TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rough coasters

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky me, the only ride I've ridden that's really terribly rough is Wildcat at Hershey (I love it anyway). Rolling Thunder wasn't that rough when I rode it, the very last day of its operation. I didn't think Meanstreak was too bad at all either, the roughest coaster at Cedar Point is easily Corkscrew.

Edited by Dr. M

Matterhorn at Disneyland.

Ghostride at knott's berry farm.

Riddler's revenge at six flags magic mountain.

Not coaster

Jet Stream at six flags magic mountain.

this is roughest flume ride ever been on, I thought go be smooth ride boy i was wrong.

Rode Hurler last weekend at Carowinds, thought it was a great experience, granted I was in the front of the train but found it to be fairly smooth.

Mean Streak is by far the most brutal coaster I've ever been on. I will hold out hope that it can get the RMC treatment someday.

I should go ahead and say La Vibora at Six Flags Over Texas. This ride beats the crap out of your knees and elbows. I'll just hope that I have a better experience on the other bobsled coasters.

You know, besides being really hot and sweaty during the summer, Disaster Transport was really enjoyable.

I actually really miss it to be honest.

I should go ahead and say La Vibora at Six Flags Over Texas. This ride beats the crap out of your knees and elbows. I'll just hope that I have a better experience on the other bobsled coasters.

You know, besides being really hot and sweaty during the summer, Disaster Transport was really enjoyable.

I actually really miss it to be honest.

I believed that Disaster Transport's cars had side-by-side seating while La Vibora has inline trains so DT is a little different (and maybe smoother).

I'm surprised that I'm the first person in the thread to bring up Gouderix. That thing was awful (as demonstrated here).

Gouderix was pretty bad, but honestly once you're through the butterfly element it isn't any worse than an Arrow looper. That first unholy inversion and the butterfly are outrageously bad, though.

Jet Stream at six flags magic mountain.

this is roughest flume ride ever been on, I thought go be smooth ride boy i was wrong.

Out of curiosity, how many flumes have you been on?

Personally I've never heard of a rough flume and thought Jet Stream was a pretty standard, enjoyable ride that we rode four times on our visit last year (2 double rides thanks to the Platinum Flash Pass). What about it would you consider rough?

These have all induced a headache:

The Rattler

Wildcat at Lake Compounce

Mean Streak

Texas Giant right before the redo

Son of Beast

Hercules

Rolling Thunder

Excalibur at Funtown/Splashtown

If you say Excalibur at Funtown is a rough coaster than you don't know rough. That is a fairly smooth coaster with very little shaking.

Canobie Corkscrew can be pretty bad but last season it was running much better.

Wildcat at lake compounce is just garbage, it's not even an ounce of fun.

Here are some of the roughest ones I've been on:

-Mean Streak, Cedar Point

-Demon, Six Flags Great America

-Corkscrew, Cedar Point

-Voyage, Holiday World

-Iron Wolf, Six Flags Great America (good riddance)

-Mantis, Cedar Point

-Every single coaster at Mt. Olympus

Wildcat at lake compounce is just garbage, it's not even an ounce of fun.

Might want to give Wildcat another shot, it's been retracked pretty much start to finish, and reprofiled in a few places. Whole new ride now, and it's gone from a painful mess to a great little coaster.

-GhostRider (KBF). Even though I ride it on almost every visit, it is getting very rough. I'd love to see the crew that worked at Carowinds come to Knott's.

-Blue Streak (CP). It has loads of airtime, but it surely smacks you around.

Magnum XL-200 (CP). Again, it has tons of airtime but gives a very bouncy, rough ride.

Jaguar (KBF). This is definitely the worst family coaster at Knott's. It's uncomfortable, rough, long, and boring.

-Blue Streak (CP). It has loads of airtime, but it surely smacks you around.

I didn't find it terribly rough but I do remember riding it just after a nice meal and I could feel my stomach bouncing about a bit.

-Dominator(last half), Kings Dominion

Even if you think Dominator is rough (which it's not), is it really so rough that you're grouping it in with those other coasters?

I have ridden Dominator more times than any other coaster. The last half gives you a headache. And I wasn't listing those rides in order of roughness, just in order of when I thought of them. I have been to KD so many times that at this point, Dominator isn't in the top 3, and is probably number 5 in the park. Dominator is one of the rougher B&M's. After the mid course break run, those interlocking corkscrews are rough. Trust me, I've probably ridden it more than you, so I know what I'm talkin about. But I was just listing some of the roughest I've been on, and it just so happens that the last half of the ride makes the list. I'm only counting the last half. The first part of the ride is fine.

I never said you didn't know what you were talking about, but I'm surprised that you'd consider it so rough that it belonged in the same category as those other rides which are all horrible.

I've ridden Dominator quite a bit myself (thanks in part to that awesome ERT session with TPR 2 years ago), the most recent being last October and I've never found it rough. In my opinion, even B&M's that have a little rattle are generally nowhere near as rough as rides like Mind Eraser... that was my point.

The thing is, sometimes, a coaster might not be so rough but because of the restraints, it seems rougher.

I'm not doubting you've had rough rides on dominator at all. It's just that B&M OTSR allow for very little roughness, I mean, it is not necessary for a ride with those to be very rough for it to be uncomfortable due to how close they are to your head. Most of us (me including) tent to think of discomfort rather than actual shakiness. So as many wooden coasters have rather "loose" lapbars it will require a lot more roughness to start feeling some pain. Mantis, for example, is very uncomfortable, but I feel that, in terms of "pure roughness" it is not as bad as other rides like Blue Streak that, because of the type of restraints, kind of make people "forgive it".

Hope I've made myself clear.

Hmmm let's see, Gwazi and all the wood coasters at Canada's Wonderland except for their junior woodie. I never had my teeth rattled as much as what I experienced on those. I would love to see the Rocky Mountain treatment on Gwazi but we all now know its days are numbered.