TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

They are called "Roller Skaters" because the standard vehicle is shaped like a roller skate:

Rides like Nuthouse Coaster, Barnstormer and more have cutom themed cars.

The *technical* name is simply "Junior Coaster"

Edited by ParkTrips

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, even though I do like to ride just for fun, if I did go to a park, I still would ride everything, just so I COULD say I rode it. Maybe not the kiddie coasters, but if I went to cedar point, I would make sure I rode evrerythikng, just so I could say I rode everything.

Well, even though I do like to ride just for fun, if I did go to a park, I still would ride everything, just so I COULD say I rode it. Maybe not the kiddie coasters, but if I went to cedar point, I would make sure I rode evrerythikng, just so I could say I rode everything.

But at some parks, you would have to whore a kid out to get some credits, therefore bringing you into the world of credit whoring

ok lets say someone rode Kumba 5 times. Does it count as five credits?

....that would be dumbbbb

No. But I do count each of my rides, and input them into coastercounter. To this day, I still have an accurate count of exactly how many times I've been upside down.

I get the whole coaster counter thing, but I have some questions about specific rides.

1. Do racing coasters (such as Gemini at CP) count as two different coasters?

2. Are those dropping things (like Demon Drop at CP) considered coasters?

3. And what about powered coasters (the only one that comes to mind is Blazing Fury at Dollywood) count as a true credit?

Thanks!

I get the whole coaster counter thing, but I have some questions about specific rides.

1. Do racing coasters (such as Gemini at CP) count as two different coasters?

2. Are those dropping things (like Demon Drop at CP) considered coasters?

3. And what about powered coasters (the only one that comes to mind is Blazing Fury at Dollywood) count as a true credit?

Thanks!

1) Yes.

Dueling Dragons counts as two, Space mountain (in WDW) counts as two, racing coasters count as 2, and so on.

2)No. Tose are flat rides, not coasters.

3) It depends. This is the gray area. Each case is different. If you wanted to be really technical, then some people may consider all launch coasters not to be actual roller coasters. However, that is a bit extreme. In my opinion, unless a significant portion of the ride relies on gravity, it is not a coaster.

Thanks. Guess I should change my coaster count down to 64. (lol I had counted Demon Drop) I'll keep my powered coasters though.

Oh yeah, I visited Disney World just a few years ago and didn't even realize there were two different sides.

Thanks. Guess I should change my coaster count down to 64. (lol I had counted Demon Drop) I'll keep my powered coasters though.

Oh yeah, I visited Disney World just a few years ago and didn't even realize there were two different sides.

They are the same ride, but mirror images.

One has 10 extra feet of straight track at the end, so they aren't exact clones though.

• 1 year later...

Why is it that people would travel from let's say, Los Angeles to New Jersey, because they have a new "credit?" I can understand it if you haven't ever been there before and want to ride the rides for pure enjoyment, and not for another plus on your coaster count, but I saw a post a long time ago that said something like "I would never wait more then an hour for a credit that I already have." So even if it's the best ride you ever rode, you don't want to wait an hour because you already got the "credit." They even said they would wait about two hours for a Vekoma Boomerang! Why would you want to ride something you don't even like just as an extra check mark on your coaster count when you could be riding something that you enjoy? Am I just out of the loop?

^umm...yea kinda.

Credits = bragging rights. In the short run they dont count much; but when you get to the point where you can say "I've ridden all the Boomerangs in the world!" or, in Elissa's case "Ive ridden all the Vekoma GIANT Boomerangs!! I have all 4! ha haha haha ha!", htne it becomes a big deal.

It's a TPR thing, you'll come to understand it

Personally I don't care about credits but that's probably because I am 25 and really don't go overboard with the theme park stuff. I go to theme parks because I truly enjoy them and just go on the rides that I am really into. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of wooden coasters. At times I skip on them in favor of rides that might be the equivalent here in LA (like Scream or Deja Vu) because I love floorless coasters.

I just ride what ever I want to. If I get a credit that's fine if I don't, I don't. If I'm at a new park I will first ride everything I want to then if there is time left I may do the pointless ones but I only would do that if I had plenty of time and they had no wait. Even at parks like Dollywood which I'm at all the time I really have no credits on rides that I didn't actually want to ride, I haven't rode any of the smaller kid rides just to get credits (except tea cups but that was with my little cousins).

Credits are bragging rights, and give the sense that you have more credibility when it comes to discussing them. If you've only ridden 20 coasters and say "Raven is the best coaster ever!" it's not nearly as believable to someone as if you've ridden 400 coasters and still think that. Much like you wouldn't really put much thought into believing what someone who has only been at their job for 3 weeks has to say about the job over someone who has been there for 30 years. The more credits you have, the better the chance you know what you're talking about when it comes to comparing different coasters, and more people will weigh on your advice and opinion.

In the end, this hobby is about having a fun time. For some people that means its about credits, for others it's about atmosphere, or whatever. Everyone treats this hobby in a different sense. I'm not big on counting coasters or trying to get every credit, that's just my personal preference.

First off, the "credit" thing didn't start with TPR. That's been a coaster enthusaist thing since day one.

And this whole hobby is what you make of it. Honestly, Elissa and I aren't even as big of credit whores as other people. While yes we'll go do the average kiddie coaster here and there if it's in the area, but we won't go too far out of our way.

Hell, we were down in Houston 3 weeks ago and didn't bother with any of the kiddie credits that were within an hour drive!

We'll make a trek across country if it's something we're interested in. Like a new Intamin hyper or rocket coaster, a new woodie, or some other ride that looks cool. And if we're doing a trip like that, of course we'll add on to it as much as we possibly can. Sometimes it's parks we've already been to, sometimes it's parks with new credits, and yes, sometimes it's a credit whore park.

Wes said it best, the hobby is about fun. So if fun for you is credit whoring the crap out of parks, GO FOR IT!

--Robb

I'm more if I'm there I may as well make an effort to ride every coaster, I think when I was approaching 200 coasters I was starting to get a bit more determined to get credits (though not to the extent that I would go out of my way to ride a crap coaster) but now I've passed that mark it's like whatever.

I definitely wouldn't do any travel to ride a mediocre coaster so I get the credit.

Heck there's two credits 65 miles away from me that I haven't bothered getting yet cause I'm not that big of a 'jeff johnson'.

As for the waiting, yeah I'll wait longer for a crappy ride that I don't have the credit than a ride I've already been on, but that's just cause I hate waiting, and then I never have to wait for that ride again!