TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I mean, the reason I am saying what I am saying is because I have been on it every year for the last four or so years and it is absolutely significantly worse this year than years past.

Same. I've ridden it every time I've been to Dollywood over the past three years and this last time was significantly the worst experience we've had on it. Previously the layout was more than enough to overlook the mild amount of rattling you'd get from a woodie with character like that, but this time, it was just shaky to the point of unenjoyability. I'm not saying I hope they RMC it -- that's my kid who's an unabashed RMC fanboy -- but I definitely think they need to work on it and maybe replace some wheels on the trains, because it felt like we were riding on octagons.

I mean, the reason I am saying what I am saying is because I have been on it every year for the last four or so years and it is absolutely significantly worse this year than years past.

My comment to you earlier was wait and see how the planned rework goes. (Which you conveniently didn't quote)

They did a section the last off season and in the spring said they planned more this year. So instead if hoping someone was paying attention, as if they had no intention of continuing the work on it, wait and see what they had planned.

While it may be a bit rougher than 2-3 years ago, it's still fine in my book. I don't want every woodie to be smooth as steel. Even new they weren't back 50 years ago, and I want to keep that traditional feel.

I've also ridden several RMC reworks and they loose a lot of woodie character. Fun rides sure, but not really woodies any more.

OK has thunderhead got more rough because I rode front row on Saturday it was still good but really rough it just may be the front seat

I thought it was fantastic and maybe a little retracting to make it a bit less rough and It may have also been a bit wamer than

the usual that day at dollywood during that time of the year and rmc thunderhead is stupid It was fine besides the roughness and I did get a lot of air time while my bar was a bit High but still locked It may have been me coming back into my seat

I've never found this coaster to be rough or uncomfortable at all, only aggressive.
I think this is part of the reason people say this coaster is rough...it's because it's a really aggressive layout. That along with the fact that it is a wooden coaster and not a steel coaster. I know that's stating the obvious but aggressive and rough are two totally different things.

• 2 weeks later...

They group on the lower platform, but 2x its happened where no one actually goes to those lanes once they go up the steps and it totally defeats the purpose. I don’t understand this change. There no communication to the upper deck, so no one really knows what lane people are supposed to be in.

I haven't been able to figure out their changes on the LR line. It was fine earlier this season. Now some poor grouper is trying to assign seats on the 2nd floor. Then they have to constantly run upstairs because most don't go to their assigned rows. So much time and energy wasted and looks like a pain the ass for the grouper to keep going up and down. And it doesn't seem to really solve anything.

Mini Golf had a full lot lol and Jurassic Jungle Boat had 3 or 4 REAL cars. Then their two fake cars that never move

It's no biggie, we are locals and the entire area was swamped. One of the first times I've ever seen Dollywood turning people away though

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Their Facebook was trying to tell people to hold off coming until 6:00 hoping people would leave I guess

The park never hit capacity, but they were turning people away who needed to park. People were parked in the grass and pretty much anywhere they could find.

It was a very pretty day today though so not surprised

I'm starting to put the feelers out for another trip next year...

At about what time of year do the leaves seriously start to turn to autumn colors in the area? I'd really like to catch the park at that time, but before the park gets decked out in the Harvest Festival decoration (which starts September 25th).

Aha, that helps. I really wanted to go during the "vanilla" Dollywood season but seeing the autumn colors in the national park has to be unparalleled. October it is!

In terms of?

It's early season. They'll be short staffed in some areas but everything should be open so you'll only notice if the park is super busy. It's also Festival of Nations which is an event that I personally kind of enjoy even though it gets a lot of hate. Some of the shows are pretty cool.

Note that unlike most parks, the park isn't open on Easter day because this park is the Jesusyest park to ever exist on planet earth.

Edited by coasterbill

Sat April 11th might be very busy, it depends on the weather honestly. I've been late March, early April and on a very pretty weekend, you can expect some of their largest crowds of the year, right behind Christmas.

That's because late March, early April is very pretty around here. It can be low 70s, plenty of sunshine and that's when the locals feel the place up.

If it's colder, the crowds will be much smaller.

I've seen some of the Easter Saturday's be really dead and some be crowded.

^ I'm sure the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride is a walk-on. Head over that way and play some mini-golf while you're at it.

Don't act like the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride isn't worth it!

If I'm extremely drunk it's definitely good for an obnoxious silly time. Otherwise it's mostly good for naps, haha.

Also, seriously what is their monthly payment for that real estate? $20? Every time I've passed by there is zero business.