TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rocky Mountain Construction 2017?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure if I agree about that. Racer has too great of a historical value and it would be foolish of KI to RMC it just like that. In fact, Racer was THE coaster that revitalized wooden roller coasters.

ACE would throw a hissy fit but literally nobody in the real world would care in the least. If you were in charge of KI and saw a ride that has some minute historical value or a ride that would be a huge draw and sell tickets, which would you choose?

Don't take the high road and say you'd preserve the ride. It's not like we're talking about an Auschwitz-level historical site here. Nobody will miss it if and when it goes and those that do will get over it.

I liked Racer and thought it was well-maintained. That being said, I wouldnt fault KI one bit if they turned it into Twisted Colossus 2.0. TC got MM a 10% increase in attendance the year it opened. Pretty sure that stat is on Cedar Fair's radar. Coupled with the cost to keep an aging woodie in optimum running condition vs the reduced cost to maintain an iron-horse conversation, it's almost a no-brainer.

If it draws crowd and has low maintenance cost, keep it. But KI has plenty of family friendly rides that don't cost as much to maintain and are more exciting than out and back straight hills. If they decided to RMC Racer or remove it, they are doing the right choice there. GP don't care about what historic value a coaster has and parks are built for GP, not enthusiasts that don't want anything to change.

I love Racer to death but do you guys think the reason they're adding Mystic Timbers is to put in a mid-level traditional wooden coaster in case they either A. Demolish Racer or B. RMC it? I don't really want them to but honestly an RMC at my home park? Can't really complain.

I don't think Racer is going anywhere ever. It wouldn't really free up any room of value and it's a perfectly average ride. It's not really rough, it never turns at high speed so the PTC trains probably don't make it overly hard to maintain compared to other woodies running PTC's... it's fine the way it is.

Kings Island is open a fraction of the time of SFMM's calendar and gets more people through the turnstiles. There's no 10% attendance increase to be had. Nor is there any real reason to ditch the Racer and all the capacity it brings to the table. If they're gonna go through the trouble of replacing a ride at that park, they'll replace the money sinks and capacity nightmares one can only access walking through Racer's structure.

Now that you mention it I do remember being very underwhelmed with Flight of Fear at KI. I think the KD version is honestly a spectacular and highly underrated ride but I found the KI version to be really jerky and mediocre. Maybe we caught it on an off day or it had a bad wheel but I was really surprised. It wasn't a bad ride but it wasn't exactly good either.

Now that you mention it I do remember being very underwhelmed with Flight of Fear at KI. I think the KD version is honestly a spectacular and highly underrated ride but I found the KI version to be really jerky and mediocre. Maybe we caught it on an off day or it had a bad wheel but I was really surprised. It wasn't a bad ride but it wasn't exactly good either.

The capacity is ass and there's a ton of expense to power the ride compared to a traditional lift hill. There's also Firehawk, which is the worst full size coaster in the park and somehow more pathetic in terms of capacity. Cedar Fair has been axing stuff like that in favor of having good/reliable rides, not getting rid of attractions which are still popular and eat people. Might as well just bring up the Beast again.

. . .There's also Firehawk, which is the worst full size coaster in the park and somehow more pathetic in terms of capacity. . .

I think Firehawk is awesome, and everyone we have taken to the park loves it as well. We make a point to ride it several times while we are at the park. Hell, this year, the only thing we rode more than Firehawk was Diamondback. I'd gladly take Firehawk over Racer, Flight Of Fear, Vortex,Invertigo, Banshee, and even The Beast any day. I wont argue with you that the capacity sucks, but that's what there is Fast Lane Plus.

. . .There's also Firehawk, which is the worst full size coaster in the park and somehow more pathetic in terms of capacity. . .

I think Firehawk is awesome, and everyone we have taken to the park loves it as well. We make a point to ride it several times while we are at the park. Hell, this year, the only thing we rode more than Firehawk was Diamondback. I'd gladly take Firehawk over Racer, Flight Of Fear, Vortex,Invertigo, Banshee, and even The Beast any day. I wont argue with you that the capacity sucks, but that's what there is Fast Lane Plus.

Totally agree, Firehawk is one of my favorite coasters at the park and it's still a very unique and rare type of coaster. Flight of Fear is pretty awesome as well (though I haven't been on the KD version). I hope they keep both rides for a long time.

I agree with you guys saying they probably won't RMC Racer, but I wasn't a huge fan of it when I rode it, and I did feel it was a bit rough. Not super ungodly rough, but enough that I haven't chosen to ride it since. I wouldn't mind an RMC of it, but keeping Racer and building a ground-up RMC would be even better. Imagine an RMC through the woods there at KI

I don't think Racer is going anywhere ever. It wouldn't really free up any room of value and it's a perfectly average ride.

Well said. I think that the paranoia of everything becoming RMC or getting replaced in the future is overblown. I think we'll see more original RMCs in the future standing next to more "classic" woodies. The Summers/Dinn & RCCA coasters in particular needed to be addressed one way or another, but something like Racer is a fine, intermediate-level coaster.

• 5 weeks later...

Just saw an RMC interview from IAAPA and allegedly several parks are interested in the raptor track and we may be seeing one in the next year or so. They also stated the T-Rex will probably be further in the future.

Can't wait to finally see one of these come to fruition, and cant help but wonder which parks are interested.

^Do you have a link to the interview?

I mean, regardless of whether this was spoken about in an interview or not, you'll never know which parks are interested until they're announced...

It's the same one I embedded in the Skyline Attractions thread. Honestly, its nothing to get excited about. As like every year, the anwser is really vague and subjunctive. Besides, we know Skyline's new Skywarp will use the track design, so they could be talking about that.

Besides, we know Skyline's new Skywarp will use the track design, so they could be talking about that.

He did say in the interview they're developing the trains and structure for the track. I doubt he's referring to Skywarp because I don't think RMC will be involved with the trains and structures much like the 4D free spins.

• 3 weeks later...