TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I think "dire" is overstating it just a wee bit. Besides, they do have a launched coaster--Mr. Freeze (even if it is a shuttle).

Are we talking about the same park?

Six Flags Over Georgia.

Although Dare Devil Dive seems to due them justice. Has a nice twisty layout, something you'd find on a LSM intamin coaster.

My mistake for thinking "Texas" in the "Six Flags Over Texas Discussion Thread."

But "dire" is still overstating it for SFOG. Shall we stay on topic now?

Just got back from SFOT, the weather was great and the longest line was only about 45 min (for NTAG). Rode Flashback and Texas Chute for possibly the last time. Lines for Titan, Batman, and MFRB were only 10-25 min waits. Looks like it was a pretty good day...except for the fact that the person sitting In front of me on NTG puked literally after the first drop...that didn't end well for me

Hi,

The usual "I don't ever post, but need some help" post WARNING!

Headed to this park, for the first time, on Friday. Will be there with a tall 5 year old who likes rollercoasters, so I'm just looking for some advice. What can we expect as far as crowds? Is there some ride to hit right away? Honestly, our main focus is getting to Texas Chute Out...so unless advice indicates otherwise, we'll head there first. For a kid who's ridden The Little Dipper & Whizzer at Great America, what rides here would you suggest?

We're a bit worried about the hot sun at this park, as I've read that shade isn't necessarily this park's strong suit....so I assume that getting to the gate right at opening is a MUST.

Thanks for any/all tips! Also, we'll be driving so any tips as far as super convenient hotels/deals would be appreciated (just started working on the accommodations part of the trip)!

Hi,

The usual "I don't ever post, but need some help" post WARNING!

Headed to this park, for the first time, on Friday. Will be there with a tall 5 year old who likes rollercoasters, so I'm just looking for some advice. What can we expect as far as crowds? Is there some ride to hit right away? Honestly, our main focus is getting to Texas Chute Out...so unless advice indicates otherwise, we'll head there first. For a kid who's ridden The Little Dipper & Whizzer at Great America, what rides here would you suggest?

We're a bit worried about the hot sun at this park, as I've read that shade isn't necessarily this park's strong suit....so I assume that getting to the gate right at opening is a MUST.

Thanks for any/all tips! Also, we'll be driving so any tips as far as super convenient hotels/deals would be appreciated (just started working on the accommodations part of the trip)!

yes, definately bring a hat

there are some shaded areas, but as you noted, "shade" is not one of SFoT's highlights!

a 5 year old, hmmm. . .

OK, he likes rollercoasters, then do not miss:

La Vibora -- HIT THIS FIRST (left once you enter the park). This is a perfectly adequate Bobsleds, the kids love it, and the lines get HUGE thruout the day. . so start here, THEN go hit the Chute out.

other coasters for a younger kid:

Runaway Mountain (indoor coaster)

Runaway Mine Train (1st with tubular steel tracks, fairly smooth, and a classic)

Judge Roy Scream (a great 1st Woodie coaster, and you drive right by it on the way into the park)

Pandemonium (a standard spinning coaster, but the kiddos love it)

and maybe. . if he's not too scared of them: Shockwave (the classic double loop), and Batman coasters.

for a 5 year old, I think Giant, Titan, Mr. Freeze are probably going to be too intense. . but you know your kiddo better than me, so make the call once you see the coasters.

we usually stay at the Best Western (literally across the street from Judge Roy Scream), and simply walk to the park, instead of paying the parking price.

have a great time!

So I may be going to SFoT on this upcoming Sunday or Monday (more likely Monday). If I go Sunday, I'll have to go in the afternoon, and if I go Monday I have to leave in the evening to catch a flight. Any tips on crowds, whether I go early or stay late? I know some colleges in Texas will be starting that Monday, so hopefully crowds won't be too bad.

Park may or may not be crowded on Monday (most likely not). I know some schools have started, but most haven't. I don't expect it to be too bad though. NTAG and La Vibora always have the longest lines. I recommend hitting La Vibora as early as possible, because as was said it Does keep a LONG line all day. Surprisingly Batman was a bit longer when I was there a couple weeks ago as well, almost an hour I think, but I believe they had been having maintenance issues that day. Both Batman and Mr. Freeze are usually more like 25-30mins on a weekday, at most 45mins I would think. Flashback, Judge Roy, Mini and Big Mine trains are always walk-on's (so glad they quit "double ride" Monday's for those four, made the lines for those Long, most people get two rides on them any day anyway without the hassle...) The best time I think to ride NTAG is later in the day when it gets darker, the line is usually shorter by then and it makes the three tunnels 10x darker and the lights in the "honky tonk" tunnel more impressive. Also Please don't forget water!! I noticed most, if not all, of the food vendors had cups of it iced for people to get for free. There's also several little air-conditioned ice cream shops that, when not crowded, will let you take a little sit down break inside.

Also, to the person asking about kids rides:

The Yosemite Sam boat ride hasn't been mentioned and it is fun, good for little kids, but still enjoyable for adults (plus indoors to get out of the HEAT)!

SFOT is now the 4 Six Flags park to announce that they will be announcing something on August 30!

We are set for a big announcement on August 30 and it will include what's next for Six Flags Over Texas in 2013. It's only fitting that we share this with you on National Roller Coaster Day! Stay Tuned!

427340_10151146491085991_1051365467_n.jpg.ddf238f8d6d8d165bff4b2a542db675c.jpg

Sorry for the double post!

but,

I think there is a clue in quote... ITS ONLY FITTING THAT WE SHARE THIS WITH YOU ON NATIONAL ROLLER COASTER DAY... hmm...

I don't know how a XL SkyScreamer or the removal of Flashback/Chute Out is fitting for National Roller Coaster Day???

Edited by jps294

That's really throwing me off now. I don't know how it would be fitting for a SkyScreamer to be associated with this clue. Was today really "National Roller Coaster Day"? Or is that something they made up for the clue? The "go bigger 2013" could mean SkyScreamer. But "National Roller Coaster Day"?

The National Roller Coaster part is probably just to throw us off. It's probably just a SkyScreamer.

Well, if it's not a coaster - and even though it was announced a few weeks ago - taking out a coaster is not really something to celebrate on National Roller Coaster Day. Maybe it's to congratulate SF St Louis, who I hope (because it's funny) is getting Flashback.

National Rollercoaster Day is a thing. It's the anniversary of the patent in 1898.

The thing that makes me wonder is the "go bigger" tag superimposed over Flashback.

Surely, SURELY, they aren't putting in a giant boomerang. Surely they learned their lessons on those already?

Surely they weren't influenced by that bogus "award" from that coaster show where Silverwood's GB beat out Alpengeist...

(kidding)

Still, all clues seem to point to a coaster at this point. Let the speculation begin!