TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

Unfortunately Eagle's best airtime hill was removed years ago.

A couple of those drops of the turns in the second half of the ride have ejector air in the back though. And that's fun.

They modified Eagle? That's illegal in my book. That coaster is a landmark, and shouldn't have been modified.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but I believe it was modified many years ago.  In the early 90s when it was changed over to ratcheting lap bars and seat dividers.  At the time the park advertised this as new trains that made the ride faster.  If remember correctly they claimed 70 mph, which seems unlikely in reality.  But I believe there were modifications made including the removal of a hill towards the end of the course and banking of the turn around off the lift hill.

• Like 1

The only major rework of Eagle that I am aware of was slightly more banking on the turns in the ride to make them a bit smoother, and there was a tiny bunny hill that made a double up before the final turn, but that happened I believe in 1990.

• Like 1

I am old enough to remember that Double Up on the last turn before the station.  It was awesome and is sorely missed.

You could hear the train wheels momentarily leave the track and slam back down.  

Steve

4 hours ago, SteveStL said:

I am old enough to remember that Double Up on the last turn before the station.  It was awesome and is sorely missed.

Steve

Does anyone have photos or videos of the double up before it was removed?

Man I wish I could have experienced that sequence.

Airtime pop off of the turnaround (still there), positive Gs, airtime pop on bunny hill, back to positive, then a little float topping the hill into the next curve. With another airtime pop after that curve. And also lats due to less banking. But alas I never rode it in the buzz bar era.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SteveStL said:

Steve

Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to experience it by 4 years. But when first rode it back in 1994, people were commenting about how the wheels would come of the tracks. I couldn't quite tell, but it all make sense now. Maybe they were referring to earlier times before this hump was removed. It was the coaster I had ever rode after the Ninja and I loved it anyway. 

When it comes to the up-stop wheels being in constant use on a wooden coaster, I can swear that was the case in 2015 when I rode Cedar Point's Blue Streak for the first time. It felt like the train was coming off the tracks and slamming back onto the tracks on every hill. But I think it just felt that way. We all looked at the stats and initially wrote of off as a kiddie coaster, riding it just for the sake of a credit. Were we ever caught off guard!  Of the 2 people who came with me, it ended up becoming the favorite of the one though all 3 of us thoroughly enjoyed it. We were so glad that we were able to give it a chance.  

We brought a bigger group in 2016, hyping up the Blue Streak before hand, but it underwhelmed us that year, probably because of the hype. But it seemed decent once again during our last trip in 2017. I'm sure it rides better on some days than others, but I think hype and expectations vs lack thereof are what made most of the difference between our 3 ride experiences. 

Regarding changes on the Eagle...

For the 1990 season of the "New FASTER SCREAMING EAGLE!" the park changed the following:

Replaced original three bench PTC trains with buzz bars to the current two bench configuration - they were an early set of the PTC trailered trains. If my memory is correct, the lead car had both sets of wheels, but the remaining cars just had the rear set. The thought was less friction = faster speeds. I believe that the original trains on the TX Giant had these too? Anyway, they were soon configured to the current two axle configuration. Also, the track was banked at first left curve, the 180 turn and the last right curve, which was also done in the name of "Faster!" I still lament these changes as the original trains (no headrests and seat dividers) with the lesser-banked track gave a much better ride.

The removal of the double-up hump happened sometime around 95 or 96, I think. I can recall when it was done that they left that section unpainted. I can remember thinking "it looks like a tiny portion of Raven track" without the paint.

Tiny bit of trivia - the Eagle opened with 5 car three bench PTC trains. After the first few seasons, they removed the fifth car to run many years as a four car train. You can still  see in the station where the last car used to load.

• Like 1

I am quite upset I didn't get here early enough to share that video! You can see the modification when you ride if you look close, it is after the main turnaround (after the first drop). I am not old enough to have ever experienced the double up, and I was born in 1992! That said, I probably didn't ride eagle until I was about 6, if that gives any frame of reference for time. 

Regardless, yes, Eagle used to have a double up near the end of the course that has since been removed. 

image.thumb.png.fcd00070f3b56b8f02da2ddaeee88f51.png

vs

image.thumb.png.c6abfa48c4fbe804e1380f9373530775.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jackinbox said:

I have a quick question regarding Diamond membership.   When it says "Unlimited Soft Drinks", is that only applicable if I carry around that big cup all day or can I just do regular paper cups?

You have to carry the big cup. I agree with some others that it would be nice if they did it like CF parks where you just scan your card and use a refill station. Those move people through much faster than the cup refills too.

• Like 2

As far as Eagle and the double up; I was 8 when Eagle opened (yes you young uns' I was born in the 60's) so I definitely rode it with the double up. However, being just a kid, not at all knowledgeable about coasters and their elements I really have no memory of that specific element, although I definitely remember the original trains (my Dad used to slide over and squish me) and I do remember the banking being added to the turns; but just don't remember the double up or realizing it had been removed. 

• Like 3

I feel to young to be in this conversation, I was born in 94, and didn't get my first ride on eagle with my dad till I was 12. 😅

My home parks was Kiddeland in Melrose Park and Santa Claus Village in East Dundee 🙃

48 minutes ago, jackinbox said:

When it says "Unlimited Soft Drinks", is that only applicable if I carry around that big cup all day or can I just do regular paper cups?

Gosh I wish Six Flags would copy Cedar Fair, as those members cups are awful, I hate having to lug that thing around. Better yet, copy Holiday World and give us free drinks 😉

• Like 1

Just for the sake of nostalgia... Eagle was my first “big boy” coster as it was for my sister. My sister rode with a another kid her first time and got off crying and didn’t enjoy coasters ever since. My first ride my dad held me down ( I might have been an inch or two too short) and sat next to me. I was hooked from then on out.

^Nobody is too old or young to share! We are all here because we share similar interests in roller coasters and theme parks!

• Like 1

I was born in 1982 and definitely rode with the old trains but that's literally all I specifically remember...being in the old train, then the difference after they changed.  I also remember wanting to ride Jet Scream and not being tall enough...and it was gone in the next year or two and I never got the chance.

Did the old trains have a single lap bar and the new ones were that orange individual foam stuff? You all are sparking my memory. If the “old trains” were single bars then I totally rode it like that and it was wild, that was when my dad had to hold me in! Maybe the new trains are better for that “sense of security” younger riders enjoy. I’d hate for rides to be scaring potential coaster lovers as kids away.

9 hours ago, teacherkim said:

You have to carry the big cup. I agree with some others that it would be nice if they did it like CF parks where you just scan your card and use a refill station. Those move people through much faster than the cup refills too.

Thanks for the info.  I often visit parks by myself, so I guess I'd just have to use the bins by the rides?   

The discount on merchandise, parking, etc will also be good up at Great America, correct?   At least that's the way I'm reading it.

1 hour ago, jackinbox said:

Thanks for the info.  I often visit parks by myself, so I guess I'd just have to use the bins by the rides?   

The discount on merchandise, parking, etc will also be good up at Great America, correct?   At least that's the way I'm reading it.

Most of the membership perks work everywhere.

13 hours ago, teacherkim said:

As far as Eagle and the double up; I was 8 when Eagle opened (yes you young uns' I was born in the 60's) so I definitely rode it with the double up. However, being just a kid, not at all knowledgeable about coasters and their elements I really have no memory of that specific element, although I definitely remember the original trains (my Dad used to slide over and squish me) and I do remember the banking being added to the turns; but just don't remember the double up or realizing it had been removed. 

You got me by one year ... I was 9 in '76.  I rode it opening year with my Siblings.  I almost chickened out when we got to the station and I looked at the height of lift hill.  My sister said 'No way!' and forced me on.  Glad she did :)

• Like 1