TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

^Ben, I think we'll have to do our planning for the UK trip again...

I already have the credit but since it's the last season it will run, I'd love to go on it again...

It's sad to see a coaster go, and even more being that old and having thrilled so many people...Hopefully it will be for the better

If anyone's interested, I'm organising a meet-up on the 9th on Coasterforce to say goodbye...

It really saddens me that it's going. In my opinion, it's easily the 2nd best coaster at Alton (Behind Oblivion. Nemesis is crap in my opinion, and Air/Rita are good, but beaten by Corky).

I guess I'll have to head north to VekomaLand for my Corky needs from now on.

Cant say i will miss it, it is pure pain when riding!

We are off to alton towers sunday for a whole week so will make sure i ride it once more before it goes. I remember going on it a year after it first opened!!! How old do i feel now!

I'm very shocked at this! It's good news and bad news at the same time! Good news because its a VERY bad ride, bad news because its history.

I expect it to be missed by a lot of the GP. but for us, we come together with joy to tear down this coaster! Horray!

Good news because its a VERY bad ride

Sorry, but I need to ask this.

What's with all the Corky hating?

It's still a fantastic ride if you ask me. It has airtime, inversions, and it offers a quick thrill. It does exactly what it's supposed to, and it does it well. I can see why people don't like the experience of it, but you can't say it's a bad ride, because it's a fantastic ride...if that makes sense...You can call it a bad experience when you went on it, but the ride itself is good because it does what it's supposed to.

Like I personally don't like Nemesis, but I still know that it's a fantastic ride.

For continuity's sake...

Best pictures ever. Although I do have to say that, while happy to see another headbanger munched to metal, I could see how people would be sad. For me, it would be like seeing The Demon at CGA get demolished... even though I don't ride the thing anymore because it's not in my body's best interest. (I like to keep what's left of my brain intact)

I've already seen Tidal Wave/Greased Lightnin' go the way of the dodo, and that was actually my first looping coaster. Talk about sad. My first multi-inversion ride was Demon. Sad, innit?

Alas, all things must come to an end... notice how I didn't say all GOOD things come to an end... because not much Vekoma or Arrow did or does is good.

COME ON YOU RED DEVILS.

What's with all the Corky hating?

It's still a fantastic ride if you ask me. It has airtime, inversions, and it offers a quick thrill. It does exactly what it's supposed to, and it does it well. I can see why people don't like the experience of it, but you can't say it's a bad ride, because it's a fantastic ride...if that makes sense...You can call it a bad experience when you went on it, but the ride itself is good because it does what it's supposed to.

Like I personally don't like Nemesis, but I still know that it's a fantastic ride.

I think if you're someone who doesn't like Nemesis and is upset by Corkscrew being removed, you'll generally be in the minority.

I don't particularly have any thoughts one way or the other on Corkscrew leaving only that it's empty parcel of land paves the way for something new that I would potentially ride unlike Corkscrew which I didn't even give a "courtesy ride" on my last visit.

--Robb

I think if you're someone who doesn't like Nemesis and is upset by Corkscrew being removed, you'll generally be in the minority.

--Robb

Yeah, I know, but that's not what I'm trying to address. I'm asking why people think it's a bad ride. It does everything it's supposed to...so how can it be a bad ride? You individually might not like it, but that doesn't make it a bad ride.

This is good news as its my local park. I rarely ride it now and a new development would be very welcome. If Ugswingers are moved as well then potentially there is quite a bit of space for something really good.

Hopefully Rita may be re-themed to match as i'm not that fussed on the racing theme at the moment. Whatever replaces it I hope is themed to the max. I think Merlin the new owners seem to be moving the park in the right direction with regards to theming.

I know it wasn't a particularly comfortable ride but it's still a shame to see it go.

Whether you like the ride or not, it is a piece of alton towers heritage - it was their first rollercoaster and the first in the UK with 2 inversions.

Does anyone know what's gonna happen to it? whether it will be moved or just demolished??

EDIT: I've just found this about it on the BBC news website: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7648401.stm

Not like I will be flying over to ride it within the next month, but there is a good chance I will be riding whatever replaces it!

I never like to see things like this go, especially at a park with so much expansion room. Coasters throughout different generations really give a park some character. It is something that new parks simply can't "create." Even if a park like IOA, Port Aventura, Parque Warner, DCA or any "new" park tries to recreate an old ride, it is not simply the same as a ride that has seen the days gone by its own park. Kind of like Shockwave at my local park Kings Dominion. Whenever I think of that ride I think of mid-80s, gimmicky stuff, yet a popular ride right below the Eiffel Tower. If/when it goes something will be missing.

Personally, Corkscrew is a coaster you 'love to hate'.

But I always try to get a couple of go's on it everytime I go to Alton Towers.

Yes it's a pretty bad coaster compared to the other coasters at the park but I will kind of be sad to see it go.

It's part of UK's coaster history & I'm sure it will not be forgotten.

It has got a lot slower over the years & with the Vekoma trains rather than it's original Arrow trains it got a lot rougher too.

I'll miss the werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr clunk noise of the chain lift motor too !.

Now the interesting part will be is what Alton Towers does with the space after Corky has gone & has been turned into Coke cans

Maybe finally the park will get a wooden coaster ? But I'm thinking it will be Eurofighter !?!

I don't think a Eurofighter is on the cards for Alton Towers.

RE: Corkscrew - it is rumoured that the double inversions will be retained and be placed as some kind of lasting monument to the ride which started it all.

Ug Swinger is likely to be moving to Cred Street, which would leave only Rita for 2009 - allowing lots of development time for a 2010 attraction.

I think for people my sort of age 34 the Corkscrew was the 1st full circuit inverting coaster we could do, this is why its sort of special to some of us.

It was a reason to go to Alton Towers and every time I go there I make a point of riding it.

But yes its had its day and something newer will be built in its place and they can finally get rid of Ugland which I totally hate.

Yeah, I know, but that's not what I'm trying to address. I'm asking why people think it's a bad ride. It does everything it's supposed to...so how can it be a bad ride? You individually might not like it, but that doesn't make it a bad ride.

Does it? I've never had a thrilling ride on corkscrew (a headache however...) and certainly never find myself amazed by the abundance of airtime it has to offer, nor the painful entry to the mediocre inversions.

It was my first coaster with inversions but it was bound to go some day, so there's not much point getting upset about it.

Divv, I believe this does mean it has to be ridden, but the thought of never getting a migraine again at AT will make me happy again