TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

God. I love SFGADv, but when it comes to rides, they wipe their butts with gold toliet paper. Bizzaro somehow became their (enthusiasts') "disposible" ride a couple of years ago. This rumor was quiet here, but I still see it now and then over at the SFGADv thread. While I don't all together support the ride rotation program, Bizzaro coming to St. Louis would be the best thing ever. I rode it last year, and it's a smooth ride and moderately intense. It's almost an old school B&M. Missouri and the souring area (up to KI even!) doesn't have a floorless coaster. This would be a great way to market this ride.

Here's a picture angryemobeaver put together a while back in this thread. Original post.

I was told in September that a new coaster in within the next three or four years.

Thus, Im gonna go with a super looper, like Bourbon Street Fireball, for the next season.

No way! If we get one of those Loopers I will get violently ill. One of those things comes every May with the traveling carnival at the South County Mall. People can Ride it there.

It will be interesting to see attendance figures between Holiday World (Thunderbird) and SFSTL (JL) next year at this time.

Ok. Face it. You may not like it but Six Flags does. People that have reviewed it have said that they liked it and were suprised. Its nothing to SCREAM about, but Six Flags could use another flat ride or two.

When you look at their five year plan, you have to realize your are only going to get 2 or maybe 3 HUGE additions, like a coaster or huge dark ride. Especially for SFSTL being one of the parks that they dont seem to care for the most, 2 big rides seems like a safe bet. Lets face it, Six Flags is not just going to throw money at our park, and add a 15 Million Dollar+ Ride every year. We arent magic mountain guys. Thanks,

2 or 3 huge additions in the next five years? Are you serious? We'd be lucky to get 1 or 2 LARGE additions in the next five years. I would consider JL a Large addition. The only addition for this park I would consider HUGE is a big steel monster. I still think too many of our rides are near the end of their life cycle to expect a new area to open. Tidal Wave will be gone soon, Ninja, I think will be gone soon. The Log Flume seems to need some major re-vamping soon. Excalibur seems to be very tempermental, not saying that it will be gone, but many more problems and I think it could be on the chopping block. S:TOP, although newer to us has never seemed to be fully functional in the five years I've been attending the park. Just thinking all these are more likely to be replaced before a "new area" is opened up.

The only way I can see a new area opening up is if it starts with a Huge coaster for one year and then add in 3-4 small carnival type flats in the following years. I think more likely next years addition would be a water coaster in the current paintball area. Has anyone ever noticed the paved path near Big Kahuna continues another 30-40 feet past the entrance to nothing. Seems like this would be an area easier to expand.

Also finally rode Thunder River on my last visit, noticed the patched up water fall area near the end of the ride. If they were trying to use a local tie in by calling it the Bagnall Water Works or whatever it was, do they realize Bagnall was spelled wrong? It's Bagnell Dam at the Lake of the Ozarks.

Anyway I'm going to miss all the previews for JL and hope to get to the park at opening on Friday to give it a whirl.

JLBFM and a Steel Floorless are two rides. Thanks for agreeing with me.

It's official! I'll be traveling from NYC to the midwest to visit Six Flags St. Louis and Holiday World in July. Never been to this part of the country and I'm psyched. I'm most curious about food.

(1) Any can't miss food items in the park? Meals and/or snack food (e.g. funnel cake). A quick glance at the website and most of the stuff looks similar to my home park SFGadv.

(2) Good places to eat surrounding the park? From what I understand there's some great BBQ. Planning to visit AB brewery for a tour in between days at parks.

(3) Anything worthwhile food-wise on the trip between Indiana and St. Louis? Should I just expect a lot of open land and fast food joints off the interstate?

^Try Crown Candy Kitchen, it's near Downtown STL.

If you plan on eating at the park, try JB's Smokehouse, Mooseburger, or the new Kickin Chicken/Go Fresh Cafe combo restaurant. Those are our favorites.

It's official! I'll be traveling from NYC to the midwest to visit Six Flags St. Louis and Holiday World in July. Never been to this part of the country and I'm psyched. I'm most curious about food.

(1) Any can't miss food items in the park? Meals and/or snack food (e.g. funnel cake). A quick glance at the website and most of the stuff looks similar to my home park SFGadv.

(2) Good places to eat surrounding the park? From what I understand there's some great BBQ. Planning to visit AB brewery for a tour in between days at parks.

(3) Anything worthwhile food-wise on the trip between Indiana and St. Louis? Should I just expect a lot of open land and fast food joints off the interstate?

(3) Toasted Ravioli! It's not toasted, naturally.

Make sure to visit the Childrens' Museum.

Not sure whether you mean the Magic House in Kirkwood or the City Museum downtown, but they're both fantastic. Magic House is more for the 12 and under crowd, and is more science-focused. City Museum is for everybody, and is more focused on the arts.

So as of now, the rides that remain closed are:

Marvin the Martian: Camp Invasion

Yosemite Sam Tugboat Tailspin

Highland Fling

-Superman: Tower of Power

Other than Marvin, which I know is waiting on a part, and Highland Fling which was receiving a refresh, what's the status on the other rides?

St. Louis style pizza. For a quick try, you can find Imo's Pizza all over STL. Also Schlaffly tap works or bottle works has great food and beer. Bottle works gives a small tour of the brewery, but tap works is closer to down town and is a more enjoyable experience in my opinion.

The city is pretty safe, but you can get into bad areas quickly. Lock your freaking doors and don't talk to anyone. You'll be able to tell when the area is bad. You don't have anything to worry about in the park area, though. Eurika is pretty decent.

Highland Fling

Other than Marvin, which I know is waiting on a part, and Highland Fling which was receiving a refresh, what's the status on the other rides?

I can't believe T.O.P. is still closed.

Highland Fling

I can't believe T.O.P. is still closed.

I wonder what's wrong with it?¿

Highland Fling

Fling and Tugboat were both open when I was there earlier.

St. Louis style pizza. For a quick try, you can find Imo's Pizza all over STL. Also Schlaffly tap works or bottle works has great food and beer. Bottle works gives a small tour of the brewery, but tap works is closer to down town and is a more enjoyable experience in my opinion.

The city is pretty safe, but you can get into bad areas quickly. Lock your freaking doors and don't talk to anyone. You'll be able to tell when the area is bad. You don't have anything to worry about in the park area, though. Eurika is pretty decent.

Thanks!

I went to the park today and rode justice league. I really like the ride. It was a real step up in quality for six flags. Hopefully they can figure out how to maintain it.

the staff also seems to need to figure out a better way to load the ride. It is fairly low on capacity as is. They were sending out way too many cars with open seats. My car only had four people in it. Either they need to get better at grouping guests or add a single rider line.

Just got back from a full day at the park. Pictures WILL be included!

Just a quick note before I get to JL:BFM, there was not a gold pass early entry today. Not sure if there even is one anymore.

Now on to the good stuff, they had a sort opening ceremony with Dave Roemer and Superman at 11 AM, with a couple quick blasts of fireworks, then the ride "officially opened. Before the ride even opened the entire outside queue was full and slightly overflowing. We jumped in line and almost the entire outside queue fit into the two inside sections. At the point we were at the signs said approximately a 75 minute wait. Well after about 30 minutes we were informed they were having trouble with one of the ride vehicles and would have to spend about 30 minutes to remove the vehicle from the track. A small number of guests left the line, but the majority stayed put.

Just a couple quick observations from the pre-ride experience. The pavement on the old outdoor queue section seemed pretty beat up and should have been re-paved/concreted. The first indoor section of the queue with the JL banners, the banners had a small layer of construction dust on them and one a footprint could almost be seen, small details like this go a long way with me. How hard is it to get a guy with a ladder and sponge to give them a quick wiping down? The monitors in the queue kept turning on and off, not sure if this is to avoid repeating the same stuff over and over again or if it's a minor flaw on part of the operations.

When we finally arrived at the turnstile we were #301-303, after approximately 1:15 of operations. They did have a ride grouper which seemed to help out but did confuse some people as I can't remember a ride here ever having a grouper except Thunder River. The grouper was very loud and did a good job a calling out for the number of people needed to fill a car. The two rows of three for seating will problematic as many people seem to go to the park in groups of two as most other rides it convenient.

On to the ride itself, it was absolutely amazing! I am not a very patient person and after waiting almost two hours for a ride, I came off feeling that it was time well spent. Every section of the rides seems to fully immerse you into it. The screen with the "virtual loop" and "corkscrew" are by far the best part. The sense of movement you feel is absolutely incredible. At times you feel like you are going 50 miles per hour. Anyway I don't think I can really add too much more that hasn't already been said.

The onride photo at the end is not very good. They need to zoom in more for the individual riders.

Anyway it does seem like they rushed to open the ride, given the small details that could have been easily cleaned up. The overall ride experience was incredible and the small things didn't take anything away from the ride.

The ride seemed to maintain a wait around 1:15 all day long. When my boys decided to go out on their own for a little bit, I asked the girl working the Flash Pass lane if they were taking single riders, she just looked at me kinda puzzled. This would be an easy fix to help the grouper out.

We got back in line about 15 minutes before closing for a second ride and it seemed like the loaders had increased speed marginally. When we went the the second time, the turnstile was at 2375. If you do the the math, that's just below 300 pph. Not great capacity at all, but they were running a vehicle short almost all day.

Onto a few pictures I snapped with my phone today, not the best quality at all.

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.cbf7ddd00b08cceb94518d6b9110ce2d.JPG

Preparing for a grand opening

IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.03047c1b0bff4ec13201c37f582b514c.JPG

High quality JL merch for sale

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.05582cc3b8cf4d9d89f8d9c14cecfd9d.JPG

More high quality merch for sale

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.4b1f993233e5d824511e2225a7c95bb4.JPG

Okay, so maybe not so high quality

IMG_0450.thumb.JPG.daeb6700571118589532fac25a35b9c6.JPG

Dave Roemer making some opening remarks

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.db1194513d99d7a1e071f71261cfbb3c.JPG

And heeeere's Superman!

IMG_0452.thumb.JPG.92b089fcd6d1253c0f489ad7a21628ad.JPG

Some smoke and the ride is now "officially" open!

IMG_0454.thumb.JPG.d3953308f82b6de211c84b5c12c1492c.JPG

Obligatory Cyborg photo

There should definitely be a single rider line. We have one here at SFOT and let me tell you it's a godsend.

I waited no more than 5 minutes for each of the 4 rides I took. But our regular line seemed to be moving

fast too. Wait time seemed to be 30-45 minutes at most. Maybe the 10 ride vehicles are helping our capacity.