TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your favorite coaster tunnel

The roller coaster with the best tunnel has to be the Loch Ness Monster located in Busch Gardens Europe in Williamsburg, VA. When your train enters its mysterious cave and you travel in helix after helix, you wonder how much more you need to go before you meet face to face with Nessie and finally the second lift hill that will take you to the second loop and the return to the station.

To me, no trip to Busch Gardens Europe is ever complete with a trip on old Nessie.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Tremors' first tunnel (if I have to choose one): It provides an astounding headchopper, and it follows an amazing first drop! The other tunnels have excellent headchoppers as well.

Giant Dipper (SCBB): It takes me by surprise every time, and I swear there's a tiny bit of air (if that's even possible). It's dark, and pretty long and confusing. Then the lift looks like it keeps getting taller and taller. What's not to love?

Goliath (SFMM): I did not trust the clearances! Yes, I know I've kept my hands up on Tremors, which probably provides the exact same effect. Yes, I know I'm not even the tallest person around. Yes, I know a lot of people keep their hands up. Yes, I know that enthusiasts have confirmed that it's okay.

But still...I just couldn't do it. I had to duck there, and at all the amazing headchoppers that followed. I can only imagine how I would've felt if I'd actually been a level-headed enthusiast and forced myself to keep my hands up the whole time. Sometimes I'm just not up to overriding my instincts...

The best tunnel on a coaster has to be Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion. They keep it dark with no lights. I can take my LED keychain light and flicker it on and off during the ride and it scares people. Thank Premier Rides for building this. It's my favorite ride.

It may be a strange one but I consider the first tunnel after the small drop on Space Mountain WDW, the one with the travelling blue lights before the turn to the lift, to be my favorite tunnel. It may be a slow speed tunnel with very old fashioned effects but it just lets me know I'm in the Magic Kingdom.

The Voyage triple down.... without a doubt....

FIXED!!! I would have to go with that same tunnel as i've never had the pleasure of riding Hades yet. Another one that stands out is River King Mine Train's last tunnel!

Worst tunnel in the world has to be Adventure Express's "YOU WILL PAY!!!" lift hill to the station! Actually a wonderfully themed tunnel but, HOW CAN YOU BUILD UP ANTICIPATION ONLY TO END THE RIDE LIKE THAT??!!!

I love the tunnels on Bizarro at SFNE because they are engulfing and dark, filled with special effects and mist, but mostly because they are placed at very opportune times in the ride that keep the pacing exciting and different.

There are a number of tunnels that I like:

Goliath-It always looks impossibly small from the top of the hill.

Magnum XL-200-Three tunnels including one with surprise airtime if you've never been on it before.

Maverick-Love the surprise launch with almost no warning in near darkness.

Millennium Force-The train goes through the tunnels so quickly they just flash by.

Terminator Salvation: The Ride-How do you not enjoy a tunnel you're told to take?

I may be a bit biased, but ever since I was little my favourite tunnel has been the one on Minebuster at CW. The screeching you hear echoing all around you from the coaster and the screams of the riders is deafening, and the light shining through the little pin sized holes is just awesome. Now if only CW was to refurbish it so the second half of the ride wasn't rough as hell...