TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Does anyone here know if Uber or Lyft services the Hartsfield-Jackson airport? I was searching online for it but I could only find articles about how those companies are in dispute to see if they're allowed. So I'm really just not sure. I'm arriving at the airport in a few weeks at 7:30 am and we're going straight to Six Flags (and yes, we're aware the park isn't open for a few more hours). What is the easiest way to get there? We will not be renting a car.

There are uber's and lyfts from the airport. I believe it costs around 23 dollars or so to get to six flags.

So, this out of left field idea came to me earlier, regarding SFOG's 2017 addition...

What if we finally see another Intamin Accelerator Coaster like TTD or Kingda Ka? What better response to Lightning Rod, and Fury, than claiming the crown for the world's tallest coaster (think around a 475 foot top hat, with a 133 mph launch)? It's a bit of an outside the box idea, but it would certainly make a statement for SFOG, and there's definitely room for it at that location! Food for thought, at least...

So, this out of left field idea came to me earlier, regarding SFOG's 2017 addition...

What if we finally see another Intamin Accelerator Coaster like TTD or Kingda Ka?...

Nothing in that statement sounds good. Kingda Ka cost about 45m in 2005 and Intamin does not have a good track record recently.

Yeah, I think the days of SF spending 20 million on a coaster are over. It seems they are more interested in spending big money on building new parks. Might as well get used to Goliath being the top dog at SFOG. The next coaster will probably only cost half that.

Ka only cost in the 25 million range, but that is money that SF is not willing to spend anymore in a single place. There might only be a few exceptions to that, but it will come sparingly and only to the flagship parks (GADV, MM, SFOT, SFGAM, and SFOG). There are two ways to run a chain; SF style and build lower cost rides while ensuring every park receives an addition, or CF style which means the largest parks get huge attractions and the small parks suffer.

One thing that I have heard was that the Justice League rides cost in the 20 million dollar range, which is really surprising to me if its true. SF isn't so willing to spend that on a coaster anymore, but will spend it on a themed ride that they may neglect over the years. None of the JL rides are showing those signs yet, but we all know the company's past when it comes to theming.

Does anyone here know if Uber or Lyft services the Hartsfield-Jackson airport? I was searching online for it but I could only find articles about how those companies are in dispute to see if they're allowed. So I'm really just not sure. I'm arriving at the airport in a few weeks at 7:30 am and we're going straight to Six Flags (and yes, we're aware the park isn't open for a few more hours). What is the easiest way to get there? We will not be renting a car.

I got an Uber to the park from the airport when I was down there in April with no problem at all. 8:30 on a Saturday morning. Fast and easy, awesome driver. Drive was 20 minutes. I got an UberXL so it was a little more pricey but I think it came to $40 with tip.

Edited by boldikus

Six flags over georgia is an hour and a half, and Carowinds is 3 hours from me.

Guess which one I frequent?

Place needs something big

Six Flags Over Georgia is 45 minutes from me, Carowinds is 4 hours, and 15 minutes. Dollywood is 4, and a half hours. Guess which ones I've visited several times this season? Carowinds, and Dollywood. Guess which one I've only gone to twice for a few hours. Six Flags Over Georgia. Oh, also I had never been to ANY of these parks before I moved here in September (except I think I went to SFOG once when I was like 3 years old) The park just doesn't hold up to its competitors. I'm always willing to get up at 5AM and shoot over to Carowinds or Dollywood for a day before I visit SFOG even though I have a seasons pass to all 3.

They just don't pack the same punch currently, and a justice league ride is not going to help that. If they're a regional park, as opposed to a destination park, than I think they're gonna need to really step it up with at least 1 new awesome coaster soon, otherwise I'll be much more likely to drive to the destination parks because they offer me so much more.

Of course this is just my opinion, and I'm sure there are plenty who disagree with me, but I'm from the north, I was always within 2 hours of Six Flags Great Adventure or Hershey Park, not to mention Knoebles and Dorney Park. I guess I'm spoiled, but I'm gonna need something a bit more substantial than 1 pretty good Hyper Coaster and an awesome Looper (Mindbender) to justify spending a day at the park. I realize how entitled that sounds haha.

One thing that I have heard was that the Justice League rides cost in the 20 million dollar range, which is really surprising to me if its true. SF isn't so willing to spend that on a coaster anymore, but will spend it on a themed ride that they may neglect over the years. None of the JL rides are showing those signs yet, but we all know the company's past when it comes to theming.

The initial development of the ride concept itself may have cost that much, but each replication of the ride would only cost a fraction of the amount. It still makes sense for Six Flags' current model of ride additions.

What if we finally see another Intamin Accelerator Coaster like TTD or Kingda Ka? What better response to Lightning Rod, and Fury, than claiming the crown for the world's tallest coaster (think around a 475 foot top hat, with a 133 mph launch)? It's a bit of an outside the box idea, but it would certainly make a statement for SFOG, and there's definitely room for it at that location! Food for thought, at least...

Will never happen. It's a reason nothing is taller than 200ft in the park.

Regarding some of the comments on the last two pages...

Six Flags Over Georgia can not build over 200 feet due to the airport nearby. Additionally, it seems they have quite the uphill battle when trying to get approval for tall attractions.

As for competition with Dollywood and Carowinds, there is some competition I am sure, but it is very minimal. Dollywood caters to a different crowd overall, and in all honesty most people who go to Six Flags Over Georgia don't know what Carowinds is. I'm sure there is some level of competition for customers that live between Atlanta and Charlotte NC or between Atlanta and Knoxville TN, but the vast majority of SFOG customers are from the Atlanta metro or nearby. There is some traffic from outlying areas, western GA, and Alabama as well. If you go to the park and walk the parking lot looking at license plate counties, you can see this pretty quickly. The Atlanta metropolitan area has nearly 6 million people. That's a huge market for the park to pull from and doesn't even include many counties that frequent the park.

I think it is in the best interest of the park to expand their offerings to become a 2 day park for the people that are traveling from Alabama and rural parts of Georgia. That is exactly what additions like Hurricane Harbor do. They should really look into offering a 2 day ticket and further partnering with the hotels by the park in my opinion.

They certainly aren't wasting time. They just posted a video of the bumper cars being hauled out on Twitter. I still don't see how a Justice League dark ride would require them to close down a ride suddenly and haul it out immediately in mid June.

I was wondering about height restrictions at the park, and actually tried to find out that information, to no avail, prior to posting about the "Strata" coaster. Thanks for the clarification! We can safely cross that one off the list!

I still feel like the leader in the clubhouse (my "clubhouse", at least) is a JL:BFM installation. That being said, I still have this nagging feeling this might be something bigger, something more along the lines of a custom RMC. I DO think they have to view the area as a larger whole than just the greater Atlanta area, and there is no doubt in my mind, that the actions of Carowinds and Dollywood do not go unnoticed to the SFOG brass. Still, if I had to pick a side in the debate between larger addition, or another clone... Come on! This is Six Flags we're talking about here! Of course I'm coming down on the latter side!

They certainly aren't wasting time. They just posted a video of the bumper cars being hauled out on Twitter. I still don't see how a Justice League dark ride would require them to close down a ride suddenly and haul it out immediately in mid June.

SFMM cleared land for their rumored JL months ago, Gradv as well. I think Six Flags plans for 2017 were just finalized so maybe SFOG was in limbo as to what their plans were.

There is a chance they could get the height restriction changed or possibly raised for that end of the park (other parks have varying height restrictions that are more strict on the side closest to the airport and less strict as the distance increases). I do hope that happens one day (or the airport closes down LOL) so we can see something in the 300 foot range built at the park.

SFMM cleared land for their rumored JL months ago, Gradv as well. I think Six Flags plans for 2017 were just finalized so maybe SFOG was in limbo as to what their plans were.

Ahh good point. It still seems really early, especially for a park in the south with no real winter. Anyways, Justice League is a great choice and a coaster would just be an even better surprise so I'm happy regardless.

There is a chance they could get the height restriction changed or possibly raised for that end of the park (other parks have varying height restrictions that are more strict on the side closest to the airport and less strict as the distance increases). I do hope that happens one day (or the airport closes down LOL) so we can see something in the 300 foot range built at the park.

I'm pretty sure around where skyscreamer is is where they can build the highest.

I'm pretty sure around where skyscreamer is is where they can build the highest.

I agree. Sky Screamer is over the 200 foot restriction because that restriction is based on the highest point in the park. Sky Screamer is located at the lowest point in the park, so I guess we could see a coaster as tall as Sky Screamer in that area.

I know Sky Screamer is said to be 242 feet tall but I thought they had overshot the height restriction when the ride was announced and had to change plans to have it at 227 feet . Does anyone recall the true height?

I realize they had a lot more to remove before construction could start but Great Adventure was tearing down the grandstand and Ft Independence/Aqua Stadium really early in the season last year for the freespin. Not saying SFOG is getting one but by July 6th last year fences were going up before demolition started.

I realize they had a lot more to remove before construction could start but Great Adventure was tearing down the grandstand and Ft Independence/Aqua Stadium really early in the season last year for the freespin. Not saying SFOG is getting one but by July 6th last year fences were going up before demolition started.

Interesting. Like I said, it just seems early especially here in the south but I guess it's not that out of the ordinary. Time will tell!

Be hilarious if they surprise us all and it ends up being another enclosed wild mouse, but this time to Batman AND Superman. One thing's for sure. It'd be funny to come back here and read the angry comments for months...

#ItllNeverOpen wait wrong angry thread, sorry as you were.

Be hilarious if they surprise us all and it ends up being another enclosed wild mouse, but this time to Batman AND Superman. One thing's for sure. It'd be funny to come back here and read the angry comments for months...

#ItllNeverOpen wait wrong angry thread, sorry as you were.