TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Wasn't able to get up there opening weekend . . . but I'll likely be up there April 14th (Saturday).

If early season crowds aren't too terrible . . . I'll likely not waste my $$$ on a Flash Pass (and unlike when I went up last year, I'll remember to do SORA)

Speak of the devil... praise the Intamin gods. It's alive for the first time in 4 days.

Well that's good planning on going either tomorrow or friday. BTW, what rides do they close in high winds? I know the obvious (ie anything with cables and Kingda Ka) but anything else? I dont want to drive 4 hours if half the park is closed.

It's bullsh*t windy right now and the only rides closed for wind are Skyway, Big Wheel, SkyScreamer, Parachute Tower, Joker (may or may not be wind, but it's probably wind), Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro. I would expect those same rides to be closed tomorrow, though if they find an opening they'll run them.

It's bullsh*t windy right now and the only rides closed for wind are Skyway, Big Wheel, SkyScreamer, Parachute Tower, Joker (may or may not be wind, but it's probably wind), Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro. I would expect those same rides to be closed tomorrow, though if they find an opening they'll run them.

Good to hear, I've been to Cedar Point on an insanely windy day last year and they literally shut the whole park down besides the Arrow coasters, Millennium, Maverick, and grounded flats.

Yeah Cedar Point is ridiculous.

The rides I mentioned are the only rides that Great Adventure won't attempt to open in insanely high winds. Nitro and El Toro could theoretically valley during morning testing (especially El Toro), but if they complete the circuit during testing they'll open and the temperatures are working in your favor tomorrow so I would be optimistic.

So you knew they don't allow any loose articles in the line and intentionally brought loose articles in the line, then are upset because they effectively enforced their rule?

No I wouldn't say I'm upset personally, because I got on the ride with my stuff.

Whatever, man. I'm one to comply with park rules even if I think they're ridiculous. It's their park, they get to do what they want. I went there, bought the floating fluffy bunny, then when I wrote up my trip report, reamed them for a dumb policy. I still followed it while I was there.

Well I'm not going to be shaken-down without a fight, which I won...

Seems rather arrogant to expect you can just choose not to follow their rules on their rides at their park, and they won't do anything about it. Don't like the rules? Go somewhere else. No one's forcing you to go to Great Adventure.

Arrogant? No... Arrogant would be that I think I am the only one who should be allowed to bring stuff in a zipped pocket. I think EVERYONE should as long as what they have doesn't pose a threat to themselves or anyone else.

So you knew they don't allow any loose articles in the line and intentionally brought loose articles in the line, then are upset because they effectively enforced their rule?

No I wouldn't say I'm upset personally, because I got on the ride with my stuff.

Whatever, man. I'm one to comply with park rules even if I think they're ridiculous. It's their park, they get to do what they want. I went there, bought the floating fluffy bunny, then when I wrote up my trip report, reamed them for a dumb policy. I still followed it while I was there.

Well I'm not going to be shaken-down without a fight, which I won...

Seems rather arrogant to expect you can just choose not to follow their rules on their rides at their park, and they won't do anything about it. Don't like the rules? Go somewhere else. No one's forcing you to go to Great Adventure.

Arrogant? No... Arrogant would be that I think I am the only one who should be allowed to bring stuff in a zipped pocket. I think EVERYONE should as long as what they have doesn't pose a threat to themselves or anyone else.

I agree, it’s a shakedown. Sounds like it would be easy to get away with when wearing layers. Ive have some lightweight gear with front zip pockets. I could put my stuff in those pockets then wear my bulkier winter jacket over it. But in the summer it may be tougher to get away with. Do they make you lift your shirt up? Because I was thinking I could pin my wallet and phone against my back and then once I pass the checkpoint(s) slip them into a zipped pocket in my pants or shorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent $3 on lockers at the park, well another dollar before figuring out it wasn't needed for most rides. Lines were short, but did ride Toro 10 times. I was wearing tight jeans with no real chance of losing anything, but since I did lose something from a velcro or or zipper pocket once on Toro or nearby (noticed later) I can see a real reason to accept it (and sort of like riding "naked"). Toro's big hills are perfectly designed to rain flying objects back on the riders, and Ka goes 128 MPH, making them 2 of the best candidates for the policy.

I spent $3 on fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo at the park, well another dollar before figuring out it wasn't needed for most rides. Lines were short, but did ride Toro 10 times. I was wearing tight jeans with no real chance of losing anything, but since I did lose something from a velcro or or zipper pocket once on Toro or nearby (noticed later) I can see a real reason to accept it (and sort of like riding "naked"). Toro's big hills are perfectly designed to rain flying objects back on the riders, and Ka goes 128 MPH, making them 2 of the best candidates for the policy.

They asked me before going on Joker Tuesday, I laughed and said no.

My wallet and phone were securely zippered in my pockets.

I routinely bought a locker for Joker even before it was mandatory. Some of the cycles on that thing are f*cking insane (like the one I got last weekend). I could absolutely see something getting thrown from any non zippered pockets.

Hi I has anybody who has gone yet this season notice how they are working the turnstiles with Season Passes and Memberships? Another poster on the Texas thread last fall mentioned seeing membership rows then season pass and regular tickets together. I was wondering if New Jersey is doing this? I really liked getting in that 10 minutes early in NJ. I will be going to SFNE this weekend and will check out there and post on that thread!

Thanks!

When I was there they had 3 different kinds of lines. 1 for single day tickets, one for season/membership passes that had not been processed, and another area for processed memberships. But they all opened at the same time so being in the membership line didn't get me in the park faster.

When I was there they had 3 different kinds of lines. 1 for single day tickets, one for season/membership passes that had not been processed, and another area for processed memberships. But they all opened at the same time so being in the membership line didn't get me in the park faster.

Thank you so much I am not going to worry about upgrading my gold pass to a gold membership!

Not gonna do a huge write-up or anything here. Just a brief note that my son and I made our first visits of the year to the park yesterday, and I don't think we could have picked a better day to do so. The weather was very blah and rainy in the early morning, to the point where it was pouring while we were on the Turnpike driving down, but by the time we got to the park it had abated and some sun was peeking out from behind the clouds. This thankfully kept a lot of the spring break crowds away for a good portion of the day, leaving us with a somewhat empty park with no major waits so to speak of.

Our first ride of the day was Joker immediately after passing by the gates. It was a walk-on, but as soon as we sat down and strapped in, the car immediately before us got stopped on the lift for a good six or seven minutes. Not sure what the problems were, but we toughed it out while others were leaving and were rewarded with a super flippy ride on the green side; four complete rotations and tons of hangtime from an epic half-spin. Good stuff. From there it was off to El Toro, and today they were posting a pocket-checker at the entrance of the ride. So off to part with my hard-earned dollar while I secured the miscellanous objects in my pocket in a locker for a couple of hours. It was pretty chilly out in the morning and the ops were blatantly telling people "If there's no one waiting in your row, you can re-ride. If there's an empty seat somewhere else, you can re-ride. Please re-ride?". Obviously not wanting to chance any valleys with the moderately cool weather, they only had the one train on the track and were sending it out as full as they could. So much so that they were actively fighting against having to walk-of-shame anyone; after two minutes of struggling with the restraint, the ops unlocked the train and asked one larger fellow to stand up, remove his jacket and his belt, and try again. When he fit and they fully locked the train, the entire station erupted in spontaneous hoots, hollers, and applause! On our side, we were more than happy to oblige their fill-up requests with our first ride of the day in the front row, then the next two all the way in the back car (row-hopping as necessary). God, I missed this coaster! I'm not going to crap all over other people's opinions even when they're very clearly wrong, but this is the highlight of the park and endlessly rerideable. It's impossible to not scream like an idiot when you're being ejected from your seat over and over again, or being whipped from side to side in the twisty section. Always a favorite and good times were had by all.

In addition to our blast of a trio of rides on Toro, we also covered a good chunk of the park including Zumanjaro, 3 laps on Runaway Mine Train, SkyScreamer, the Enchanted Tea Cups (looked like they got an upgrade to their lights?), Skull Mountain (with a walk-on for the second-to-last row), The Dark Knight (with no pre-show or train horn), Harley Quinn (which seems to only be doing a single go-around this year, unfortunately), and finally after a year of putting it off, Justice League (with our longest wait of the day at 25 minutes... but made up for it by catching Mew while waiting in line. Yeah, we're still Pokemon Go dorking it up).

Quite a bit of stuff was still closed, presumably for early season staffing issues. That included most of the food stands (we ended up getting some pizza from the stand near Toro, and pretzels on our way out at the Sky Bar), all of the upcharge attractions like Dare Devil Dive and SlingShot, some smaller rides including Air Jumbo, Houdini, Deja Vu, El Diablo, the Parachute Drop, the Log Flume (which is still missing its main drop... and yet, still seems safer than Verruckt), both sides of the Skyway, and their Swashbuckler round-up which was completely MIA. Cyborg CyberSpin is still under construction in a giant mud pit by Justice League. We ended up heading out around 5 PM as my pollen allergies were starting to kick in and the kiddo was starting to get a bit lethargic.

Overall, it was a really fantastic start to the season. Would it have been nice if more stuff was open? Sure. But for what it was, a lazy Spring Friday, we'd have been selfish to ask for any more.

I'm not going to crap all over other people's opinions even when they're very clearly wrong, but this is the highlight of the park and endlessly rerideable. It's impossible to not scream like an idiot when you're being ejected from your seat over and over again, or being whipped from side to side in the twisty section. Always a favorite and good times were had by all.

YAAAS!!

Also, you're a great story teller. Would read more reports.

I routinely bought a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for Joker even before it was mandatory. Some of the cycles on that thing are f*cking insane (like the one I got last weekend). I could absolutely see something getting thrown from any non zippered pockets.

Same here, My two rides on Joker during my first visit may have been some of the most insane ever.

How do the "bring a friend" days work? How many can I use? If I bring a friend for $17.99 one day this month, can I use a "bring a friend free" later this year?

The way the app makes it look is like I can bring a friend for $17.99 April 14-May 20, then I can bring a friend for $16.99 June4-22, then I can bring a friend for $9.99 July 16-26. Can I get discounted a ticket during each time period?

The park was absolutely SLAMMED today. Insane, worse than Fright Fest. Had a good time, just because I like being in the atmosphere, but if we're basing it off of what we got to do, worse day I've ever had at the park.

Got there around 12-12:30 and left at 7:15. Only got on The Dark Knight and Nitro, once each. Food lines were INSANE. We waited from 2:04 to 3:20 in Yum Yum, with every restaurant having lines overflowing outside of buildings or spilling into midways. Waited 25 minutes just to refill a cup, if we didn't have friends coming separately and they didn't leave, we would have told them to skip it and we would have left.

The only cool/weird thing of the night was getting sunburn and then around 6:30, it went from being like 85 degrees to 55 degrees in like 30 minutes, we left the park shivering.

According to queue-times Toro had waits of up to 70 minutes, Nitro 85, etc. Not all surprising considering the absolutely gorgeous weather. Apparently a decent amount of food spots were closed, which is a shame. But the amount of complaining in the GreatAdv FB groups about the dumbest sh*t ever yesterday is absurd ("I don't drink fountain water and they wouldn't let me fill up my souvenir cup with water at a counter after waiting 30 minutes!!!"). Did people really go thinking the place would be dead? LOL!

I had considered going yesterday but ultimately decided it was a bad idea being the first really nice Saturday of the season. Happy with my decision.