TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

The city is very serious about protecting those wetlands. The wetlands in question are also home to an unbelievable amount of turtles and fish (eat at Beast of the West and you'll see what I mean) I don't think there's any chance of this happening, especially when they have plenty of open space they can use to build a coaster. I also don't see it happening because they already have El Toro but that's a different story.

And building a tunnel under a nature lake is exponentially more complicated that draining a man-made lake and building a cement channel for the coaster.

All of the lakes near great adventure are man made by dams. Heck the prospertown lake was dry all of the 2012 season because the dam failed. That being said its highly unlikely that anything will be built over or under the lake. The log flume will most likely remain the only one because it was built before stricter regulations.

With this whole underwater tunnel thing i don't think they will do that. However there is a strip of land that connects to the other side of the lake where the park owns something like 100+ acres where they can build there. You can see this area during fright fest on tractor hay ride that brings you to that area. SO they could make a another midway down there where they have plenty of room to build.

With this whole underwater tunnel thing i don't think they will do that. However there is a strip of land that connects to the other side of the lake where the park owns something like 100+ acres where they can build there. You can see this area during fright fest on tractor hay ride that brings you to that area. SO they could make a another midway down there where they have plenty of room to build.

How do you know they have permission to build on that land? My understanding is that all the undeveloped land would require special permits. I don't think the government entities will let SFGAdv expand on the other side of either lake for environmental reasons.

^^ I went on SORA and at the end in the wooded area the guide said that they couldn't expand there because of state regulations. So maybe it won't be near the lake at all.

That makes a lot more sense. However, before the expand they are two areas to rebuild.

Numerous sources told me most of the land the park owns can't be developed because the city won't allow it. That's probably why most of the park's new attractions were built on site of past attractions. The city doesn't like the park removing too many trees for new rides. I don't really see why the park would build a coaster near the lake when they have the Chiller and Rolling Thunder spots to expand upon.

I can agree to your thoughts.. I would love to see something near chiller, or even a wooden coaster that rsn across the side of the parking lot near the water tower...

I could also see them building out by the old safari entrance, that way the drop tower wasn't such a trek for just one ride... It could be built up without the removal of trees....

^Not impossible... the terminal velocity of a skydiver is about 135 mph, but the terminal velocity of a baseball is only 74 mph. The gondola will have a fair amount of mass, but the car is by no means aerodynamic. That drag force accompanied by the friction of the wheels on the guide rail could result in the gondola reaching terminal velocity (for that object) at 90 mph. If that were the case, the only way to make it go faster would be to make it more aerodynamic.

Did make it to the park today, only my bro-in-law swapped out in place for my sister who couldn't come. No matter, bro-in-law was up for a day of riding. Parked by 10am and were through security and main gate insanely fast, skipped the rope drop w/ my pass and headed right over to El Toro for the 2nd train of the day. Got in two rides with no wait at all, then popped over S:UF before lines got too bad and it rode great. Love this coaster. Actually wound up getting STUCK on the break run, of all places. Probs with the dispatch in front of us. Only about 10 minutes, but of all the rides to be stuck on all day today? Ugh.

Headed toward Batman and line was almost out to the "garden" but I really wanted to ride as I hadn't the last few times we've been at the park. So we waited about 20 mins and it rode great. We didn't care where we sat, station was a shitshow so sat row 5 in center right side. Much less headbanging than I remembered and so incredible fast paced and downright intense. Great finish too. This is probably fantastic at night.

After we went for Nitro and saw the line almost out the front gate. Is it flash pass time? Looks like it. First off do you have to sit through that movie and all every time you get a FP? Are they for real with this? WTF. Whatever, after this the day got pretty great. So nice to not have to wait. Totally took the advice from here to reserve next ride right after we'd pass the FP attendant for a given ride. We bounced around a lot but got a good amount of riding in. Also lots of walking. I'll sleep good tonight.

Bro-in-law hadn't been to the park in years so we tried to get on nearly everything. He's always wanted to ride Kingda Ka but we didn't see it running all morning or afternoon. He was super bummed. Anytime he's been to the park since its been there he says it is closed. While in line for Green Lantern around 5:00 Im scrolling through to reserve our next ride and KK pops up on the FP - for 15 minutes from then! PERFECT. Then we see it running. Quick ride on GL then run right over and right on. So, he got to ride. Well we did. However, he got to ride twice. When we went to get off (the first time) his restrain wouldnt open. Mine did. I stood up to get off. I motioned to the op that his wouldnt open. She ignored me and walked away. I then realized they were letting Platinum FPers pick their seats and ride OP must have thought he was one and let him stay. I stepped back to not get closed in the air gates, some random dude sits down next to him, and she walks by and staples him in for 2nd ride!! I just laughed and waved "Enjoy, I'll wait for ya!" Total fluke 2nd ride he got. On his first ever ride. He loved it. I can give or take KK, its a very intense one trick pony to me. Give me Nitro or El Toro any day over KK. Was cool to ride it today tho. My first ride of the season. That launch is just nuts. I got some nice floater airtime on the camel hump, I have to say.

After this we bounced around until finally around 7pm we decided we were just tired and sick of weaving in and out of huge crowds as we hopped from one ride to the other. Overall it was a GREAT day with a ton of riding. Super hot and really crowded. Probably my last weekend day til after the summer.

nitro 2x

el toro 3x

kingda ka 1x

superman 2x

bizarro 1x

batman 1x

green lantern 1x

skull mountain 1x

log flume 1x

Also: Skull Mountain is totally underrated and so much fun. I laugh so hard every time I ride this ridiculous thing and today was no different. I think its just the pitch black darkness but it just makes it so insanely intense yet hilarious. Great ride to end the day with. I didnt bring my camera so no pics except one that my bro-in-law took of me with two of my favorite things: my FP and my leinenkugel summer shandy that was sooooo good it honestly tasted like lemonade.

Additional sidenotes: Bizarro crew was pretty fast today. Also the S:UF crew were hustling! Before we got stuck I was surprised to see them cranking out trains before the previous hit the break run, quite a few times. Then we got stuck lol.

sfgajun1sttom.jpg.c4e27d53e2f97a59c824a18d88087c56.jpg

.. ^They do make you watch the flash pass video every time. It's incredibly annoying every time and they only let about 10 people in every 5 minutes which makes it worse. I've seen it so many times between sfgradv and sfmm it's painful and pointless everything, the thing is so easy to use. Definitely worth it though.

As an employee at Flash Pass, I know that if you ask for the frequent user pass, you don't have to watch the video. It is basically a card that allows the user to skip the video every time, and after purchasing Flash Pass on 4 separate occasions, Flash Pass will give the user one free Flash Pass.

I'm glad you had fun. I agree with you on Skull Mountain... the ride isn't anything to write home about but it's a lot of fun.

I'll never understand why so many people claim that Batman is / was a headbanger. It's very possible that it's the smoothest ride I've ever ridden despite it's incredible intensity. I think the fact that it's a clone combined with the fact that the ride isn't very long cause people to overlook how good it is.

I'll never understand why so many people claim that Batman is / was a headbanger.

Id only ridden it twice before, and the most recent of those was last September, and I definitely got banged up that ride. Same with my buddy who rode it that day with me. We both hated it. Anyone who I've been back to the park with this year so far has also avoided it and agreed it was one of their least favorites in the park. BUT after constantly reading such high praise from you and a few others on here I was determined to do it again the last few times I was there but just didnt feel like it was worth the wait. I wanted to eat my words after I rode it yesterday, I really enjoyed it. Was definitely one of the days highlights.

Oh and El Toro ran INSANELY fast later in the day compared to our morning rides. Sat in same seat (second to last) on all three rides so we could not have been imagining it. Our last ride on it was around 4:30 and holy jesus it was hauling ass! I overheard quite a few people gushing over El Toro throughout the day, its such an amazing ride.

I'm glad it won you over. I always thought it was strange how people could have such different experiences on the same ride. There have been times where I've ridden a ride with my girlfriend (who's much shorter than me) and when we got off a ride that I really enjoyed she said it was rough and she hated it (the opposite happens too of course, usually on stand-up coasters which she likes and I hate).

I guess if you ever do experience a rough ride on Batman again just ride it in the front and this will eliminate the problem. I know we always ride Kingda Ka and Batman in the front and that might have something to do with the fact that we never experience the roughness other people talk about.

As far as El Toro it's strange but I don't think I've ever ridden it in the morning. Normally when I go to a park I ride Intamin Rides first as they break down frequently but because we go to the park so often we usually start the day on Batman and Nitro as they never have lines for the first few hours of the day. As far as El Toro I'm glad you enjoyed it... you absolutely picked the best seat on the train.

I guess if you ever do experience a rough ride on Batman again just ride it in the front and this will eliminate the problem. I know we always ride Kingda Ka and Batman in the front and that might have something to do with the fact that we never experience the roughness other people talk about.

Last summer I rode batman twice in the very back and twice in the front. The back was just as smooth as the front, ridiculously smooth, actually.