TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Comprehensive Coaster Credit Conversation

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^No, there's no one checking, no official way to know if someone is lying. It's totally on the honor system. That being said, people will know if you're lying and say you have some obscene number of credits yet no one's ever seen you at these parks and you have no proof!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am asking for OPINIONS here, as everybody's method of counting coasters is different.

Where do you draw the line as to what counts as a DIFFERENT credit, when referring to the SAME ride????

Obviously, if you ride a coaster like Scream @ SFMM, that counts as ONE credit. End of story.

But what about dual track coasters?

Some, such as Lightning Racers as Hershey or Dueling Dragons at IOA seem like no brainers (Each side is a credit, since they are vastly different layouts - essentially, TWO completely different coasters that intertwine).

Others, such as Rebel Yell at King's Dominion are not such different tracks. Or Racer at Kennywood, is actually ONE LONG MIRROR IMAGE TRACK. Where is the differential, or should EACH side count as a different credit???

What about BACKWARD driven coasters?

For 26 years, Racer at King's Island ran ONE train forward and ONE train backward. I rode both the forward AND backward sides, and NOW there is NO backward option. Same for SFMM Colossus. I've rode BOTH sides forward and ONE SIDE backward for Halloween. Is this ONE credit ONLY. OR is it TWO CREDITS, one per side??? OR is it THREE credits, one per side AND one backward. OR is it TWO credits, ONE for the ride forward and ONE backward???

What about SUPERMAN: The Escape & SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton???

ONE Credit, same ride. OR TWO credits via the forward-backward argument????

How about Space Mountain???

1970's version vs 2000's redux: same name, same location, same building, same concept theme, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COASTER. ONE credit or TWO???

I'll take any other similar examples as well.

-MR BEBE

Obviously, if you ride a coaster like Scream @ SFMM, that counts as ONE credit. End of story.

No it doesn't, it counts as thirty-two!

^ Yeah, sorry, that's not true at all. Anyway....

I know it's been discussed before, but it's always a discussion that seems to spark many responses as people have vastly different ways of counting. Here's my take....

First off, there is no right/wrong way. But I will say that, for example, when someone tells us stuff they count (ie. people who count log flumes, re-located coasters for the 4th time, etc) it will force us to judge how "desperate" they are to just pad their count with numbers. But in reality, it actually DOESN'T MATTER.

I've found that, to most random people in the world, if you tell them you've been on 200 roller coasters, that's crazy talk! I personally don't even keep a count, and if it wasn't for Elissa updating my count, I probably would have no idea! I honestly think I stopped "counting" (or caring) when I reached about 500.

To answer some of your questions, though....

But what about dual track coasters?

Some, such as Lightning Racers as Hershey or Dueling Dragons at IOA seem like no brainers (Each side is a credit, since they are vastly different layouts - essentially, TWO completely different coasters that intertwine).

Others, such as Rebel Yell at King's Dominion are not such different tracks. Or Racer at Kennywood, is actually ONE LONG MIRROR IMAGE TRACK. Where is the differential, or should EACH side count as a different credit???

I feel this is the one that creates the most controversy. I personally think the "easiest" way is to just count each coaster as "one" entity. Dueling Dragons, Lightning Racer, Superman: The Escape, Gwazi, etc, is one ride complex, and even though some rides have different names for each "side", it's still one ride on the park map.

That being said, after many years of simply getting sick of hearing the debate, I chalk it up to "I don't care", and I think I now count most dual track coasters as two.

If there was a further "rule" to the debate, I would have said that it only counts as two when each side is *SIGNIFICANTLY* different - like Fire & Ice, like Cylon & Human, Tiger & Lion, etc. I would NOT count Superman: The Escape, Colossus, Primeval Whirl, etc, as two....if I really gave a big enough crap! But I don't.

Honestly though, if I was told to make a "rule book" for counting coasters - I'd say the rule should be each "ride entity" counts as one. Just to make it "simple." And let's be honest, no one REALLY wants to ride both sides of Primeval Whirl, so why not just ride one side and be done, right?

What about BACKWARD driven coasters?

For 26 years, Racer at King's Island ran ONE train forward and ONE train backward. I rode both the forward AND backward sides, and NOW there is NO backward option. Same for SFMM Colossus. I've rode BOTH sides forward and ONE SIDE backward for Halloween. Is this ONE credit ONLY. OR is it TWO CREDITS, one per side??? OR is it THREE credits, one per side AND one backward. OR is it TWO credits, ONE for the ride forward and ONE backward???

A train being turned around, IMO, does NOT make it another coaster. And anyone that would tell me they counted, for example, Colossus as three or Psyclone as two because they rode it with a backwards train, I would assume they are just desperate to make something that is clearly not another credit, count for more.

What about SUPERMAN: The Escape & SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton???

ONE Credit, same ride. OR TWO credits via the forward-backward argument????

It's the same ride, IMO. It does the same thing, they only turned the car around. I would not count it again.

How about Space Mountain???

1970's version vs 2000's redux: same name, same location, same building, same concept theme, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT COASTER. ONE credit or TWO???

They tore it down and re-built the exact same ride. It doesn't count as two. Most people will have no idea it's even a different coaster. Some people will argue with me on this, I don't care. If you count is as two, again, you're just being desperate.

Here's a few other topics....

Relocated Coasters

Some people will count a ride that has been relocated as a new "credit" in each of it's new locations. Again, I find this to be nothing but desperate. You've already ridden the coaster! How can you count it again??? I don't buy into this "oh, it has new scenery, etc" crap because that's just crap. Honestly, if I thought people cared enough, I'd go buy a Wacky Worm, put it up in a huge parking lot, charge $20 per ride, and each week move it 6 inches over, give it a new name, and charge those same people $20 again to add it to their count! Cha-Ching!!!!

Traveling/Fair Coasters

Some people don't count these at all. Why not??? They are unique roller coasters! Why would you not count Olympia Looping, or Alpina Bahn, or Hi Miler? My rule of thumb is this - I do take note of who the traveling fair company is, and I WILL count each unique ride from that company, like if RCS has a mouse, a wacky worm, and a dragon wagon. I will NOT count them again, even if they are at a different fair. Sometimes they might even change out equipment, retire one wacky worm and buy another, in my book it's still the same coaster. Traveling fair coasters should kinda be looked at as "bonus credits." You don't want to not count them, but you also don't want to over-count them. Some people have a separate list for them, and that makes a lot of sense to me too.

Backyard Coasters

I don't count these because they are bullshit. I can set up a bucket on wheels running down a plank in my backyard too. It's not a roller coaster. I don't care what you try to convince me of. Some random dude who has set up a ride in his back yard from Home Depot is not a roller coaster. Or at least not one I would put on my list.

Coasters with noticeable significant changes

For example - Steel Phantom going to Phantom's Revenge. This, IMO is two coasters. Why? It was significantly changed enough into and marketed as a brand new ride. So you might ask "Why not count both Space Mountains then, as the new Space Mountain has more new track than Phantom's Revenge did when it opened?" Quite simply, it's just not significant enough, and the public really won't ever notice. Changing out the engine in your car doesn't mean you have a new car. Your 1984 Toyota Corolla is still a 1984 Toyota Corolla even if it got a new engine in 2007. Try telling Kelly Blue Book your car is a 2007 and see how far that gets you!

But seriously, SIGNIFICANT changes. Not just a turn here or there. X into X2 - Superman into Bizarro - not significant enough. The core ride is still the same experience. Like, I'd even call removing the loop from Son of Beast a stretch, because that was the ONLY part of the ride that changed, but I "get it" because it did remove the signature part of the ride.

Texas Giant is another example that totally counts as two credits. The changes were very significant. Honestly, I can't think of too many more. I'm sure there are others, but not many.

Water Coasters

Don't even try to tell me that Journey to Atlantis at SeaWorld is a "Roller Coaster" - it's a water ride. Period. When you spend most of your time in the water, it's a water ride. If a ride, like SheiKra for example, is mostly a roller coaster and has a "splashdown" element to it, it's a roller coaster. But when the core technology of your ride is a log flume or splash down ride, and has some coaster elements, it's a water ride. Sorry, guys.

Powered Coasters

Count 'em if you'd like. And while some people would add them to their "Coaster Counter" list, we don't list them on a "real" coaster count. They are fun, and we'll always ride them, and call them our "powered credit", but the reason why we call it out specifically is because we don't actually count them as a real coaster.

Kiddie Coasters

Why not count them? I mean, try telling a 5 year old kid that the roller coaster they just rode doesn't count as a roller coaster! Let us know how that goes!

Your personal count vs. an online counting system.

The trouble with the online counting systems is they force rules upon you that you may normally not agree with. For example, my CoasterCounter.com list says I'm at 1,459, but in reality, my "personal list" may be 200 coasters less than that. So why the discrepancy? Because when you use an online program, you have to assume that "all things are equal" and you check the box for all the coasters you have ridden.

When someone asks me how many roller coasters I've ridden, my standard answer is "A lot", and then when they ask me again, I say "Over 1,000, and depend on how you count, between 1,300 and 1,500, but I'm not a die-hard stats keeper."

When it comes right down to it, if you're a person that is really concerned about your count, I feel you should be very "conservative" when it come to counting, because that way, when you tell someone what your number is, it's actually a REAL number, not just a bunch of coasters added to your list to make it sound like you rode more than you really did. And I think most people know damn well they are just padding their count, but are not willing to fess up to that fact. I mean, I've seen people count log flumes, free fall rides, pedal monorails that "coast" for a few feet, mine trains, dark rides, etc. That's all just bullshit.

But there aren't any rules, and if you want to count every log flume and free fall ride out there, I will totally laugh at you, but knock yourself out!

Hope this helps!

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I don't count these because they are bull$#!%. I can set up a bucket on wheels running down a plank in my backyard too. It's not a roller coaster. I don't care what you try to convince me of. Some random dude who has set up a ride in his back yard from Home Depot is not a roller coaster. Or at least not one I would put on my list.

John Ivers' rides are the exception to that, I think. Full circuit coasters, cars with up-stop wheels, and one of the two even has an inversion.

But at the end of the day, my view is that it's your list; count whatever you like. That's the only rule that matters really.

I count the old Motorcycle Chase and Wacky Soapbox Racers separately, because the switch from cycles to soapbox cars changed the ride experience quite a bit.

^^ Personally, I wouldn't count his coasters. I'd ride them and have fun on them, sure. But I wouldn't put them on my personal list. Any ride that could be closed because the dude "isn't home", isn't a countable roller coaster to me!

I know it sounds crazy, but like, a guy who has a keg in his basement, isn't an actual "bar", if you know what I mean. (I'd call him a really cool friend!)

^ Ahh, Wacky Box/Cycle Chase. I rode them both as well, and I know many people who actually count them as "8 coasters" (Hi Jeff Johnson), but I actually only count that whole ride as 1.

But to each their own, really....

Edited by robbalvey

I agree with Robb with one exception ... Disneyland's Space Mountain.

IMO, it's an entirely new coaster, even though it's the same spot. Cloned coasters count, so IMO this is just a clone of the original Space Mountain, it just so happens to be in the same spot.

But other than that, I agree with Robb as far as things like Superman (counts as 2, not 4 now that it goes backwards), Colossus (counts as 2, not 3 since I've ridden it backwards), etc, etc.

I also wish I counted relocated coasters, because I'd be much closer to 200 now.

But at the end of the day, does it REALLY matter? Sure I keep track, it's easy when your count is as low as mine.

My system of seeing if it is a credit is if it's in RCDB plus traveling coasters. I count racing coasters as one credit since it shares the same enterance, shares most of the queue, and most of the time shares the same structure. If the coaster is not part of commercial property, I don't count it as a coaster and I won't ride a coaster in somebody's backyard because of safety issues. I count relocated coasters as one credit, so I tell everyone I rode Stinger before the ride opened even though I never stepped foot in Dorney Park since I rode it in CGA.

^^ But it's not an entirely "new" coaster, it's an entirely "exact same coaster as it was since 1977", just the equipment is new. Again, it doesn't matter because there are no rules, but the Space Mountain example is one I would absolutely find as questionable. It's like I said, drop a new engine into your car and tell KBB your car is new. I look at it exactly the same way. When your average guest, who hadn't visited the park in 5 years, wouldn't be able to tell the difference, it doesn't count again. Had they added a loop, backwards section, or does something significant to the ride, I'd give it to you, but re-building the exact same ride? Sorry. I mean, Lake Compounce re-built Wildcat from the ground up in 1986 and no one even noticed! So if that doesn't count as two, why should Space Mountain?

Seriously, if the re-build of Space Mountain wasn't so heavily publicized, would people even know?

Sorry, just my random observation....

Edited by robbalvey

Overall I'm not terribly bothered about counting the coasters, much rather enjoy riding them as that's what they are there for, not for counting.

I do keep a general count though and a few slight changes from Robbs' thoughts above:

dual tracks: If the tracks are entirely separate, I would say count as separate (multiple). I know Steeplechase at Blackpool sounds bizarre but that's my take on it. I realise not everyone would agree but i'm not expecting them too.

Mobius Loop layouts eg: Grand National, I would say as one coaster as in effect it is one coaster.

Relocated coasters, I can understand Robbs' thoughts on this but too me, I would look at it from a no coaster enthusiasts point of view and if I rode a coaster at one place and say I have ridden it and then I visit a different park and ride that same coaster, most non enthusiasts would say I've been on one similar to this and would say they have ridden that one so in effect counting it twice. Just my thoughts.

Powered coasters, Everyone calls them powered coasters so why not count them. or just keep them separated. It's not a big deal honestly.

Anyway, I would say a persons coaster count is just an estimate. Everyone seems to get so uptight and argue about how to count coasters but if someone disagrees then fair enough, use your rules for your count and let someone else use their rules. Does it matter? Does it matter if someone has been on more coasters than you? no it doesn't. and anyway, if you have a lower count than others, at least you can say you have more coasters out there left to ride and enjoy for the first time!

Kind regards,

Neil

I know it sounds crazy, but like, a guy who has a keg in his basement, isn't an actual "bar", if you know what I mean. (I'd call him a really cool friend!)

Best analogy I've seen in a while.

Basically, I go by "if it's on RCDB, it's a credit, otherwise it is not." In addition, I use the following modifications for more debated rides. To help with clarity, I define a credit as the actual mechanical system and a ride/attraction as the credit(s) plus any additional theming/landscaping elements specific to the attraction.

Multi-Tracked Coasters: If each track can operate independently, each one is a separate credit. However, if they share common elements, they are one attraction. For example, a ride like Colossus would be one attraction, but two credits. If a coaster is a mobius loop, it is one credit.

Relocated Coasters: It counts as a different ride, but not a new credit.

Modified Coasters: In order to qualify as a new credit, the layout needs to change significantly or most of the track needs to be replaced. Repainting/renaming/retheming a ride, changing/reversing the trains, adding/changing restraints, and modifying operation do not make a ride a new credit. Depending on what was done, it may qualify as a different ride as well. Examples: New Texas Giant, Phantom's Revenge, and Space Mountain would all count as new credits. Boulder Dash, Goofy's Sky School, Intimidator 305, Space Mountain: Mission 2, Superman: Escape from Krypton, and X2 would not.

Traveling Coasters: If I can verify that it is a unique ride, I count it. If I'm not sure, I don't. If an attraction is replaced by an identical model, it counts as a new credit once I can verify the ride is actually different.

Powered Coasters: As long as the ride is listed on RCDB and is gravity-influenced, I count these as credits. Coaster-like powered rides that are not listed on RCDB do not count.

Flume Rides: If the ride has a significant coaster portion where it is locked to rails (such as Journey to Atlantis), I count it as a credit. Rides that have coaster elements that are not listed on RCDB (such as Splash Mountain) do not count.

Gravity-Based Rides: Dark rides that are powered by gravity do not count unless they are listed on RCDB (such as Blazing Fury). Drop rides do not count.

Waterslides: Even though they are commonly called water coasters, Rockets/Master Blasters definitely do not count.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter how you count them, and I'm sure everyone counts differently. When someone asks me my count, I'll tell them something like "around 200" instead of a specific number. I don't care about how many rides I've been on, and won't go out of my way just to increase my count. I only keep track for personal interest.