TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strangest layouts

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mine Train at SFSTL... but that goes for a lot of mine trains. Ours has 3 lift hills and no action.

Speaking of bizarre mine trains, El Diablo at PortAventura... The bit from the second lift to the third hill is a banked drop to... trims, to... more trims, to the third hill? Yeah, way to go, Arrow!

Red Devil/Cliffhanger at Ghost Town in the Sky comes to mind. Alton's Nemesis is another, though it's probably more atypical than strange in this case. The Darien Lake/SFA Ride of Steel mirror clones with the long straight sections and ground level helices, and another 200+ ft. Intamin- Thunder Dolphin.

Ninja at SFMM comes to mind - not that the layout per-se is weird, it's just that it has that chain lift at the very end - people who have never ridden think there's going to be another drop or something and it's just back into the station.

The Dragon at Ocean Park has a funky layout with two lift hills.

Supersonic Odyssey has a very long and unusual pre-lift section, and an unusual turnaround before the first drop.

The crazy bent coat hanger section on Titan at Spaceworld, Japan.

Also, the layouts on both sides of Dragon Challenge are very unusual IMO.

And anything made by the Pax company looks like it was created by someone on meth.

If you're going to list River King Mine Train at SFStL then Dahlonega Mine Train at SFOG should be listed. Very similar with three lifts, ground hugging helices, and a covered drop at the end.

Yes and it is slow and boring until the last lift hill were you dive into the tunnel.

To think SDC new 2013 ride hasn't been said here. A wooden roller coaster with 3 inversions isn't what we call normal.

Yes because it is the only one of it's kind (for now?)

CGA's Grizzly, especially when comparing to the other Coney Island Wildcat clones. While the superiors have 2 hills between turnarounds, CGA's just has a long, drawn out stretch of track that does a whole lot of nothing. It was like that something could have been done with that but opted for what I call the 'lite version' of the clone.

Twister at Knoebel's is rather "eccentric," as is the Loch Ness Monster at BGW. The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley is a "Jeckyl and Hyde"--a rather gentle first half coupled with the most insane, brutal second half you'll find on any coaster.

I have to say Silver Dollar City takes the cake for strange layouts. Blame it on the mountain air, I don't know, but here it is:

Thunderation (1993):

An Arrow mine train, this coaster doesn't even get to the lift hill until the very end. It starts you out slowly, then you gradually pick up speed as you traverse a switchback down a bluff. The first element is a double helix into a tunnel, then you get to the first drop. I'd be surprised if it weren't the only coaster in the world with a helix before the first drop.

Powder Keg (2005):

A compressed-air launch coaster with a traditional lift hill at the end. As if that weren't enough, this ride zigzags in and out of its supports like it thinks it's a woodie.

Outlaw Run (2013):

Deceptively masquerading as a figure-eight layout, this woodie has three inversions. 'Nuff said.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

there's a rollercoaster in some country where the train goes up a lift hill then levels at the top, then the whole track section the train is on tilts vertically untill its strait down connecting to the bottom track, then lets the train go. I think its a tie between that and outlaw run

there's a rollercoaster in some country where the train goes up a lift hill then levels at the top, then the whole track section the train is on tilts vertically untill its strait down connecting to the bottom track, then lets the train go. I think its a tie between that and outlaw run

Sounds like you're referring to the Vekoma Tilt coaster Gravity Max in Discovery World in China. A video on Youtube titles it "the worlds first coaster with a broken track." I do however remember seeing the rendering on Vekoma's site back in the day and thought it was the most amazing thing ever, probably followed by your typical Vekoma head bashing.