TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roughest coaster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Both Giant Dippers are not very rough at all, and definitely neither are one of the 10 coasters in the world.

I don't know if this changes anything, but to clarify what I am thinking of in terms of "roughness" is consistent high shaking over the entire course of the ride and not having rough spots only at specific points of the ride.

^I guess are you only listing wooden coasters that you have been on? And if so how many have you been on total? Otherwise rating these things off of videos or other rider reviews is highly problematic. Most of the rides you have listed are really not even comparable to rides like Hades or other high-speed wooden coasters.

Rate the accuracy of this top 10 list. The #1 roughest is the Coney Island Cyclone.

I've been on 6 of those, and although I agree that Coney Island's Cyclone is VERY rough in spots, I don't remember any of the others being particularly bad. Wild One does feel like it's about to fall apart but wasn't really all that rough (Roar will beat you up much worse). Surprised to see Thunderbolt on there, it certainly wasn't bad at all when I rode it a few months back.

The roughness score on my little top 10 ten is based on stats of the rides.

One half is based on the age of the roller coaster based on its original opening date (score decreases the older it gets) and the other half is based on its max speed (score decreases the faster it gets). I have only applied the second half to wood coasters with traditional tech while all new tech wood coasters and all steel coasters get the max score for that half.

It's not perfect, but I am posting this stuff here for you guys to see so I can get your input and improve it.

^I guess my input then would be that the roughness-as-a-function-of-age piece really doesn't work. A properly maintained wooden coaster has had all its wood pretty much completely replaced several times in its life, not to mention the kind of maintenance that many younger coasters lack (cough*Gwazi).

The inherent problem in trying to quantify "roughness" is that it is so wholly dependent on an enormous number of factors, to the point where a ride may be smooth on one day and rough on the next. If you really wanted a way to quantify it you would need to be much more thorough than a two-input model, and even then it is unlikely that it would be obtainable because of the basic subjective nature of the term "rough".

^^^Thank you for the constructive criticism.

I suppose a more accurate piece of criteria would be to increase or decrease the roughness score based on the manufacturer, but even then the roughness for the rides of a specific manufacturer are not the same.

OH HOW I WISH RCDB.COM HAD MORE DATA ON G-FORCE LEVELS (only a very small number of roller coasters have this type of data available there)!

Shockwave (KD) is probably the most miserable roller coaster I've ever been on. The airtime was hilarious and awesome but good god does it hurt! If the ride was smooth and comfortable it would have been a great experience. I had bruises on my ribs after the fact. It just slams your body all over the place. What an amazing piece of sh*t.

Other honorable mentions would include X, Viper (SFMM), and ghost rider.

• 2 weeks later...
I've only been on a few painful coasters so here they are:

1. Grizzly at CGA

2. Viper at SFMM

3. Kong at SFDK

I disagree about Viper and Grizzly. Grizzly just rambles along pointlessly. No airtime, no thrills, nothing! Viper isn't really rough if you know which seat to ride in. From my experience with it. The second row on the second to last car is the smoothest.

Boardwalk Bullet!

But remember Wes, the night before it rained and the temperature was off. And I think there was a slight wind, and the humidity due to the wet wood was a little too high. Otherwise, it would've been smooth and amazing.

I've only been on a few painful coasters so here they are:

1. Grizzly at CGA

2. Viper at SFMM

3. Kong at SFDK

I disagree about Viper and Grizzly. Grizzly just rambles along pointlessly. No airtime, no thrills, nothing! Viper isn't really rough if you know which seat to ride in. From my experience with it. The second row on the second to last car is the smoothest.

Grizzly has new trains with a 3rd restraint that is horrible.

Ninja at Six Flags Over Georgia. When your battered before the lift hill, You are a bad coaster.

• 2 weeks later...
Ninja is, indeed, a painful experience, but I think it has nothing on Bandit in Germany.

Interesting, the roughest coaster I've ever been on was coaster express at Warner Madrid (also an RCCA). I mean, this, bandit, son of beast... are all the coasters they've built incredibly rough?

Viper (SFMM) isn't really rough if you know which seat to ride in.

This.

Same goes for Ninja at SFMM.

I also have to update my entry in this thread from last time after having been to SFFT and Valleyfair.

Good lord, Acme Express and Excalibur are uncomfortable as hell and shake like crazy.