TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Is the Tapatalk signature even that big of a deal? Just don't read that part

I find it annoying to edit out when quoting posts.

Forum signatures don't get quoted like the TT sig.

Email apps are just as annoying when they don't follow the rules to prevent quoting.

Back on topic, why hasn't RMC issued a public statement on the closures/recall?

From The RMC point is they started to have problems with joker lap bars and traced it to a part and had RMC rides Closed to check for that failure. Im sure they don't want to have another Texas Giant thing happen. So they closed them to check parts and replace if needed.

^ It's nice to see someone on here (especially someone in their teens) that can overlook the disappointment of LR being down and still have a really awesome time at a great theme park with their family.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - your parents should be proud!

Agreed! Lightning Rod was closed when I was there last year, and I still had a great time!

Great. But Lightning Rod wasn't "open" and being heavily marketed last year. It was a construction site - now that you think about it... That's actually pretty similar to this year after all.

I forgot to screenshot it, but the part recall in regards to Lightning Rod is currently a trending topic on Facebook's ticker.

Yeah I saw that yesterday, which is dumb but it did lead to some funny comments by people. One lady said her husband had bad feeling about "that new ride", and didn't get on it, and now that it's closed that feeling must have been a sign from god to stay off the new rolley coaster ride......

Or it could just be a bad part identified by the manufacturer to be replaced, no divine intervention necessary.

I went to Dollywood yesterday, and of course I was bummed about LR being down, but that didn't stop me from having an amazing time. I had probably the best eating experience ever at a theme park (Aunt Granny's Buffet), and the rides weren't too shabby either. My family and I started off the day with Barnstormer. OMG! What a crazy, fun ride! If that's not the definition of airtime, I don't know what is. We then trekked over to Wild Eagle, FireChaser, and Tennessee Tornado. I rode WE in the front and the back, and what a fun ride. We then walked over to FCE. This is definitely the best family coaster I have ever ridden. TT was amazing as well! Who knew Arrow could actually make a pretty smooth coaster? We then all hiked over to Rockin' Roadway to get some great views of LR. We ended up getting stuck and evacuated, which was a fun first-time experience for me. We ended up riding this about 4 more times throughout the day just for the pure fun of it. We then saw the Brad Ross Magic Show, and it was really good. We then walked over to Thunderhead, and OMG OMG OMG!!! I rode in the very back of this coaster for the first time, and that was the second best experience I have ever had on a coaster, behind Fury 325. We ended up riding 4 more times, because the ride was a walk-on. After that, we took the short walk to Mystery Mine, and this was far from disappointing as well. The fire just added to the great overall experience. We went around riding everything else at least two more times before closing out the night with the last ride on WE. We are going back Wednesday and are hoping for the best with LR. But if it's not open, I'm sure we will have just as fun as we did yesterday!

Remember when RMC publicly threw their subcontractor under the bus way back in March? And then directed all questions about the opening to the Dollywood?

This thing has been a fail from the beginning. I hope they can get their act together.

Probably because it isn't really something the public needs to be concerned with.

It might not have been initially, but when 2 parks made the recall public in the manner they did (casting doubt on other rides) it is in RMC's best interest to be open and clear about it.

A simple statement that some part only used on A, B, etc. Is being recalled due to a possible defect.

Like other recalls, clearly stating the affected rides clears the others. Leaving it so open makes others suspect.

That's one thing I don't understand from Dollywood or RMC. All the delays are totally understandable however by both being so closed about what's happening it obviously frustrates some people.

Certainly enthusiasts would probably be a lot more tolerant (some of us are anyway but I get why people aren't also) if they knew the nature of what was happening.

As for the latest recall, yes I agree it a go PR move to state the affected rides so Joe Public isn't worried about other rides, but RMC is probably not allowed to release details about their customers rides to be fair.

I also feel they probably are not realeasing what it is as its to do with the restraint and that could scare people.

I also feel they probably are not realeasing what it is as its to do with the restraint and that could scare people.

That's the point, it's scaring people now. Confirm what's going on.

GM announcing a problem with 2016 cars doesn't cause much concern for 2015 or 2014 cars and certainly not for 2010 models.

If it's limited to 2 models from 2016, few would be concerned about other 2016 models either.

As I said though, I'm sure RMC aren't permitted to release anything about one of their customers rides, so it would be up to each park to comment. Likewise one park really can't issue a statement about another's ride specifically.

It's a bit different to say a consumer level product recall when the public at large owns the items in question. Frustrating yes, but not much can be done really.

What do you guys think the best Alpine coaster in the area is? Haven't done any of them and I hope to hit one up this evening.

In my opinion, the Goat Coaster is the best, but you definitely cannot miss the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster, which seems to be much more popular, for very good reasons. I personally prefer Goat Coaster because I love the seemingly constant turns on it, but SMAC is definitely my second favorite, and I prefer night rides on SMAC to the Goat Coaster. If you have the chance to try both, I would do both, but if you had to pick ONE, go with SMAC.

What do you guys think the best Alpine coaster in the area is? Haven't done any of them and I hope to hit one up this evening.

In my opinion, the Goat Coaster is the best, but you definitely cannot miss the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster, which seems to be much more popular, for very good reasons. I personally prefer Goat Coaster because I love the seemingly constant turns on it, but SMAC is definitely my second favorite, and I prefer night rides on SMAC to the Goat Coaster.

I agree with the others, preferring the Goat Coaster. But both are great and worth doing.

I can't say the same about the one in Gatlinburg or the one at Ober Gatlinburg. While I've never personally rode either, the info I have found tells me not to bother as the other two are far better. I guess if you were at Ober and would be able to get to the good ones it might be OK. Or if you were in Gatlinburg and on foot.

Also, I liked them both (SMAC and Goat) better at night before all the lights and headlights on the cars (the lighting at night has increased over time). I keep trying to convince one or both to do blackout or tail-lights-only rides around Halloween.

I actually preferred the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster, though it was the shortest. I hated the Ober Gatlinburg coaster for a multitude of reasons: the coaster was really rattly, the cost of the tram ride to get to the coaster, the wait to get on the tram, then wait for the actual coaster. All in all, I strongly disliked my Ober Gatlinburg experience, but the other 3 mountain coasters are well worth your time!

Dollywood, literally wth.... Yes that's the train on the pre-launch there and that's smoke. Just now posted on IG

Are you freaking serious? Well, it's just one more thing on the list of things to fix on it... Really losing faith in getting a chance to ride it next month. Doesn't bother me though, I'll just ride Thunderhead all day instead!

After hearing the recall news I was doubting a ride next week but this is just icing on that cake of disappointment. Oh well I suppose but don't know when I'll be able to get back to Dollywood. Hopefully I can just have a good time over the three days I'll be there (had great time in 06 and 07 so I don't doubt it).