TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

but! I am convinced that cedar fair is preparing a package of parks for sale (those that carry less money) . I think Michigan is one of these

What would make you think that? Assuming the parks are turning a profit, I don't see why they'd want to sell them off. Theres been nothing to indicate MiA or any other parks are going to be sold off.

but! I am convinced that cedar fair is preparing a package of parks for sale (those that carry less money) . I think Michigan is one of these

What would make you think that? Assuming the parks are turning a profit, I don't see why they'd want to sell them off. Theres been nothing to indicate MiA or any other parks are going to be sold off.

and my idea. to see how fair cedar invest in parks .michigan not see a novelty for years .world of fun, great america, dorney, Valleyfair, only recently received new, but for sure I do not receive the same love than knott's, Carowinds and Kings Dominion .then in my opinion invest just enough in attractions and rides, to make an attractive package of parks to some investors.

I repeat, and everyway my idea

9. Spelling and Grammar - bad spelling and grammar will NOT be tolerated! Theme Park Review's forum includes a spell checker and there is a great one available with Google's Toolbar. If we have to edit too many of your posts, you may be suspended from the forum. Text Message shorthand or "l77t" speak is not allowed. A typo here and there is acceptable, but illegible posts are not.

Why would Cedar Fair be planning to sell Michigan's Adventure if they just bought new land for the park? That makes no sense.

my English is not good and translates it does not help.

I say adventure michigan makes good financial results (as I consider it primarily a water park) but will never make the money they make parks like the world of entertainment or Dorney or Great America.

my English is not good and translates it does not help.

I say adventure michigan makes good financial results (as I consider it primarily a water park) but will never make the money they make parks like the world of entertainment or Dorney or Great America.

It doesn't have to? Not every park has to make that much money. For being in the middle of nowhere and open for only a few months, Michigan's Adventure pulls in an enormous attendance. Not every park has to have 3 million visitors-- it's unreasonable. Long story short; CF will not sell Michigan's Adventure for two reasons: A) They just bought new land, B) Huge profit margin. Fin d'Histoire.

They have big profit margins because the park never buys anything worth noting. Of course they will. If Cedar Fair wanted to sell the park, I think they would've already. However Cedar Fair is keeping the park because they can spend the money else where. Mainly Cedar Point to keep the locals going to their flag park.

They have big profit margins because the park never buys anything worth noting. Of course they will. If Cedar Fair wanted to sell the park, I think they would've already. However Cedar Fair is keeping the park because they can spend the money else where. Mainly Cedar Point to keep the locals going to their flag park.

The park hasn't "buys anything worth nothing" because they don't need to. It is the only entertainment option of its type for 95% of its customer base. They have shown that they will keep coming year after year without massive cap-ex additions. And that's fine. MiA doesn't need to be (and never will be) another CP.

I don't understand why people keep bringing things like this up. We've repeatedly discussed how MiA isn't neglected, isn't going to be sold, operates fine as it sits, etc. The fact that MiA hasn't added anything new recently and that they haven't had a major project for years now doesn't support these arguments, either.

I don't understand why people keep bringing things like this up. We've repeatedly discussed how MiA isn't neglected, isn't going to be sold, operates fine as it sits, etc. The fact that MiA hasn't added anything new recently and that they haven't had a major project for years now doesn't support these arguments, either.

Fully agree. This park has done very well under Cedar Fair and if that wasn't the case, it would of been sold off long ago. I've seen what this park used to look like around the time CF bought it and it was what it was: a small, family-owned park that really didn't offer much besides a few roller coasters, some flat rides, and a pretty big water park. I'm glad the Jourdens decided to sell the park to Cedar Fair cause I couldn't see it any other way. To me, this park feels half-way between the family-owned feeling and a corporate park. It has all of the benefits of being part of a chain (season passes, discounts, licencing, marketing, etc) while the park still feeling like it's still owned by a family. CF has helped this park flourish and is one of the top tourist destinations in the state of Michigan.

And I've said a few times already, expect something major coming into the park for its 60th anniversary next year. Whether it's the rumored Hyper-GTX, a Camp Snoopy, or some new flat rides, it's going to be rather big addition to the park. All of the rumors and past trends this park has done has pointed to 2016 being a rather big year for additions.

And I've said a few times already, expect something major coming into the park for its 60th anniversary next year. Whether it's the rumored Hyper-GTX, a Camp Snoopy, or some new flat rides, it's going to be rather big addition to the park. All of the rumors and past trends this park has done has pointed to 2016 being a rather big year for additions.

I don't think that anniversaries have that much of an impact on what parks get for that year. Kings Dominion really didn't get much of anything for their 40th anniversary, and neither did Dorney Park for their 130th (they got a slide tower, nothing too major). That being said, I still think it's quite possible that MiA could receive something fairly significant in 2016 because there has been a lot of preparation for something big going on lately. Plus, the park has kept capital expenditures low lately, possibly to save up for whatever their big new attraction could be.

^ I wanna say we talked about the anniversary thing a few pages back, and MiA actually has a history of major additions in anniversary years? I could be wrong though, that may have been a different park.

I think it's hilarious, by the way, that more than half of the pages in this thread are from the past year, but they've been an endless cycle of "When are we gonna get something new?" to "Never, this park is shutting down" to "Ugh, we've talked about this, huge profit margin" and back to "so when are we gonna get something new?"

Yep, Grand Rapids, their Intamin white water rafting ride which was the largest addition to the park before Thunderhawk, was built for the park's 50th anniversary in 2006, along with the extension to Timbertown Railway to the new Grand Rapids Junction station, and also when the Coasters restaurant was built. Now of course we saw Thunderhawk built in 2008, but that really was just part of the quick ride additions in the chain from Geauga Lake closing and I don't really think that cost the park the $8mil that they state.

There has been a custom coaster in the works for several years, going back to the Jourden's original 5-year plan after Shivering Timbers was built. Just the issues with Morgan closing and then the park being bought by Cedar Fair put those plans on the back burner and eventually the design was put on hold. Now that bring us to what may happen next year. There are several options:

• The rumored Chance Hyper-GTX with hopefully a new custom layout different than Lighting Run.
  • The put-on-hold hyper coaster, built by Chance and layout is updated to modern standards.
  • A major flat ride addition, which could be various of things such as a WindSeeker, a drop tower, a Zamperla Disk'o or something different.
  • A massive Camp/Planet Snoopy addition, which the park also could use.
  • Or something completely left field such as one of the B&M Vortex coasters being located here and converted to floorless.

We'll just have to see what happens, but everything has been pointing towards a major addition in 2016 with the park's recent trends the past couple years.

Would not be suprised one bit if Cedar Point sent over their turnpike cars to replace be bop blvd in the near future. Especially since the park has been looking to switch over to gadspowered cars instead of the current electric ones that are a maintenance nightmare. Also I found the fact thay dorney is removing hang time to be very intriguing. I know a certain spot where falling star used to sit that is in need of a new ride.