TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

19 hours ago, I306 said:

Someone in one of the Dollywood groups on Facebook said they called the park and were told that the Timesaver reservation facility inside the park is allocated 100 each day. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

When calling the park 5 times, you might get 5 different answers from 5 different Dollywood phone reps. You cannot believe everything they tell you because they don't always have the correct answers, which is unfortunate. At least you can check on the website and see how many are available for pre-order. I've never seen them sold out online then checked at the park to see if they get any additional inside the park, but I will check the next time I go, as I always get there an hour early.

3 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

When calling the park 5 times, you might get 5 different answers from 5 different Dollywood phone reps. You cannot believe everything they tell you because they don't always have the correct answers, which is unfortunate. At least you can check on the website and see how many are available for pre-order. I've never seen them sold out online then checked at the park to see if they get any additional inside the park, but I will check the next time I go, as I always get there an hour early.

Yeah I ended up getting one. I should have asked the guy there how many they typically have on hand each day. They’d know better than customer service. But it makes sense that they’d have at least some at the park to account for no-shows.

10 hours ago, tndank said:

You ended up having a good day I306?  Seems like weather was off and on all day.  Hopefully you got a bunch done in the park and had some Lighting Rod rain rides.

I'm in Knoxville, and it rained a lot of the day yesterday and very hard at times and there was some (not a lot) lightning, so hopefully the rides stayed open most of the day and the crowds were probably small due to the rain. I've gone to the park later in the day after heavy rains have stopped and been there with just a handful of people. Works every time, but you have to watch the weather and hope it is accurate. Don't want to drive there if it is going to start raining again.

20 hours ago, tndank said:

You ended up having a good day I306?  Seems like weather was off and on all day.  Hopefully you got a bunch done in the park and had some Lighting Rod rain rides.

Eh, it was alright. The rides were up and down due to the weather. I did get my first-ever Lightning Rod rollback which was a fitting way to end the day. Seems like it still doesn't play well with the rain.

Speaking of which, it doesn't look like it had a good day today: https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/ride.php?ride=Lightning Rod&day=2021-03-28

Was in the park yesterday...

Proper mask usage is probably hovering around 25% across guests and employees. 

Physical distancing non-existent. Might as well take the markers up from the ground. 

Employee enforcement of either isn't a thing. 

If you're even a little worried about COVID, which I gather noone living in this area is, then avoid at all costs. 

We got to the park around 3pm and it was a rather nice day. The rain must have scared people away. Walked onto everything, except Lightning Rod, which was closed up until 30 minutes before the park closed. We got in line, and watched it roll back. I just assume that I will never ride this ride. 

I'm actually in line for rope drop right now, so here's hoping. I don't see it testing, so I imagine it's down for the day. 

I guess I’m aloof, but I felt that mask compliance was well over 50%. And I was surprised by the number of employees I saw reminding guests to wear them correctly. I’m very covid-conscious (a lifelong germaphobe) and never felt that uncomfortable aside from a few spots in queues where physical distancing was nonexistent. But I can at least control the space between me and the party ahead of me. Leading by example. Thankfully, the storms thinned out the crowds so it was never too bad. And Timesaver definitely helped prevent spending too much time waiting in line close to others. Plus, I think it’s widely agreed upon that the risk of outdoor covid transmission is incredibly low, so even moderate crowds don’t concern me that much. And the park is large enough that it’s fairly easy to steer clear of any bottlenecks.

Pigeon Forge, on the other hand, was a total clusterfuck. I went straight from the park to my hotel. I felt like I was driving through the covid convention.

I feel for the park and the ongoing issues with LR. The one good thing I guess is that the money they spent on the new track will ensure that the coaster is here for the long-haul. Hopefully they’ll be able to get it working reliably — with both trains. As much as I love it, an hour is the longest I can wait.

^&^^ Thank you both for your reports.  I really hope Lightning Rod can get somewhat reliable, I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous after this long and after taking it down for over half a year. 

I really hope that we can get the Covid thing under control because the reports I keep hearing from everyone about Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg make me want to stay away.  I was pleasantly surprised while in Texas as we only ran into two places in a week that were scary no masks as if Covid didn't exist.  Sounds like Tennessee would be worse. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

^&^^ Thank you both for your reports.  I really hope Lightning Rod can get somewhat reliable, I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous after this long and after taking it down for over half a year. 

I really hope that we can get the Covid thing under control because the reports I keep hearing from everyone about Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg make me want to stay away.  I was pleasantly surprised while in Texas as we only ran into two places in a week that were scary no masks as if Covid didn't exist.  Sounds like Tennessee would be worse. 

What’s most concerning about PF and Gatlinburg is that the visitor demographic tends to skew older to the more vulnerable populations. I told myself that all the seniors I saw were probably already vaccinated, but that’s unlikely given the number of people in the state and surrounding areas who aren’t taking it.

The day is still young, but it appears LR is already struggling.

https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/ride.php?ride=Lightning Rod&day=2021-03-29

Sigh.

Yeah, I mean I get it...these are not exactly simple toys and it is still kinda early, kinks will always need some time to iron out (and I'm assuming they will be in a month and half from now) but it IS a little odd that after the huge retracking it's running....not terribly consistently and with just 1 train.

I guess this is where I wish I knew the engineering aspects....like I have no doubt there are understandable reasons, but to a pleb like me it is like "what's the issue?" "How can there be issues running 2 trains its all RMC, whats the problem?" "I thought the problem was track deterioration, with that resolved why are the trains acting up?/Whats going on?" if anyone knows feel free to let me know! (If don't wanna make it a public thing esp as they tend to draw random debates feel free to PM me) 

EDIT: On another note. Even some of the not usual grumblers were a bit grumbly about the MM changes. Well, looks like they added trims to the already neutered part? (Note: No idea if active, didn't take photo etc but gotta share)

1616874559263.png

ExgobbcWgAAu0Px.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JJLehto said:

Yeah, I mean I get it...these are not exactly simple toys and it is still kinda early, kinks will always need some time to iron out (and I'm assuming they will be in a month and half from now) but it IS a little odd that after the huge retracking it's running....not terribly consistently and with just 1 train.

I guess this is where I wish I knew the engineering aspects....like I have no doubt there are understandable reasons, but to a pleb like me it is like "what's the issue?" "How can there be issues running 2 trains its all RMC, whats the problem?" "I thought the problem was track deterioration, with that resolved why are the trains acting up?/Whats going on?" if anyone knows feel free to let me know! (If don't wanna make it a public thing esp as they tend to draw random debates feel free to PM me) 

EDIT: On another note. Even some of the not usual grumblers were a bit grumbly about the MM changes. Well, looks like they added trims to the already neutered part? (Note: No idea if active, didn't take photo etc but gotta share)

Haha that's my photo! (shameless Coaster101 Twitter plug) I was surprised by the little pop of airtime that drop provided. It's deceiving. I didn't even notice the trims until one of the "grumblers" pointed it out. If they were turned on, I didn't notice.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, I306 said:

Haha that's my photo! (shameless Coaster101 Twitter plug) I was surprised by the little pop of airtime that drop provided. It's deceiving. I didn't even notice the trims until one of the "grumblers" pointed it out. If they were turned on, I didn't notice.

Plug away! We're a community, we transcend all websites! 
Oh nice! Pop of airtime better than none! And given I heard it used to be mad janky and violent perhaps it really was a change for the better

18 hours ago, I306 said:

What’s most concerning about PF and Gatlinburg is that the visitor demographic tends to skew older to the more vulnerable populations. I told myself that all the seniors I saw were probably already vaccinated, but that’s unlikely given the number of people in the state and surrounding areas who aren’t taking it.

The day is still young, but it appears LR is already struggling.

https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/ride.php?ride=Lightning Rod&day=2021-03-29

Sigh.

I live in Knoxville and in all of Eastern Tennessee, but especially Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and Gatlinburg, the COVID mask mandates and social distancing are almost entirely ignored. Just last night, the Knox county commission voted to strip the health department of all powers in the fight against COVID. That's how backwards it is here.

However, I have found compliance at Dollywood to be pretty good, at around 75% percent for mask wearing, but no social distancing, which is unfortunate. When I am in line and ask people to step back, they get an attitude, like I am making my own rules. There are blue stickers on the floor that are supposed to be adhered to, but ignored by 95% of the guests. I so see and hear ride operators asking people to wear their masks when on the rides, but nobody is enforcing it while in the queues. CDC guidelines also state that masks must still be work after vaccinations have taken place, so having a vaccine is NOT an excuse to not wear a mask. Dollywood needs to do better with enforcement, but they just don't have the staff. Everyone knows the rules before going, so if you are anti-mask, don't visit the park. They need to start removing guests that aren't following the rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Everyone knows the rules before going, so if you are anti-mask, don't visit the park.

While I agree with this sentiment and yes, of course all guests should follow the park rules, we’ve all been dealing with this for a year now, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that compliance and enforcement of mask policies is going to be hit or miss. We see it at the grocery store, the gym, the mall, hell even on airplanes where rule following  is traditionally excellent. It’ll only get worse this summer as more and more people get vaccinated and cases/deaths drop, because I’m sure masks and distancing will be with us at all parks for the entire 2021 season. So if anyone here is the type of person to get bent out of shape over a mask being worn under a nose, or a 16 year old kid park employee not telling a grown man to wear their mask properly, or if you insist on telling the group behind you to please stand on their blue dot, maybe you should rethink your park plans this summer as well. 

- Me, who just wore his mask properly outdoors walking through downtown Seattle to the gym even though no one would have said anything had I not, and who’s had his vaccine. 

*None of that was directed toward u4icmusic specifically, just a blanket statement for all 2021 parkgoers. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Do they plan to just leave the extra MM track as "broken theming" or are there plans to remove it and spruce up that a little?  Could use a little TLC with some flowers or make it not so rigid looking being next to a busy walkway.  Assuming they opened it to get butts in seats for the ride.  Didn't know if anyone knew more.

With respect to LR, I'm also VERY interested in the problems now.  Is it a train and launch software/hardware not marrying correctly?  I don't recall reports of SO many rollbacks.  Lucky I got to ride it the opening month of its original debut years ago.....it was mind blowing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southpuddle said:

While I agree with this sentiment and yes, of course all guests should follow the park rules, we’ve all been dealing with this for a year now, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that compliance and enforcement of mask policies is going to be hit or miss. We see it at the grocery store, the gym, the mall, hell even on airplanes where rule following  is traditionally excellent. It’ll only get worse this summer as more and more people get vaccinated and cases/deaths drop, because I’m sure masks and distancing will be with us at all parks for the entire 2021 season. So if anyone here is the type of person to get bent out of shape over a mask being worn under a nose, or a 16 year old kid park employee not telling a grown man to wear their mask properly, or if you insist on telling the group behind you to please stand on their blue dot, maybe you should rethink your park plans this summer as well. 

- Me, who just wore his mask properly outdoors walking through downtown Seattle to the gym even though no one would have said anything had I not, and who’s had his vaccine. 

*None of that was directed toward u4icmusic specifically, just a blanket statement for all 2021 parkgoers. 

While I do agree with you. The rules are the rules at this time. The difference between Kings Island and Dollywood in terms of enforcing  COVID rules is like night and day. Both parks employ 16 year olds, but at Kings Island, they have employees actively going through the queues and and making sure groups are spaced at least 6 feet apart. I also feel that since we've been doing this for a year now that people should know better. Guests should not have to be told to stay on their blue lines (the circles are gone) or ask people to wear their masks properly. It should be automatic and there should be no argument or begging people to do the right thing. It's not a big deal and everyone knows what six feet looks like. People have the right to get bent out of shape, especially now that cases are up all over the country. The fault falls squarely on the people not following the posted rules and not on the guests that want the rules enforced.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

While I do agree with you. The rules are the rules at this time. The difference between Kings Island and Dollywood in terms of enforcing  COVID rules is like night and day. Both parks employ 16 year olds, but at Kings Island, they have employees actively going through the queues and and making sure groups are spaced at least 6 feet apart. I also feel that since we've been doing this for a year now that people should know better. Guests should not have to be told to stay on their blue lines (the circles are gone) or ask people to wear their masks properly. It should be automatic and there should be no argument or begging people to do the right thing. It's not a big deal and everyone knows what six feet looks like. People have the right to get bent out of shape, especially now that cases are up all over the country. The fault falls squarely on the people not following the posted rules and not on the guests that want the rules enforced.

Kings Island hasn't opened for 2021 yet. I mean I get your point but I'll be shocked if the adherence to the covid policy's in 2021 is anywhere close to as good as it was in 2020, in general at most parks at least. 

1 hour ago, Hilltopper39 said:

Kings Island hasn't opened for 2021 yet. I mean I get your point but I'll be shocked if the adherence to the covid policy's in 2021 is anywhere close to as good as it was in 2020, in general at most parks at least. 

We will have to wait and see. There's no reason to get lax about social distancing and wearing masks now when a possible 4th wave is around the corner. We should be even more vigilant now, even though we are all tired of the mandates. They are there for a reason and until we get heard immunity, if we ever do, then I expect the mandates will remain in effect to prevent employees and guests from getting Covid while at the parks. I don't see why Kings Island would not be doing the same protocols as last year since most Americans still have not been vaccinated. I also think being outdoors helps, but distancing is still possible and should be followed. You don't get on the rides any quicker by standing close together, so what is the harm in spreading out some for everyone's safety? It's common sense. Here is the link to the full article. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/how-to-stay-safe-from-covid-this-summer-according-to-experts

COVIDRULES.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^ Exactly

We all know that there is some degree of risk whenever we leave our homes and we've all decided long ago what we're each comfortable with. Hilltopper is 100% right. Less and less people care every single day at basically every park. Even at Disney, which is really the gold standard there was a huge difference between our August trip and our trip a few months ago.

As for Kings Island, personally I hope the park pulls back on some of their policies like loading B&M's in such a stupid manner that I would rather sign a waiver that says "I would rather get covid and die than watch you load coaster trains like this for one more cycle". As for social distancing? Yeah... people should do that. Even without a global pandemic I like my personal space but people love crowding people in line for reasons that I will never ever understand.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We bought season passes in November 2019 to run through 2020 season. Didn't visit last year. Got our first Vaccine shot last week, so we plan to visit before our passes expire on June 15th. I pretty much expected compliance to be very very poor at Dollywood. The demographics are so different. Not only are you in a different part of the country, you have a large portion of the guests coming NOT for thrills (ie- older).

I'm sure we'll be a bit unhappy at the lack of compliance, but I'll be at ease because I'll still be doing the right thing and have my immunity. It just wasn't something I felt like I could handle without having the vaccine, but acknowledge everyone's situation / tolerance is different.

• Like 1