TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

I'm really interested in seeing how this ride turns out. I know it's a smallish family coaster, but I'm thinking the theming elements will be terriffic, and the ride itself looks like it has a couple of awesome airtime moments. Plus it will have that nifty restraint system which IMO is the best on the market currently.

^Those weren't rumors. Plans fell through due to the city & sale of Busch parks. But that rumored ride was the intended ride. Initial preparation was well underway when the ride got shelved.

that's a sad story. It probably would have been well received. I can foresee this attraction being average.

Well that was quick at that rate this thing will be built in no time, I think this is going to be the sleeper hit of 2012. I'm not expecting Intamin airtime or intensity but I think the looks are going to be deceiving on this coaster and it's going to be much more thrilling then it may look. Some of the bunny hops look like they may have the best airtime in CA even for a family coaster lol I'm not a big fan of SW but I will be making my way down to try this Manta out.

• 2 weeks later...

From SWSD's Facebook page.

Onward and Upward!! More support columns have been erected on the Manta construction site.The first track pieces should be installed next month. Woohoo, things are starting to really take shape.

312880_10150325782171855_70105691854_7922457_957211856_n.jpg.29bbb92a66f0ea8195ab0f04f0173f70.jpg312880_10150325782181855_70105691854_7922458_1848330579_n.jpg.913617d10be23e02ef1f559dc29718b3.jpg312880_10150325782186855_70105691854_7922459_75834494_n.jpg.efc2db5cb4ebd9971666ea307880d935.jpg

"The first track pieces should be installed next month."

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting New:

According to a SWSD Facebook post, Riptide Rescue is now running fast than before...

SeaWorld San Diego

Woohoo!! Hey thrill seekers and adrenalin junkie Fans, we’ve increased the speed of our Riptide Rescue ride at Turtle Reef. The rotation speed of the base has nearly doubled and the gyro arms have speed up by more than 25%. Because of the increase rotational speeds, we’ve also had to increase the height requirements by a tad. Click here for the details - http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-sandiego/Attractions/Rides/Riptide-Rescue

It's too bad about the height requirement though...

• 2 weeks later...

The first Manta track is vertical.

SeaWorld's planned manta-themed roller coaster ride is making progress toward its spring debut, with the first of 98 sections of track put in place today.

The mammoth construction project, which entails setting the track sections on 100 columns of varying heights, will eventually yield a ride that is expected to last about two minutes along a half-mile of track.

Over the next two months, workers plans to put up three or four sections of track a day, with most pieces in place by the end of the year, said SeaWorld SanDiego spokesman David Koontz.

Approved by the California Coastal Commission earlier this year, the new coaster ride was inspired by a similar attraction at the Orlando park. While SeaWorld officials won't reveal the cost of the project, they have said it is in the tens of millions of dollars.

Read the rest at the San Diego Union Tribune: m.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/31/roller-coaster-update-seaworld-ride-moving-along/

SeaWorld San Diego has sent us a press advisory regarding the placement of Manta's first piece of track in its nearly 1/2 mile course.

Today marks a major milestone in the construction of Manta: the first section of track was set into place! A total of 98 sections will be placed in the coming months, with most of the sections installed by the end of the year. Manta, SeaWorld’s new double launch coaster shaped like a giant manta ray, will open to guests in spring 2012.

The 98 Manta track sections will be set upon 100 columns, the tallest being more than 26 feet. The longest section of track is 36 feet and the heaviest weighs 7,700 pounds. The ride, which will last about two minutes, will include more than a ½ mile of track.

Swooping over sea and sky, Manta will not only inspire riders with amazing underwater animal habitats, but take them on an exhilarating ride on a coaster shaped like a giant manta ray.

Gliding, flying and diving through more than a dozen twists and turns, riders will feel as if they are a ray, taking flight from sky to sea — so close at times that the Manta’s wings skim the waves. Riders and non-riders alike will enjoy the graceful beauty of more than 60 California bat rays, which will be seen through a glass window and can be touched in a shallow lagoon area. The exhibit will also feature diamond rays, guitar fish and more than 1,000 fish native to the California coast.

Manta will be located just north of Rocky Point Preserve. SeaWorld is working with German ride design company MACK, which also engineered the marine-life park’s popular ride, Journey To Atlantis. Guests at SeaWorld’s sister park in Orlando have been enjoying a similar version of Manta since it opened there in 2009.

224875686_mantatrack.thumb.jpg.24a1acaead79d5d61e8b65c0101f8faa.jpg

^ Great reporting, yeesh! Somebody should let them know at Manta in Orlando is the just about the polar opposite of Manta at San Digo.

I mean...they are both blue...they share the same name...so I guess for the GP these two rides will be nearly the same

While on Scorpion at BGT this past weekend a girl in front of me said "This is just like Gwazi!" So basically you are sitting down and you have a lap bar...I guess we can all draw our own conclusions. lol

Blue Fire at Europa got great reviews (I know the stats and style for each ride are completely different), and reviews of Jet Rescue at Sea World Australia from the TPR trip were overwhelmingly positive. Manta West looks like somewhat of a combination of those two rides (mack launched with great trains, and a low quick jet rescue esqu layout) with some seriously impressive themeing, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a surprise hit of the 2012 coaster season.

I've been hearing a lot of people, not neccessarily from TPR, but in general talking loads of crap about SeaWorld SD.

Sure we're not the "favorite son" coughOrlandocough but the park is mainly still, as it was when it was founded; a place for animal and marine life research and development.

The scenery is great, the theming is nice and the park's overall atmosphere is better than a lot of other parks I've visited. While it's not perfect, it's still better than how people say it is most of the time,.

When Manta was announced, the amount of crap the park got seemed to sky-rocket. Just because Manta isn't a super intense B&M flyer that kicks butt doesn't mean it won't be a good ride. I mean, LOOK at how much of the park they've excavated for the ride!

Sea World is doing its first major amusement attraction since 2005, and all people are complaining about is the fact that it's not a "better" attraction. Look at how amazing Fanta's scenery (FL Manta). The amount of detail put in was amazing, and the concept art released for this ride looks to be just as impressive.

This is the ride I look most forward ti riding next year, not because I live near the park, but because it will be a very high quality mix of coaster and animal exhibit combined to bring out the best of both. Sure, it's not super extreme and intense, but the ride experience will great for coaster enthusiasts and the general public alike.

Manta is coming along nicely and I cannot wait to come out (hopefully opening day) and ride this great new addition to Sea World SD's attraction lineup.