TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

^My opinion of Voyage to the Iron Reef is the direct opposite of yours. I really enjoyed it during West Coast Bash--lots of fun and very re-rideable. The log ride still rules, though.

Same here Chuck. I went in with not so favorable expectations and was highly impressed. To me, it was one step below TSM over at Californias Adventure. Not sure how wonder mountain guardian is but I would not opposed the rest of the chain getting something like voyage.

^I agree, too. After reading about WMG, my expectations were pretty low. Voyage was much more immersive than I was expecting. It's definitely a solid (and needed) addition to Knott's.

Maybe for next year or 2017, I'd love to see Knott's update their flat ride collection by putting one in Windseeker's spot and Screamin' Swing's spot.

I'm going to be visiting on Thursday as part of a LA/Vegas trip from the UK. I have a cedar fair platinum pass from an earlier US trip, does anyone know if you can use it for parking during scary farm? I'l be visiting the park during the daytime to do most of the coasters and iron reef etc, does anyone have any suggestions of what to do in the local area in the time the park is closed before scary farm opens?

Oh, and if anyone would like to join me on Thursday you would be more than welcome!

I'm going to be visiting on Thursday as part of a LA/Vegas trip from the UK. I have a cedar fair platinum pass from an earlier US trip, does anyone know if you can use it for parking during scary farm? I'l be visiting the park during the daytime to do most of the coasters and iron reef etc, does anyone have any suggestions of what to do in the local area in the time the park is closed before scary farm opens?

Oh, and if anyone would like to join me on Thursday you would be more than welcome!

If you arrive in the day it will work. If you park at night it will be a separate fee.

If you arrive in the day it will work. If you park at night it will be a separate fee.

This year they changed the policy...if you have parking on a regular season pass (and in your case, the Cedar Fair Platinum Pass does), then you can get free parking at Scary Farm as well! Used my own regular KBF season pass that had parking added to it to park for KSF a couple weeks ago, and I showed up well after regular park hours (about 20 minutes before Scary Farm opened)! But the separate fee at night is how it worked in all the previous years before this one.

From the Knott's season pass page: "Season Long parking is also valid for Knott's Scary Farm parking." It's in small print near the bottom of the page.

Source: https://www.knotts.com/ticket-category/Season-Passes

^ That's a bummer. I live nearby and with the Scary Farm pass I've been several times. The first four or so times the Platinum Pass worked fine for parking. The fifth time I had to pay and go to Guest Relations to get the money back. The sixth time it still didn't scan but they knew about the issue and waived me in without having to pay, once I said it had happened the prior night and I had to get my money back. The next time and any subsequent time, the pass has scanned properly again.

Link on Screamscape

This still appears to be a total retrack with few to no profile changes . I think it may be possible that the track's centerline may be being altered for the purpose of maintenance and rider comfort, however there's a lot we have yet to see.

Regardless of the finished product Ghostrider has a great layout and it's great that KBF is doing their best to bring it back to its old self.

Those that can/have seen the lot of wood for the track, are there any boards in the lot that are darker, like a dark brown, reddish color, than the standard yellow pine boards?

If this is GCI doing the re-tracking, that could be why we haven't seen any of the newly laid laminate have its rail layers on yet. All of the latest images I've seen of it are only of the bottom 6 layers, the two top layers are still not installed yet. I've mentioned this before, but GCI has started using a different type of wood for the two top layers of the laminate for the track. I don't ever remember seeing them do that before (or any wooden coaster manufacturer for that matter) until this year when I noticed it on Shivering Timbers after they re-tracked the helix. It must be a more denser wood, like oak or maple, since those are much denser than the standard yellow pine.

Link on Screamscape

This still appears to be a total retrack with few to no profile changes . I think it may be possible that the track's centerline may be being altered for the purpose of maintenance and rider comfort, however there's a lot we have yet to see.

Regardless of the finished product Ghostrider has a great layout and it's great that KBF is doing their best to bring it back to its old self.

from what i can see so far, and, i'm no retrack expert, so keep that in mind, all the headers i've seen installed, line up with the bolt holes that were previously used.

the drop, hasn't looked any different to me, yet. i don't see any wood besides the track removed.

Those that can/have seen the lot of wood for the track, are there any boards in the lot that are darker, like a dark brown, reddish color, than the standard yellow pine boards?

If this is GCI doing the re-tracking, that could be why we haven't seen any of the newly laid laminate have its rail layers on yet. All of the latest images I've seen of it are only of the bottom 6 layers, the two top layers are still not installed yet. I've mentioned this before, but GCI has started using a different type of wood for the two top layers of the laminate for the track. I don't ever remember seeing them do that before (or any wooden coaster manufacturer for that matter) until this year when I noticed it on Shivering Timbers after they re-tracked the helix. It must be a more denser wood, like oak or maple, since those are much denser than the standard yellow pine.

as of last week, there's no other color wood than what i've posted. but the pre lift section now has steel on top, but not the sides, since last week. but that section isn't significant, so maybe post lift, it can still change.

Thanks again for staying on top of this project, John. It's nice to get a detailed look at how this is coming along without having to stop by the park myself

no problem, glad someones watching. lol plus, i feel like i'm getting some moneys worth out of my platinum pass from not using it all year.

went again today. looks like they are starting on the upper sections. most of the back half looks fairly complete. no steel track yet except for the pre lift section. so, the top wood and track have yet to be started.

new headers were being installed around the mid course brake and drop when i was there this afternoon. there seems to be a lot of clamps holding the headers still. guess they leave it like that until track is complete for some adjustment, then bolt them in.

IMG_5564.thumb.JPG.8224055e21ba3a6404088149eb98db63.JPG

IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.d58fa97f547f1feec82dc66b422c2c29.JPG

IMG_5569.thumb.JPG.1074fd3a684d78831e6d984c96216f0a.JPG

IMG_5574.thumb.JPG.61a6ec4a22b1b1bb053b28599f55f589.JPG

IMG_5581.thumb.JPG.ab0cf77d06bf6aaf4ecd0caa428edd4f.JPG

IMG_5582.thumb.JPG.6e0ec64d749a8d8debbf7851385ba4bb.JPG

IMG_5584.thumb.JPG.0011e458b79c197d5ac58d00e56051b0.JPG

IMG_5585.thumb.JPG.6854b6f93276e8313e57d5973652179d.JPG

IMG_5587.thumb.JPG.5dda8de454a5b272f9d1b1138f740824.JPG

IMG_5592.thumb.JPG.11a7277ab856477d7ce74ea5debe0da3.JPG

IMG_5593.thumb.JPG.1e85e65e88cafe6794eb30ec3372947e.JPG

IMG_5601.thumb.JPG.e98233e5612cf36f24fd9387d8154870.JPG

IMG_5611.thumb.JPG.9a424c65d2a06ae3bc1f4cf31f7cb3c9.JPG

IMG_5613.thumb.JPG.e54b368c79138b4e54e127a467688d83.JPG

I have a feeling after this rehab this coaster is going to climb much higher on a lot of peoples "enjoyable coasters" list.

If it is back to its earlier years...it's a top 10 wooden coaster for sure.

I have a feeling after this rehab this coaster is going to climb much higher on a lot of peoples "enjoyable coasters" list.

Then the only thing remaining will be to see how long it stays that way this time. I have a hard time believing that the GCI approach will last as long as, say, topper track would have, and I'm curious as to whether they'll either a) prove me wrong or b) be kicking themselves for picking a temporary fix. Obviously, I'm hoping for the former!

Then the only thing remaining will be to see how long it stays that way this time. I have a hard time believing that the GCI approach will last as long as, say, topper track would have, and I'm curious as to whether they'll either a) prove me wrong or b) be kicking themselves for picking a temporary fix. Obviously, I'm hoping for the former!

I think if they stay with PTC's you're correct on being skeptical. On the other hand if the switch to MF's it should be tremendously beneficial. My only concern would be that you can use Gwazi and Wildcat as examples of how simply replacing the train doesn't help, however neither coaster received the extensive retrack exhibited in this project. But we could also look at what happened to Hades, where there was a lot of new track added and the ride is rougher than ever, but then again that wasn't a GCI project.

It seems that almost none of GCI's coasters that started with MF's have had deterioration that even comes close to what happened with most CCI, Dinn, and RCCA coasters. Considering many of those projects are over 10 years old it gives us a good idea as to how good GCI is with track quality. Knowing this I think there's a good chance this could be a home run.

so what do people reckon my chances are of riding this during my next visit in March next year? Last rode in March 2014, was pretty darn bone rattling then!

Pretty good, I'd say, as long as the weather cooperates. The ride has only been down for 6 or 7 weeks, and they already have all the old track off and are making good progress at rebuilding sections. It's all part of the 75th Anniversary thing, and I'm guessing the park will be shooting for March/April kick off.

hey i am on page 1,000! couldnt' resist. lol

edit: dammit just missed it.

anyway, i have not been here for a while. is RMC working on ghost rider?

No, it's GCI (although this hasn't been officially announced by the park).

Also, had a great time at Scary Farm with 805Andrew last night. The best moment was one of the scare actors in Black Magic snatching my water bottle from my hands and running away with it (I got it back of course). Also, one of the soldiers in Infected dropped an f-bomb (quietly to me and one or two others) lol.

^ I really think it is about managing expectations for that ride. Are there things they could have done to improve the show? Absolutely. But those are things that they can always tweak in the future, and hopefully will under Matt Oimet. But between the mine train, log ride, and journey, I think you've got a good selection of famiky friendly dark rides.

Any news or rumors about whats repacing screaming swings? Screamscape has nothing. Maybe there's an announcement soon for 2016 plans