TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

^Why is it that many people say Cedar Fair are not great friends with intamin right now? I know they are not that famous for their reliability, but the ones at Cedar Fair parks don't seem to be particularly worse (or at least bad enough to justify this).

I think that 2 month problem with Intimidator 305 ended their relationship. I expect they like their coasters, but just have beef with them for the issues and maintenance that come with their coasters. After that i305 cable lift issue, I think they said we need a break from them for a while until they fix their problems.

^Why is it that many people say Cedar Fair are not great friends with intamin right now? I know they are not that famous for their reliability, but the ones at Cedar Fair parks don't seem to be particularly worse (or at least bad enough to justify this).

Volcano, at KD, is a great coaster, but it is HORRIBLE in terms of reliability. It seems like every time I go there (around once a week, give or take) it closes at least once per time. That and TTD, Etc. are not the most reliable, and that is what Cedar Fair is looking for. A reliable coaster! Intamins may be record breakers, but they break down too often.

Edited by Schwarzillard

I think that 2 month problem with Intimidator 305 ended their relationship. I expect they like their coasters, but just have beef with them for the issues and maintenance that come with their coasters. After that i305 cable lift issue, I think they said we need a break from them for a while until they fix their problems.

I agree.

I spent a couple days at the park this past week on my family's annual Michigan vacation and I have to say that the park was looking great. Very very clean. Timbers was also running amazingly well. They just need one thrilling flat to bring the dry side together. A Screamin' Swing or an S&S tower would do wonders.

Cedar Fair used to build lots of Intamins (at least at Cedar Point.) However, the last Intamin attractions at a Cedar Fair park were put in in 2010 and both have had issues (I305 required severe trimming and then reprofiling, along with restraint replacement to help the ride, and Shoot the Rapids had boat issues that delayed opening, had to be slowed down, had a recent accident, and still can't run full boats.) Cedar Fair has been building mostly B&Ms since around this time. Although, CP itself could have had a deal with Intamin that ended, considering that most CF parks don't have a slew of super-Intamins. Of course, you have smaller parks wit hone super-Intamin, like KD or KBF.

There are so many sides to this that it is hard to determine what is going on, but it seems like Cedar Fair is going with the tried and true guys. The GP loves new B&Ms just as much as new Intamins. B&Ms tend to have equivalent or higher capacity than Intamins. And finally, B&M coasters rarely (if ever) have to have drastic modifications done to them, while many Intamins have had to be modified.

I'm not necessarily singing the praises of B&M here - I love Intamin coasters, they definitely can be more surprising, unique, and intense than newer B&Ms. But from the park's perspective, B&M is the better choice. However, B&M seems to be going into a new phase with their newer Asian B&Ms (or so I've heard) and Banshee, and with the rumors of a launched B&M coming to Holiday World, along with a possible new B&M giga for Carowinds (showing that the B&M giga was not a one-and-done thing), B&M seems to be slowly but surely pushing the envelope once again.

I think that Cedar Fair's issues with Intamin started in 2010. That cable lift incident couldn't have helped, though.

I think that Cedar Fair's issues with Intamin started in 2010. That cable lift incident couldn't have helped, though.

Maybe it would be too early to tell the influence of that incident given how long ago it happened, right?

I went to Michigan's Adventure yesterday and had a great time. I'm not one to write trip reports so I'll just mention a few things. Lakeside Gliders is the first flying scooters I have been on and it was a lot of fun. Shivering Timbers was running very well and it was very smooth. Michigan's Adventure has done an amazing job retracking Shivering Timbers and it feels like a new ride. From the top of Shivering Timbers lift hill I could see some work going by the train tracks. I didn't get a good look, but it only seemed like minor work. I can't say whether it was maintenance work or preparation for a new ride.

Now I did experience something for the first time and I will explain. Shivering Timbers broke down with a train on the lift hill between 9:00 pm - 9:30 pm. I decided to make my way over to the ride entrance and wait for a possible night ride. I got a good laugh hearing all of the stupid things people were saying about the break down. Around 9:45 pm the train was sent down the lift hill and the security guard said the ride was closed for the night. When someone asked why the security guard said because it was getting dark. I have never heard that as a reason for shutting a ride down and I stated this in a respectful way. The security guard said that park maintenance didn't to open Shivering Timbers in the dark. I was disappointed because it was very dark at this point and a night ride would have been awesome. Oh well I'll have to try again in a couple weeks.

I think that Cedar Fair's issues with Intamin started in 2010. That cable lift incident couldn't have helped, though

And even though Hershey isn't affiliated with Cedar Fair, I'm sure the problems they had with Skyrush didn't swing the pendulum in favor of Cedar Fair working with Intamin any time soon either. It's really unfortunate because a mega-lite is JUST what MiA needs, although the chance version could be a great alternative.

They don't want to have do lots of maintenance. They always need to do ride profiles and it just gets annoying. Dragster always needs constant maintenance and is closed often. Cedar Fair would like less maintenance (who wouldn't.) B&Ms are known for smoothness and the GP loves smoothness.

Think about how long it takes for Intamins to open.

^I know they can be a maintenance nightmare, and I do prefer B&M, actually. However, my doubt was because they have always been like that (dragster is now 11 years old) and they have added other rides since. Probably I305 was the problem.

^I know they can be a maintenance nightmare, and I do prefer B&M, actually. However, my doubt was because they have always been like that (dragster is now 11 years old) and they have added other rides since. Probably I305 was the problem.

CPSFMMCW, when i305 is shut down, how long is it shut down?

In casually speaking with some of the roaming managers at KD I get the sense that despite the few hiccups with i305 they're extremely pleased with the ride overall and that the maintenance isn't terrible. Now, would a manager tell a member of the public that the higher-ups hate Intamin? Probably not, but I suspect Cedar Fair and Intamin will be working together in the future. And you've got to remember that Maverick had a barrel roll, and Cedar Fair didn't cut off Intamin after that little remodel.

Perhaps a Mega-Lite here could use the restraints on Altair in Rome? That would alleviate the bitching about the Skyrush lap bars but still allow more guests to ride an Intamin. Of all the Cedar Fair parks, this seems like the ideal place for a Mega-Lite.

Does anyone have any statements or credible sources for what Michigan's Adventure might get in 2015? I tried to email them but they basically said "No Comment." when I asked them if there were going to be any press releases or new attraction related to 2015

Does anyone have any statements or credible sources for what Michigan's Adventure might get in 2015? I tried to email them but they basically said "No Comment." when I asked them if there were going to be any press releases or new attraction related to 2015

Well what did you expect them to say?

Well what did you expect them to say?

LOL, this is great. Thank you for the laugh.

And even though Hershey isn't affiliated with Cedar Fair, I'm sure the problems they had with Skyrush didn't swing the pendulum in favor of Cedar Fair working with Intamin any time soon either.

I don't think that the problems with Hershey Park have changed Cedar Fair's view of Intamin. Hershey was asking Intamin to give it all and build them the most insane white knuckle thrill ride they could think of, and the result is Skyrush.

If you are asking them for that then you will probably get a few hiccups.

I think the problem with Cedar Fair is that they are to much influenced by Intamin in their designs rather than their own maintenance guys. Cheetah Hunt is the perfect example that if the park knows what it want's and make Intamin step of the gas pedal a little bit they can have a ride that is excellent and very reliable.

As for what may come to the parkin 2015 I would guess something like this:

10387061_751411578256432_1036914465253493238_o.jpg

And even though Hershey isn't affiliated with Cedar Fair, I'm sure the problems they had with Skyrush didn't swing the pendulum in favor of Cedar Fair working with Intamin any time soon either.

I don't think that the problems with Hershey Park have changed Cedar Fair's view of Intamin. Hershey was asking Intamin to give it all and build them the most insane white knuckle thrill ride they could think of, and the result is Skyrush.

If you are asking them for that then you will probably get a few hiccups.

I think the problem with Cedar Fair is that they are to much influenced by Intamin in their designs rather than their own maintenance guys. Cheetah Hunt is the perfect example that if the park knows what it want's and make Intamin step of the gas pedal a little bit they can have a ride that is excellent and very reliable.

As for what may come to the parkin 2015 I would guess something like this:

10387061_751411578256432_1036914465253493238_o.jpg

NO! They don't need that. They already have a good water park and they should want another 2/3 years for that. I think they should get a Zamperla Midi Discovery next year. A nice, thrilling flat.

• 1 month later...

I would actually be extremely okay with a drop capsule water slide coming to Michigan's Adventure. It's already a great water park, that complex would fit right in. More importantly (to me), I love drop capsules, and Michigan's Adventure is my "other" home park (I'm technically closer to Cedar Point, where the water park isn't even worth the visit) and I'd love for one to be so easily accessible. Kings Dominion is getting this complex in 2015, what are the chances Cedar Fair ordered another?

As for a new roller coaster... I'd wait a couple years to see how they respond to the recent governmental changes in the area. I think we are allowed to have high hopes.

Having visited Dorney a week ago, I must humbly retract any bitter comment I've ever made about MiA not getting the relocated Demon Drop. It hasn't aged well... at all. I'd love to see MiA eventually shape into something like Dorney though, what a pretty park with a fantastic layout.

If anyone has been here lately, has there been any sign of land clearing or construction preparations? They desperately need something. If this park ends up going two straight years without anything new, then that would lead me to believe that CF simply doesn't care about MA. Although, it already looks like CF doesn't care: no drop tower, no live entertainment, no Haunt event, and a 3.5 month operating season. I'm not trying to down on the park, but it must be a miserable park if it's your local park.

They're clearly building some sort of new structure for the train. Aside from that, there's not any earth being moved.

Although, it already looks like CF doesn't care: no drop tower, no live entertainment, no Haunt event, and a 3.5 month operating season. I'm not trying to down on the park, but it must be a miserable park if it's your local park.

Yeah, basically. Or you treat parks that are further away as de facto home parks - Great America, Indiana Beach, Cedar Point, etc. WYSIWYG - I think it sucks, but at least for me the difference in driving between my home and Cedar Point and my home and Michigans Adventure is negligible enough that I still see value in a Platinum Pass. If I lived in Grand Rapids, Traverse City, or Kalamazoo, I'd probably not be as heavily invested in the hobby because, seriously, why bother?