TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Why would you want Cedar Fair to move that torture device there?

I think he was just being realistic

Kings Island's Invertigo could maybe be moved in the future as well (I only think).

Even though moving KBF's Boomerang or KI's Invertigo to MiA could be possible, they really deserve something better than that. They haven't gotten anything truly new since 1999, and that was only a Wild Mouse. I know Screamscape isn't always 100% accurate, but they're rumoring a Hyper-GTX for 2016, and something like that is exactly what Michigan's Adventure needs.

Also, I'm not sure how true this is, but I heard somewhere that MiA was apparently supposed to get an Intamin Impulse coaster back in 2003, but they ended up sending it to Valleyfair instead. Even though I enjoy having Steel Venom at my home park, it would have been perfect for MiA. I still think that an impulse would be a good fit, but since Cedar Fair doesn't do business with Intamin anymore, it isn't going to happen .

People are saying that Cedar Fair dropped Intamin because they haven't installed a new Intamin since Intimidator 305 in 2010. I don't think that Cedar Fair dropped Intamin, I think they are just taking a break from Intamin and installing mainly B&M coasters.

I can see a boomerang getting moved to MiA. It would fit right in, considering five of their seven roller coasters are standard models already.

If all of our screamscape-inspired hopes and dreams come true, I dearly hope that GTX isn't a clone of Lightning Run. Y'all say they need a new roller coaster, I'd like to take that up a notch and say they need something original.

With what Ouimet said during the Q3 call, it's sounding like both Vortex stand-ups could be converted, but personally, they'd be rather boring floorless coasters at their current parks.

But I think doing something like what Six Flags did with Iron Wolf and move at least the CA Great America Vortex to another park, either Michigan's Adventure or ValleyFair, converting it to a floorless model. Then CA GrAm would receive a brand new B&M floorless model at the park. Basically would benefit the parks tremendously.

Now I know some of you would groan that MiAd would receive another used ride, or the thought Valleyfair would receive a "sub-par" coaster, but essentially very, very few people in the areas know about the other parks outside of the Midwest parks, and bringing Vortex over, converting it, and marketing it as what would essentially be a brand new ride, it'd work perfect. I'd think it'd hardly break $5mil for moving, installation, and buying new trains.

---

Next year though, haven't heard much about what's happening. I'm not expecting anything to be added to the waterpark yet, since it's still one of the best ones in the chain for the park's size. I can see why the park decided not to install an Impulse though. In 2003, the park was basically nothing, and if they were to install both an Impulse and Grand Rapids (the highest electrical draw in the park right now) it would of required a major upgrade to their electrical line. It's also why any launch coaster at the moment would be impractical for the park. It'd basically be in the situation with what Holiday World is in right now with building Thunderbird and building a fly-wheel generator. Not enough draw from the main power line from the city.

And please, keep the boomerangs away! Don't need another Vekoma! I do see though a Chance Hyper-GTX being built here, although I can imagine a merge of plans between the old Morgan hyper that never got built and Chance kicking it up a notch with throwing in some elements from the GTX lineup. It'd work out either way for the park.

I could see KBF Boomerang being relocated here sometime in the future.

Why would you want Cedar Fair to move that torture device there?

Its not that I want Cedar Fair to move Boomerang to MA, I just think it's a logical option because if KBF were to remove a Coaster to make more room it would most likely be Boomerang. And rather than scrap it I could definitely see them relocate it to another Park in the chain to get more use out of it. MA would be the most likely choice and VF as a possible second choice, but I doubt that.

^ Both of those Boomerangs are extremely painful rides and are definitely better off being scrapped. CW's ride is still a very popular ride, so it probably won't be going anytime soon. If Knotts' ride does get relocated, they really need to get a new train for it. I don't think it would be worth moving it within the chain with its current train.

^ I would think because of the cost. Seems logical. Though they do dramatically increase ride quality (and ridership?), they're not very marketable. I've ridden Sidewinder's new train at Hersheypark (who didn't market the new train at all) and I really enjoy the ride now.

Even better than Carolina Cobra's trains....these could even possibly save Knott's boomerang.

http://cache.rcdb.com/0c77800002ctjc1qu000id.jpg

WOAH. What coaster is that? That looks absolutely amazing.

^ I would think because of the cost. Seems logical. Though they do dramatically increase ride quality (and ridership?), they're not very marketable. I've ridden Sidewinder's new train at Hersheypark (who didn't market the new train at all) and I really enjoy the ride now.

Of the two Boomerangs with new trains I've ridden (Carolina Cobra and Sidewinder), Sidewinder improved far more (to the point where I actually debated a second ride!). With how bad Knotts' Boomerang is, either that Schäfer (the manufacturer of the new train for EqWalizer) or a new Vekoma train would really help it out. As for marketing, a new train doesn't really need it. Guests will see it and talk about it. However, if you're going to relocate it, you might as well get the new train since you're already marketing it as a new ride.

Looks like Lance has the same idea I had.

While this would be the only other two B&M Stand-Up coasters in the chain… these would also be some of the oldest B&M stand-up coasters built, as part of B&M’s first generation of rides: Vortex at Carowinds and Vortex at California’s Great America. Unlike Mantis, these rides are much smaller (apox 90 ft tall) much shorter and have only 2 inversions each. Transforming these into Floorless coasters isn’t going to do much to thrill the guests of either park, as Carowinds guests are already accustomed to the bigger thrills of After Burn, Intimidator and soon Fury 325, and transforming Vortex in California would get it unfairly compared to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom much bigger and better B&M Floorless coaster, Medusa.

If I had to hazard a guess, Cedar Fair might be better served by opting to move one or both of these coasters to smaller parks who could use a bigger thrill, like Michigan’s Adventure, and converting them into Floorless rides at that time maybe.

As much as I know you guys want that Boomerang gone at Knott's, moving one of the Vortex coasters to Michigan's Adventure seems a much more plausible chance than the Boomerang. There's already a Corkscrew here so moving a sub-par Boomerang would make little sense. Converting the Vortexs to floorless at their current parks does not make sense either, so I do believe one or both of the Vortex stand-ups will be moving to new homes at other parks that are more deserving of a "new" coaster.

Vortex at CA Great America is really on some prime land right in the center of the park. Since Cedar Fair did mark the park as one of the three with the highest expansion rate in terms of growth, I can see them designing a new B&M hyper coaster that'd start at the old Invertigo garden, run through the old Tidal Wave location, then where Vortex currently stands. I forgot about Medusa so guess a floorless coaster would be out, but a nice hyper would fit the park excellently. That'd be one heck of a eye catcher seeing a B&M hyper right behind Celebration Fountain.

But yeah, I know you guys want that Boomerang at Knott's gone, but if it goes, I either see it being torn down, or selling it to another park outside of the chain. I mean, heck, a small Italian park bought Wonderland's TOGO stand-up so anything is possible.