GO but the ride was a NOGO.

(and not when you had people smash the restraints for you)

They may turn away faster, but if the test said GO then you won't have issues.

It's the NOGOs that try anyway that spend 5 minutes trying to get a GO on the ride and end up with an uncomfortable experience.

If someone want to test the limits, do it when not busy.

But honestly, I've seldom seen big guys use the test seats. Normally it's kids or females.

So sorry to slow down your day in your perfect world. What I am saying is I have had the test seat tell me I was too big when I was able to fit so I don't use them anymore.

Where in the park can you buy this magical cinnamon bread everyone talks about?

(My first visit to DW is coming up July 25--29)

The grist mill. It's near the entrance of Craftsman's valley and has a big water wheel on it. You can't miss it. ou can enter on top sort of near the S&S swing too.

Thanks!

^ But really. I'm sure this will offend someone, but perhaps rather than the trains getting smaller, we're getting bigger.

Bingo.

That why they have test seats at the entrances. But few big people bother to use them. They assume they will fit instead of checking. Sorry if you are 250+ lbs you should check. If heavy for you height, check too.

At DW I see people with problems often on WE and MM. maybe not every train, bit if the queue is full you will see at least one before you ride. Even a few on TT.

Dollywood specifically states that anyone over 200 lbs should try the test seat. If you are over 200 lbs and waste your time in line because you get denied, you can only blame yourself for not trying the test seat. Yes, some test seats are a bit tighter than on the ride, but it's usually very close. I barely get the green light on the test seat and using my own power barely got it on the ride as well. Although I've had seats on RMC's vary wildly from suffocating me to I can put my hand under the entire restraint when it's cleared good to go.

I think they choose a "low" weight of 200 lbs to try the test seat because people all carry their weight differently. I am heavy (289) but my weight is very spread out. People that probably weighed like 230 were denied because they had big guts. Just try the test seat!

So sorry to slow down your day in your perfect world. What I am saying is I have had the test seat tell me I was too big when I was able to fit so I don't use them anymore.

Really sucks on a hot day to sit in the brake run while one guy fights to get in a seat he's too big for. All because he's smarter than the ride ops that put the test seats out there to prevent such issues.

If the test seat doesn't give you a GO comfortably, then you shouldn't be on the ride.

If you ever manage to find seats that you do comfortable sit in (or reduce size so you fit comfortably) I'll bet the ride is more fun.

And the same goes for small people, who while tall enough, end up loose in the restraints. My daughter really doesn't like a few rides because she's really not quite big enough for them. Sure they hold her safely, but the ride is less fun. Thunderhead in particular, with the bar all the way down she slides around in the seat. A few yeas ago this applied to TT and MM too, though less of an issue than TH.

In the sweltering heat of last weekend, sitting on the brake run waiting on the train ahead to dispatch was not fun, especially when a rider was delaying the dispatch by struggling to fit into a seat. First world problem? Yes. But if this is going to be a long-term issue, it wouldn't hurt to throw up a roof over that short stretch of track. It seems to be working for the bees.

While on the subject of heat, the overflow queue, although covered, could really use some of those misting fans from Wilderness Pass.

After watching videos of the two latest RMC creations, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. Both Lightning Rod and Wildfire look fantastic.

2. Both Dollywood and Kolmarden have the most beautiful settings possible for a roller coaster this side of Ocean Park in Hong Kong.

Edited by cfc

aww poor you having to sit on a brake run for an extra 30 seconds.

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold.

It would be hell just waiting to get off because the sun is beaming on you. While someone is arguing.

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold

14e50ab352749195f0cb2cc0cebfb4c3.jpg

In my whole life I had never had a problem fitting a RMC coaster. I've ridden Outlaw, New Texas Giant, Goliath, Iron Ratler and never even needed that extra push. However last year I was at SFNE and rode Wicked Cyclone both in the front and last row (and I fit just fine) and before leaving the park that day I decided I wanted to ride it one more time. Since I had already ridden in both front and back, I decided I was gonna seat at whatever seat it was originally assigned to me. So I got to my seat (row 3 or 4 maybe?), pulled down the lapbar and the operator told me it didn't fit. I told her that was odd, cause I had ridden that coaster twice that day. Assuming that seat had a much less foriginvg sensor than the others, I asked her if I could exit the train and wait for the next one to ride at either the front or back, where I had previously ridden before and fit with room to spare. She told me that every seat was the same and that if I don't fit one, I won't fit any of them (which we all know it's a lie regarding RMC). In the end they pushed a bit harder and I was ok to go, but this proves that sometimes it's not the riders fault and that operators should be more prepared to deal with that kind of situation.

Edited by Mrenata

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold

14e50ab352749195f0cb2cc0cebfb4c3.jpg

If only we could Survivor-style vote someone off TPR each month. Month might not be often enough, so weekly could work too.

I think the fluffier users on TPR do a pretty good job informing each other on which rides require extra attention. Let's let the experts give each other advice, okay?

If only we could Survivor-style vote someone off TPR each month. Month might not be often enough, so weekly could work too.

You know that would also affect yourself. So you want to deactivate your account next month?

You know that would also affect yourself. So you want to deactivate your account next month?

Who said he'd be voted off?

Ahhhh, so here's the definition of irony. Poster posts this lovely pile o' crap.....

Easier said then done. Just like when you wish you were very cold when you are hot and when your cold, you wish it was 40 degrees. (Celsius) So when it's actually 40 degrees on a regular day, you ask yourself why did I wish it was 40 degrees when it was cold.

Then follows up one post later with this.....

Perhaps you should take your own advice then??

The forum has spoken.....*snuffs out torch*

Getting that out of the way, I have to say the POV's for LR look even more AMAZING than I imagined!! What a beauty of a coaster!! Just wow! That airtime on the quad down just looks

As for those complaining about the "extra time" spent while others are taking too long to board the ride or whatever, methinks you're being a smidge dramatic. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, and I would certainly hope that wouldn't ruin your day at a fine park like Dollywood!

Who said he'd be voted off?

Who said he wouldn't?