TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Did anyone catch the facebook live feed? Is this a Calypso car?

Hope I'm not ruining any surprises... A classic Calypso would definitely be a nice addition!

Damn, you're good

Thank you. Not exactly rocket science, but I remember that deserted Calypso at Fun Spot the minute I saw that on the video.

Turns out this Calypso was originally at LeSourdsville Lake/Americana.

That time I rode Screechin' Eagle 64 times in one day

Like fireworks exploding in lights?

Yes, please!

I'm excited to see them restore a classic ride and fill a dead spot in the park. As mentioned, I hope they turn that middle section into firecrackers to really help it standout as you go down the walkway. HW has an amazing painting crew (look at Thunderbird's station if you need an example) and I'm sure they're going to do an amazing job making this ride look amazing again. It also excites me to see them making a lot of infrastructure improvements. Nobody listed those, so here they are:

• Shade structures over Kitty’s Tea Party, Comet’s Rockets, Jungle Racer and Otorongo
    Track work on The Voyage and The Raven wooden roller coasters
    New six-story tower at Watubee family water slide
    Restaurant improvements to Alamo and other outlets to enhance service, allow for new menu opportunities, and increase access to free soft drinks
    Zinga will get a fresh coat of paint

I'm going to guess "Bison-tennial Spin" was a Paula creation.

Thank you, but no. It was Eric Rentz, our Director of Attractions. If you listen to our podcast, he's the one who didn't wear pants during his job interview.

Yes I do! It sounds like Eric will never live that down.

Speaking of the podcast...Melt Bar and Grilled is now offering "The 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon Melt."

So I just got done catching up with HW's podcast. Just a couple things I took from it regarding next year. The park has around 100 capital improvement projects going on for next year. It's really neat to hear them talk about it, as most parks don't bother doing so. With that being said, I'm not sure if it's common for parks that many capital projects in one off-season? Anyways, the other thing I took from it, one of those projects, which is making improvements to The Alamo restaurant, involves it being turned into a Chipotle style restaurant. I've loved Chipotle the few times I've had it, so I'm pretty excited about that!

^What? Nothing wrong with being excited about the new ride.......

Wow! Consider me excited! Can't wait for this to open up! Definitely will head down to the park next year Also ps Kanye is the Greatest artist of our generation

I miss the old HoWo, that's how they roll HoWo.

Excited for this new HoWo, T-Bird's my muse HoWo

The HoWoPo and HoWoPoPo HoWo.

I'd really like to meet the cast of HoWoPo.

See there was no HoWo till Louis Koch invented HoWo

And even then it was Santa Claus Land

Till it was renamed HoWo

What if HoWoPo read a poem about HoWoPo

Aloud on HoWoPo? Man, that'd be so HoWoPo

We love you, HoWo, like Kanye loves Kanye.

^What? Nothing wrong with being excited about the new ride.......

Wow! Consider me excited! Can't wait for this to open up! Definitely will head down to the park next year Also ps Kanye is the Greatest artist of our generation

Yeah I got it..........just a little sarcasm.

Till it was renamed HoWo

Don't know where that came from but

Till it was renamed HoWo

kanye-west-shrug.gif.2b377d3565841d25b8f5a71be569548e.gif

Where does one stay when coming to visit Holiday World? Hotel app says closest hotel is in Ferdinand about 17 miles away. I'm not familiar with the area the park is located, so are there any lodging options closer to the park? Thank you for your help.

There's he really crappy Santa's Lodge that is just about a mile away. Then there's a Baymont Inn and Suites and Motel 6 in Dale which is maybe 10 minutes away.

Till it was renamed HoWo

Barz barz barz

Where does one stay when coming to visit Holiday World? Hotel app says closest hotel is in Ferdinand about 17 miles away. I'm not familiar with the area the park is located, so are there any lodging options closer to the park? Thank you for your help.

There's he really crappy Santa's Lodge that is just about a mile away. Then there's a Baymont Inn and Suites and Motel 6 in Dale which is maybe 10 minutes away.

I've stayed at those hotels in Dale. They are ok at best. There aren't too many options... yet! This year, a bunch of my family stayed in 2 cabins in the campground. That was nice! Not cheap, but ok for a few people.

I've stayed at those hotels in Dale. They are ok at best. There aren't too many options... yet! This year, a bunch of my family stayed in 2 cabins in the campground. That was nice! Not cheap, but ok for a few people.

Not to discredit you but when we stayed at the Baymont it was fantastic, albeit a little pricy. We also went in with low expectations since we had never even heard of the chain before, and it was in the middle of nowhere IN, so that may have skewed our opinions of the property.

I'm a first time visitor this upcoming summer but I've already booked The Red Roof Inn in Ferdinand off Priceline for a decent rate. Red Roofs are always hit or miss since they're franchises but I've never had a truly horrible experience at one. Tip, if your dates are set try using Priceline's express deals, there aren't very many options in the area so you can generally figure out which hotel you're booking(since they don't tell you the hotel till after you book using Express). I was able to save $18 a night using the express deal over just booking the room. One downside however is express deals are NON-refundable.

Apparently Santa's Lodge is so crappy that HW actually took them off their recommended lodging page on their website.

http://www.holidayworld.com/plan-your-trip/hotels-camping/

As far as places to stay are concerned, I recommend the Days Inn in Jasper. I've never had a bad stay there and Jasper probably has the best places to choose from when it comes to restaurants. If you're looking for anything better, you'll have to go to Evansville. which is about an hour away from the park. Jasper is only about 30 mins from the park.

As far as places to stay are concerned, I recommend the Days Inn in Jasper. I've never had a bad stay there and Jasper probably has the best places to choose from when it comes to restaurants. If you're looking for anything better, you'll have to go to Evansville. which is about an hour away from the park. Jasper is only about 30 mins from the park.

I'm a hotel snob and the Days Inn is a decent place to stay. It has won a lot of awards in the chain for being overly clean for a Days Inn. If you're a super hotel snob like me, there's a Hampton Inn in Jasper, as well, which is next door to Schnitzelbank. Jasper is about 20 minutes away from the park, but be aware that it's in a different time zone.

http://www.schnitzelbank.com/

I'm a hotel snob and the Days Inn is a decent place to stay. It has won a lot of awards in the chain for being overly clean for a Days Inn.

And just for the record I also stayed at the Jasper Days Inn, albeit about 7 years ago, and it was one of the best Days Inn experiences I've had.

Not to discredit you but when we stayed at the Baymont it was fantastic, albeit a little pricy. We also went in with low expectations since we had never even heard of the chain before, and it was in the middle of nowhere IN, so that may have skewed our opinions of the property.

No discredit taken, thank you for sharing. I guess those hotels have been hit and miss for me. I've been going to Holiday World since 1995, and my friends and I have had good rooms and cruddy ones. And cruddy service.

As someone else mentioned, I'm also looking forward to Holiday World opening up their own hotel at some point. I would feel confident in their quality!

^If they do open up their own hotel i wonder if it will have an indoor waterpark like many other amusement park hotels do. However i wonder as awesome as the indoor waterparks are I wonder if they get a lot of business during the summer since you know there is often the real waterpark a stone throw away. They are awesome for winter time. Have a Christmas themed waterpark and an awesome light show at the park itself during Christmas time.