TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in October, my friend and I were at SFGAm and were sitting on bench eating when I overheard quite the BS story coming from the bench next to us. It looked and sounded to me like a a first date and the guy was trying way too hard. He says to the girl that last year, him and his friends were on Goliath when the train stopped near the top of the lift hill. He proceeds to tell her that a worker came up to the top and told them it was the riders' choice to either evacuate the ride and take the stairs or they could release the train backwards back down the lift... he says everyone voted to be released. All of the sudden, she stops him mid sentence and calls him out on this story and tells him how she knows how rollercoasters work and didnt think it was possible to go backward on the the lift because of the dogs. He comes up with some BS about how maintenance came up and stuck a bar under the train to "release" them. The girl then calls him out and tells him how she worked a the park for 3 years in the rides department, and quit earlier this year and also called him out telling him that Goliath just opened this year. He tried backpedaling, but she wasn't having it. My friend and I just burst out laughing staring at this moron.

Back in October, my friend and I were at SFGAm and were sitting on bench eating when I overheard quite the BS story coming from the bench next to us. It looked and sounded to me like a a first date and the guy was trying way too hard. He says to the girl that last year, him and his friends were on Goliath when the train stopped near the top of the lift hill. He proceeds to tell her that a worker came up to the top and told them it was the riders' choice to either evacuate the ride and take the stairs or they could release the train backwards back down the lift... he says everyone voted to be released. All of the sudden, she stops him mid sentence and calls him out on this story and tells him how she knows how rollercoasters work and didnt think it was possible to go backward on the the lift because of the dogs. He comes up with some BS about how maintenance came up and stuck a bar under the train to "release" them. The girl then calls him out and tells him how she worked a the park for 3 years in the rides department, and quit earlier this year and also called him out telling him that Goliath just opened this year. He tried backpedaling, but she wasn't having it. My friend and I just burst out laughing staring at this moron.

While I was waiting for the Kings Island 2015 announcement, the guy next to me started telling me what he wanted for 2015. He said he wanted a launch coaster just like Top Thrill Dragster and I said that's not going to happen. He said he thinks it will and I said that they just added Banshee, so no. Then he said it will replace Vortex because it's sinking. I took a deep breath, told him that Vortex isn't sinking and that it's a dumb rumor. Then he said that the Bat was removed because it was sinking. I walked away because the guy just didn't get it.

Later that same day I was waiting for Banshee to open and a couple asked me how to get to Flight Deck. I pointed to it and said follow the path to the orange and grey coaster. The guy asked why the colors changed and I said it got a new theme and is now called the Bat. He said that the Bat is stupid and unoriginal so it should be changed back to Flight Deck. I just laughed to myself when they walked away.

This is so satisfying to read! Thanks for posting!

• 2 weeks later...

Was just watching some old episodes of Insane Coaster Wars, and during the segment about X-Flight at Six Flags Great America, the narrator called it an "airtime machine" . I really like X-Flight, but there's no airtime to be found anywhere on that ride.

Was just watching some old episodes of Insane Coaster Wars, and during the segment about X-Flight at Six Flags Great America, the narrator called it an "airtime machine" . I really like X-Flight, but there's no airtime to be found anywhere on that ride.

What.

Even Gatekeeper with that big floater hill felt more like a nap. Well, at least the hang time is probably nice on X-Flight.

Whaaaaaa? Even Little Dipper is a better airtime machine...

Here's a true conversation:

GP: I don't think roller coasters are safe, what if they made a calculating mistake about the track's banked angle? Even 0.5 degrees of wrong banking is enough to make the train fell off.

Me: You see, the majority of roller coaster trains use three sets of wheels each side to clamp the train to the track. The train cannot fall off even if it is hanging upside down.

GP: Is three directions enough? Why don't they use four sets to secure it better?

Me: I mean three sets on each side of the track, then you'll get secured from all four directions. (Then I drew a picture to show him how the wheels on Maverick works)

GP: What if the wheels snap outwards?

Me: It's pretty much impossible, only happened in Japan once from what I remember.

GP: See? I said I don't think roller coasters are safe.

Why did I even explain?

Heard this one at Knott's Berry Farm today while in line for Montezooma's Revenge:

"Oh, this is the one that goes up and then comes back down."

I think I know what the guy meant, but it was funny as this could apply to almost any coaster.

That can apply to almost any ride in general!

GP: What if the wheels snap outwards?

Me: It's pretty much impossible, only happened in Japan once from what I remember.

GP: See? I said I don't think roller coasters are safe.

Surely you should know, never say anything that will make a GP think they are right.