TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Roller Coaster Type from RMC Rocky Mountain Construction

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*cough* Twisted Colossus *cough*

I'm still not sure if I should blame the absolutely atrocious SFMM operations for that ride rarely ever dueling or RMC for designing a terrible sensor system for the lift hills.

I'm still not sure if I should blame the absolutely atrocious SFMM operations for that ride rarely ever dueling or RMC for designing a terrible sensor system for the lift hills.

Controls were done in house by Six Flags.

You know what? They're making this too easy for me. I'm not even gonna try with this one.

There... It's SFMM's fault... I should've known from the beginning.

RMC can do no wrong, Praise Fred & Alan, the ride Gods

• 2 months later...

I can't be the only who thinks this concept is extremely gimmicky. Having just one rail won't change the ride experience, and before anyone says that it can enable less supports, the amount of supports required is the same amount as a B&M sit down. It seems that RMC has been a little gimmicky lately (world's fastest WOOD LAUNCH coaster).

^Well, if their new track is going to be anything like B&M, that's a good thing... Can't wait to see a coaster company that makes rides as smooth as b&m, but also pushes the boundaries/comes up with new concepts.

Plus, hasn't most of the gimmicks surrounding lightning rod come from Dollywood's marketing staff, not RMC's?... In my opinion, a launched woodie (fastest or not) is pretty cool, so who cares if the PR team hyped it up a bit too much; it's something worth getting excited about, and will certainly draw crowds to the park when it opens.

The way that RMC creates their wooden coasters really changed the way a lot of people viewed them. RMC was able to turn rough, boring coasters into smooth thrill machines with unique elements that we don't even see on a lot of steel coasters.

I hope they can do the same with the T-Rex and Raptor models. Inverting steel coasters are very "gimmicky" and rarely forceful. Parks use inversions to market coasters better. Hopefully RMC will add some snap and force into the inversions, like older school B&Ms. I really can't wait to see a park build one. RMC could once again change the industry with this product.

Parks use inversions to market coasters better.

?

"Worlds First Step Up Under Flip"

"Tallest Inversion in the World"

"Most Inversions on a ____ coaster"

"First Ever -insert element here- on a _____ coaster"

Inversions aren't for everyone. A lot of people are afraid of them. But you can market coasters as a lot of things with inversions.

^Exactly. With B&M having gone soft, and no parks in North America buying Intamin coasters these days, RMC could definitely fill a huge void.

B&M only designs what parks ask them to design. Also the newer B&Ms are far from "soft"

I agree, it looks like B&M is starting to pick up their game as of late.

Also the newer B&Ms are far from "soft"

Really? Which ones? Of all the B&Ms I've been on in the last few years, the only one that really took me by surprise as being somewhat forceful was Banshee. And while that ride was REALLY good, it still was not as forceful as coasters B&M have done from 1992 - 2002.

I'm with Robb on this one. I've not ridden Banshee but every beemer I've been on that's been built in the past decade has been bland. Large and impressive, sure, but bland and hardly forceful.

The only exception would be Hollywood Dream Backdrop. Shocking, I know, but the reversed cars made it impossible to know when the airtime pops were coming and the helix by the lake pulled some good g's.

I'll wait until I ride it this July to judge Banshee, but GateKeeper is as close to "forceless" as you can get for a ride that size. I love that ride and it's loads of fun but not intense. Even if Fury 325 is a step-up from recent B&M's, it's no I-305 and two-for-two is hardly a hitting streak if you ask me.

What it comes down to is that new RMC's serve a different purpose than most B&M's do from the last 15 years.

Also the newer B&Ms are far from "soft"

Really? Which ones? Of all the B&Ms I've been on in the last few years, the only one that really took me by surprise as being somewhat forceful was Banshee. And while that ride was REALLY good, it still was not as forceful as coasters B&M have done from 1992 - 2002.

True but we're not comparing to 1992-2002 - and going back to the full quote, they (B&M) only design what the park wants. That doesn't mean they are incapable of making "OMG FORCES11!!1" coasters.

I can't be the only who thinks this concept is extremely gimmicky. Having just one rail won't change the ride experience, and before anyone says that it can enable less supports, the amount of supports required is the same amount as a B&M sit down. It seems that RMC has been a little gimmicky lately (world's fastest WOOD LAUNCH coaster).

I don't think the concept is gimmicky at all really. The way I see it, the whole point of the new track is to allow their steel coasters to withstand higher forces than what wooden coasters or other coasters using their I-beams can. I think the single rail system will look strange, but when it comes down to it RMC is just offering a steel coaster with insane potential, solely because it is from RMC. Some of the elements shown in the teaser videos are unlike anything we have seen from other coaster manufacturers.

The only thing that I believe makes Lightning Rod's launch a gimmick is the fact that it's more of an accelerated lift hill rather than what we see on other launch coasters. Even then, I see Herschend as the guilty party in wanting a wooden coaster with a launch. They're the ones that will market the ride to the GP as the first wooden launched coaster, not RMC. I've said it before, but Herschend seems to like these sorts of gimmicks.

I don't think the concept is gimmicky at all really. The way I see it, the whole point of the new track is to allow their steel coasters to withstand higher forces than what wooden coasters or other coasters using their I-beams can. I think the single rail system will look strange, but when it comes down to it RMC is just offering a steel coaster with insane potential, solely because it is from RMC. Some of the elements shown in the teaser videos are unlike anything we have seen from other coaster manufacturers.

The only thing that I believe makes Lightning Rod's launch a gimmick is the fact that it's more of an accelerated lift hill rather than what we see on other launch coasters. Even then, I see Herschend as the guilty party in wanting a wooden coaster with a launch. They're the ones that will market the ride to the GP as the first wooden launched coaster, not RMC. I've said it before, but Herschend seems to like these sorts of gimmicks.

I agree the launch is a gimmick, but it is hardly just an accelerated lift hill. The Hulk's launch is about as fast and that has quite a bit of kick to it. It definitely won't be the most forceful launch ever, but I expect it be far from dull.