TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

May I point out that Canada's Wonderland only has one park to compete with (La Ronde).

I doubt La Ronde and CW have much impact on each other's attendance. They are over 300 miles away from each other and each has it's own metropolitan area to draw from.

May I point out that Canada's Wonderland only has one park to compete with (La Ronde).

I doubt La Ronde and CW have much impact on each other's attendance. They are over 300 miles away from each other and each has it's own metropolitan area to draw from.

And a language barrier as many French Canadians still are at odds with the English speakers. But don't worry I'm sure kingsdominionlvr will chime in shortly and tell us that we mis-interpreted him again.

As the Title Fairy has noticed, he does love to listen to himself.

I am surprised how low Cedar Point is, comparing to how many coasters it has, kinda shows that maybe adding a Giga to KD might not bring a higher attendance since CP isn't too high and they also have strata and 2 more coasters over 200 feet..

It shows that coasters are not the only thing that brings people to parks. Look at the top 20 in attendance minus a few and tell me what they all have in common? Theme, a great family atmosphere, rides, shows, etc.

KD has the coasters, but not much else to offer.

Its also destination and location. Obviously tourist hot beds are going to be at the top, but how many people are going to take a vacation to go to Sandusky, Ohio?

And a language barrier as many French Canadians still are at odds with the English speakers. But don't worry I'm sure kingsdominionlvr will chime in shortly and tell us that we mis-interpreted him again.

As the Title Fairy has noticed, he does love to listen to himself.

To be fair that makes his argument look better since it means CW and La Ronde don't compete...

That was a joke. If you don't know Chris Paul is a point guard for the New Orleans Hornets, his nickname is CP3.

You expect a bunch of obsessed KD fanboys to know who Chris Paul is? It's quite obvious in this thread alone that they don't get out enough.

Obviously tourist hot beds are going to be at the top, but how many people are going to take a vacation to go to Sandusky, Ohio?

Sandusky and the surrounding towns on the lake are loaded with recreation activities and attractions. It's also a convenient drive from Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc. It's a major tourist area which explains why CP still thrives as it does, but your sentiment is correct, there are a lot things that go into the attendance puzzle.

Sorry Everyone, excuse me for having a life away from TPR. Anyway, I pretty much hate basketball, and even I know who Chris Paul is. Back to KD Discussion, I was thinking about what some of you guys wrote. Canada's Wonderland has basically no competition, heck a B&M Hyper is their nation's tallest coaster. On the other hand, America has a much more competitive market, and probably the most competitive in the world. The giga may not instantly pay off in attendance, but I would call it fair to say they should be in the top 25 in 1-2 years and the top 20 in 4-5 years. Just some food for thought.

^^ If Doswell, Ashland, Richmond or any surrounding area within a 10-20 mile radius of KD ever gets anything to attract tourists, or KD actually puts more into the park than rides, they might have a shot. If that doesn't happen KD will have a very hard, and I mean VERY hard time getting into the top 25 attendance.

While KD's Giga and Carowinds B&M will boost there attendance some next year, it is not going to double or triple it.

I am done arguing the point because in your mind KD is the greatest there ever is so nothing we say will change that.

Let me ask you this. How are Kings Island and Canada's Wonderland in the top 20? While I have never been to Canada's Wonderland, I have heard the same claim of "all rides, no shows" and have personally witnessed it at Kings Island. How do they make it in to the top 20? Kings Dominion pulls from DC, Northern Virginia, and Richmond, so you cannot argue area. In my opinion, the answer is, no reason. Especially because Richmond and Northern Virginia have not seen as dramatic job loss and drop and house value as the rest of the country. There is absolutely no reason they cannot crack the top 25. And adding a giga, a floorless, and much more certainly cannot hurt. With all this talk about theming, the giga could just be the start, there could be a whole nother' section of the park in store. I see no reason that in 1-3 years Kings Dominion could not crack the top 25. With that being said, I am going to take a bit of an hiatus from the site because I am going up to New Jersey to visit family and maybe hit Six Flags Great Adventure. Talk to you guys later.

SERIOUSLY kingsdominionlvr, there attendance is NOT going to raise 200% in the next couple of years. I do NOT understand why you keep arguing this point. I don't post often in this thread. But i am an avid reader

And you are just getting annoying now and NOT proving a point.

SO! We will all agree that Kings Dominions Attendance will NOT triple for at least 10 years.

The End.

Aktually its fersher and reeeely clear that with the addition of a giga and a floorless and more stuff that more people are gonna come and they're gonna make top 5 attendance for people numbers in the park and stuff. Becuz that's just how it works, OKAYS?

Just because the basketball team gets new jerseys doesn't mean that everyone in school is going to go watch. It takes a full season and a winning record to get the whole school cheering at the district game. The same concept goes for a theme park but on a much larger scale, and it takes a lot longer than one season.

KD would probably get in the top 20 either in the second or third season after the Giga Coaster opens and only if KD maintains the ride really well. The only other way is putting out amazing rides back-to-back-to-back and after this investment, I don't think that they'll have the money. I believe that CWonderland had done that from 1998 (Cliffhanger) to 2005 (Italian Job) and that's how they got higher in the standings.

^^^ Actually it may be only twice a year but Richmond does have the raceway which is a huge tourist attraction.

Having a race twice a year does not make an entire market a tourist hot bed.

Plus, it's the race that's the attraction on those weekends--not the park.

I think we need to give this whole "giga does/does not equal KD in the top 20" discussion a rest, folks. It's just dissolving into pointless bickering because no one can really prove anything. Opinions have been aired, so let's just leave it at that.

^^^ Actually it may be only twice a year but Richmond does have the raceway which is a huge tourist attraction.

Having a race twice a year does not make an entire market a tourist hot bed.

Plus, it's the race that's the attraction on those weekends--not the park.

I think we need to give this whole "giga does/does not equal KD in the top 20" discussion a rest, folks. It's just dissolving into pointless bickering because no one can really prove anything. Opinions have been aired, so let's just leave it at that.

Well put. The end

EDIT: The reason for requoting the whole post is i'm on my mobile(or cell as you call it) and it wouldn't let me

Race weekends wouldn't attract people to the park, though. People traveling to the RIR race weekends looks something like this:

- Arrive Thursday/Friday - set up camp near track - grill/drink/hoot and holler all day and night. Go to qualifying and first race Friday starting early evening.

- Saturday - grill and drink all afternoon in preparation for the race that night. Attend race that evening.

- Sunday - leave or if it rained Friday/Saturday attend the re-scheduled race then leave.

The track is 30/40 minutes from the park without traffic. If you throw in the race weekend traffic to and from the track its much longer. In my experiences the majority of the people who travel to race weekends will normally just plan on the races.

Race weekends wouldn't attract people to the park, though. People traveling to the RIR race weekends looks something like this:

- Arrive Thursday/Friday - set up camp near track - grill/drink/hoot and holler all day and night. Go to qualifying and first race Friday starting early evening.

- Saturday - grill and drink all afternoon in preparation for the race that night. Attend race that evening.

- Sunday - leave or if it rained Friday/Saturday attend the re-scheduled race then leave.

The track is 30/40 minutes from the park without traffic. If you throw in the race weekend traffic to and from the track its much longer. In my experiences the majority of the people who travel to race weekends will normally just plan on the races.

Speak for yourself. People could easily make a long weekend out of it. I went to a Nationwide race in summer of 2008 at Kentucky Speedway and stayed a couple extra days to go to Kings Island. Same concept/idea.

^ Aren't you a coaster enthusiast though? I doubt most race fans are coaster nerds.

I went with a good 5 other people who aren't the slightest bit coaster enthusiasts. It's just somewhere to go to spend time with family and friends. I'm sure if a family is going to the race, they are going to look for other things to do in the area. Coaster enthusiasts or not, practically everyone likes amusement parks.