TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Any coaster/attraction that was a mistake from day one?

Aww you're no fun, just trying to get people to post more as suggested in your newsletter- I think my topic had a much catchier title! Thanks for finding and merging though, if that's what you wish, I didn't see anything on the topic when I searched but I guess I didn't look hard enough

It's painfully obvious that you're trying to just get attention with all the threads you're bumping and creating. Well done.

Actually, he's doing a GREAT job of helping the forum and contributing to the discussion. When was the last time you created a new topic to help the forums thrive?

Does that guy need ice for that 3rd degree burn?

Also the TTD is one. That ride is a maintenance nightmare.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't consider TTD to be an "maintenance nightmare." Yes, it was a maintenance nightmare when it first opened, and for many years after that. But in the recent years TTD seems to be running MUCH better. Aside for some minor downtime here and there, which ANY coaster can have, I'd say it's finally running rather well. When we were at the park this summer it only broke down ONCE, which only caused about 15 minutes of down time. . . Compared to Maverick, GateKeeper, Raptor, Rougarou, and Millennium Force which ALL were down at some point during our visit for maintenance reasons, and all for at least 30 minutes or more.

At GAdv, I'd say Green Lantern. Now, it is a solid coaster and does garner lines, but it is often overlooked and greeted with lukewarm responses by the public. Ot never really gained much traction or interest. Considering the cost of relocation, the big plot of land it uses, and the fact that GAdv is an awfully important park to be taking in relocated coasters (along with smaller SF parks that could have really benefited from GL), I don't feel the ride ever made sense for the park.

I wouldn't consider TTD to be an "maintenance nightmare." Yes, it was a maintenance nightmare when it first opened, and for many years after that. But in the recent years TTD seems to be running MUCH better. Aside for some minor downtime here and there, which ANY coaster can have, I'd say it's finally running rather well. When we were at the park this summer it only broke down ONCE, which only caused about 15 minutes of down time. . . Compared to Maverick, GateKeeper, Raptor, Rougarou, and Millennium Force which ALL were down at some point during our visit for maintenance reasons, and all for at least 30 minutes or more.

Really? Wow. I always hear people saying how unreliable TTD is.

I agree with the people saying The Chiller. It was a really cool concept with a really unique layout, but Six Flags should have realized they werent able to run it and never have built it in the first place, rather than it being down 50% of the time.

As much as I enjoyed Chiller over the years, I wish that they had just added a third copy of Mr Freeze instead. It'd probably be continuing on strong to this day.

Possibly The Smiler could fit into this category, even if it is a great coaster.
The Smiler at Alton Towers. That ride costed more than it was worth.

I'm not sure why people keep bringing up The Smiler. The accident was NOT the ride's fault and had nothing to do with the quality of the ride or the ride being a "mistake." The "mistake" was on the part of the operations. From what I understand, Smiler has been VERY popular up until that incident.

Just in my opinion, not realistically, but what is with all those dive coasters that practically drop, turn around, and go into the brakes. Why even build it if you can't afford to add more. Examples: Oblivion, Krake

Well, Oblivion was a prototype, and Krake is very well themed.

Edited by cfc

Just in my opinion, not realistically, but what is with all those dive coasters that practically drop, turn around, and go into the brakes. Why even build it if you can't afford to add more. Examples: Oblivion, Krake

Perhaps that is all the park intended to have? I consider many of these shorter dive coasters to be a cousin of the drop tower. The thrill is the anticipation leading up to the drop followed by the free fall sensation during the drop. Sure there are some longer dive coasters out there, but even for them the extra track is merely icing on the cake after the initial dive.

Maybe it has nothing to do with "being able to afford to add more." Maybe it has more to do with that being exactly what the parks wanted. Not every park has to build the tallest, and fastest of everything. Smaller parks can get new coasters that are "smaller" or "shorter" than average coasters, and it works for them. If Cedar Point were to get Krake, it would be ridiculous, and if Heide Park were to get Valravn, it would be out of place in the park. That being said, as well themed as Krake is, I could see it or something like Baron 1898 fitting in well at SDC... Not because they "can't afford more." But because it is small enough, yet still packs the "new coaster appeal" that the park would be wanting.

I think the reason people keep bringing up the smiler is the ride cost like 18 milion £ yet in experience it's quite average.

Even with it's 3,486 inversions??

I think the reason people keep bringing up the smiler is the ride cost like 18 milion £ yet in experience it's quite average.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said it costed more than it was worth. It's a good coaster and all, but there have been about 5 "incidents" with mechanical issues, and simply just not as good as some of the other coasters out there.

Speaking of bad shows, how could I forget Stitch's Supersonic Celebration!

They spent millions...literally MILLIONS of dollars to build a new stage in Tomorrowland with NO seating, NO shade, and a small stage, and then put the worst possible show on it. According to Wikipedia "Opening on May 6, 2009, the show received poor critical reception and closed the following month."

I saw it and have a video of it. Just horrible from start to finish. It closed, the theater sat empty, and now they use it for DJs and special event shows.

There are videos online of it as well as photos. The real tragedy is that they destroyed some prime real estate in Tomorrowland to build a very ugly theater. AND those who were responsible for this show still work for the company. You'd think they would have been terminated after wasting so much money on such a bad product.

Id say I305 at Kings Dominion because four years after they added it, fanboys were already crying about how CF neglects the park and how they deserve a new coaster before any other park gets one. Invest in a park where people will appreciate what they have, CF! Not to mention the ride is fairly unpopular for what it is.

Id say I305 at Kings Dominion because four years after they added it, fanboys were already crying about how CF neglects the park and how they deserve a new coaster before any other park gets one. Invest in a park where people will appreciate what they have, CF! Not to mention the ride is fairly unpopular for what it is.

My political correct response: That is certainly an interesting way of thinking.

My unabashed response: Wow, that's illogical.

My political correct response: That is certainly an interesting way of thinking.

My unabashed response: Wow, that's illogical.

Batman and Robin: The Chiller, SFGA

I loved the concept, look and launch.....but doomed from the start! I give them credit to make numerous changes to make it right, but can't blame them for tearing it down.

This. GADV would have probably been way better off getting a Mr. Freeze clone or a one tracked shuttle ride instead of the duel tracked.

The Bizarro treatments. With effects that don't work most of the time and annoying audio, it was just unnecessary. Not to mention SFNE's got new restraints which are absolutely horrible. I'm glad they're changing it back to Superman (the red and blue are more aesthetically pleasing imo). Hopefully new trains will be added.

Son Of Beast has to be the biggest mistake when you consider the margin of error beginning right from its conception. It's almost like everyone involved with the idea and design of the ride knew absolutely nothing about roller coasters. Not only was it a traditional wooden coaster that obviously would have greater operating costs, but to make almost no innovation as to how the trains would interact with the track is quite impressive when it comes to poor planning. But.... they didn't stop there. They also managed to create the most boring profile that a high-thrill coaster can possibly have, and that was in a time when firms were making leaps and bounds with designing things like airtime into their creations. Some other coasters were busts, but it's hard to compare any of them to the level of SOB.