TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. There's tons of really stupid things being spread in the media due to some of the recent amusement park accidents. The Smiler guy is funny, but some of these news sites are just outright throwing out biased, unedited articles about serious ride accidents like they have never done before. Hold on tight, folks, we're about to head into a long, boring rant about some of the most idiotic statements that the news outlets have been spewing out.

First I'm going to discuss the inaccurate or biased things in the media, then the illogical reactions from the general public.

So the first thing I have to mention is what happened with the Schlitterbahn death reporting. Reports were coming out saying that the kid was 12, and people were sticking with that for a few hours, when suddenly it turned out that he was 10. Really, the age is a bit irrelevant, but how do you get such simple information wrong?! And here's the icing on the vomit cake: my parents had Fox News on (wow, amazing source I know) I overheard a "teaser" of sorts about how they were going to cover the story. And they guy said that a 10-year-old GIRL was killed! That was a wtf moment for sure. The other main thing that I wanted to cover was the media's reaction to the Rollo Coaster accident that happened literally a few hours ago. Most articles were discussing the other recent accidents, and then went on to list some statistics on amusement ride accidents. Now this would be okay, except the way they worded everything and didn't give the full story, discarding facts that are vital to explaining many of these accidents. In this article, they started a paragraph by simply saying that thousands of children are injured in amusement ride accidents. Although this is technically true, they listed such detailed facts, even down to the percentage of the accidents that resulted in neck injuries, except they completely left out the fact that so many stories come out saying that the actually nearly unavoidable due to rider error. They also went on to show clips of parks like Six Flags Great Adventure and Busch Gardens Tampa while they were discussing the "lack of restrictions" put on amusement parks. But the truth is you can make any amount of laws you want, but that doesn't mean that human error, dangerous behavior and below-standard inspections/operations will suddenly magically disappear! And them showing professionally-built roller coasters in well-developed parks is pretty misleading, seeing as how large portions of accidents happen in travelling fairs and water parks. I just caught another strange thing, and it's that at the end of the video, they state that there is "not one standard" for ride safety. While literally SECONDS before, they said that it's handled at the state and local levels. There are a few articles that just get the story out, such as the local Pittsburgh news report, but unfortunately tons of them are extremely biased and misleading.

Now onto the reactions from the general public. If there's one thing about humans I know, it's that it seems like way too many of them can't comprehend the concept of someone being "innocent until proven guilty." These investigations are still in process, and everyone is jumping to conclusions about what happened. For example, so many concerned parents on Facebook (I may leave that site forever soon) were going on about how they would never let their kids on "dangerous" rides at Disney, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, etc. parks. These people will tend to talk about how "evil and corrupt" the parks are, and they seem to always blame the parks for these accidents, when like I said before, so many of them are caused by rider error. Until these investigations go on, there will be no definitive answer to what really happened. It could be the rider's fault, the operator's fault, the park's fault, the manufacturer's fault (in extremely rare cases), or it may remain a mystery for many years. Automatically being overly-strict to your children because you think the big bad amusement parks are out to kill them is absolutely ridiculous, just like how blaming the victim is also completely illogical.

This one is short, but boy was it funny. My friend and I today were at CGA waiting for Mass Effect. Shortly after getting in line and waiting for row 1, it breaks down. As we were leaving the line, a child asked her mom,"Whys it broken?" And the mom says,"Because it's crap." I just sat there and said fairly loud,"Really?!" I just thought it was a great gem from today.

I kid you not, this may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of an adults mouth....My friend suggest we do a BGW day trip.....Yeah we live in NYC.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20long%20is%20the%20drive%20from%20new%20york%20city%20to%20busch%20gardens%20williamsburg

According to Google, that drive is 6 hours and 32 minutes one way.

Seems legit.

Was at my local fair the other day when someone said that Top Thrill Dragster goes 240 mph. Yeah, not quite.

Well it does go 120 mph up the tower, and then 120 mph back down it....

Common core math...

Well, I graduated even before No Child Left Behind was a thing, so I grew up on dinosaur math, complete with trains leaving Boston westbound at 35 mph. But I really wish someone had taught me mathematical theory. All while I was in school, I learned the processes without actually understanding what I was doing. It wasn't until I got into college and learned about 4-dimensional math that everything finally clicked for me. Finally someone bothered to talk about the theory, the reasons behind the processes. I can see his face, but I can't actually remember his name, but he was one of the best professors I had, for that very reason.

I kid you not, this may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of an adults mouth....My friend suggest we do a BGW day trip.....Yeah we live in NYC.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20long%20is%20the%20drive%20from%20new%20york%20city%20to%20busch%20gardens%20williamsburg

According to Google, that drive is 6 hours and 32 minutes one way.

Seems legit.

In 2012 me and some friends made a day trip to Europa Park from the northeast of the Netherlands, which is about 6 and a half hours driving (400 miles).

I'd say it's a bit much, but doable.

I did KD from NYC and back in one day, and by the end of the day, I just wanted to keel over from exhaustion. BGW... yeah, no thanks.

It's obviously wrong, but knowing about "giga" and "wing" coasters doesn't strike me as very "GP".

Still trying to explain what a wing coaster is to one member of the GP for 5 years. Yes, the GP just don't seem to pic up the words like that.

It's obviously wrong, but knowing about "giga" and "wing" coasters doesn't strike me as very "GP".

Still trying to explain what a wing coaster is to one member of the GP for 5 years. Yes, the GP just don't seem to pic up the words like that.

So you're saying in 5 years you haven't thought to maybe show them a picture or video so they can grasp what you are talking about?

I hate this thread.

So you're saying in 5 years you haven't thought to maybe show them a picture or video so they can grasp what you are talking about?

I hate this thread.

Obviously I have. I have even taken them on a wing coaster, but when I talk about one, every time they need reminding.