TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Who would have thought. King's Dominion getting a Giga. I want to see this thing, The new track looks horrible and really seperates itself from the old Intamin track...which I love. Thank You CF for building a Giga on the east coast but all records will tremble in 2011 when Jersey Devil at SfGadv Drops!

Sorry but that isn't gonna be happening at SFGRADV anytime soon what with the bankruptcy & all.

Looks like I'll definitely be getting a 2010 pass & be at the park next season.

But didnt dominator and that loop fill that quota lol...

If it had, I would've patted myself on the back in the Dominator thread.

Ok ok...you're right. But Americana...that shi....uhh...crap is kinda BIG.

Im impressed your predictions span over a several year time period!

Tell me what you see about my love life and finances lol...

Pllllleeeeeaaaaasssse no stupid gimmicks like "worlds tallest 97.5 degree drop." Just make it a big crazy fun ride. Expedition GeForce but bigger. Airtime. Overbanks. Wacky directional changes. An out of control terrain-hugging finish would be nice. And a tunnel. So we can take it.

All I can say is I've dreamed of this day!!! lol I am so excited about this. I had posted earlier when the first track arrived that I hoped this was a giga and I glad my little hunch was correct.

Someone earlier stated that they hope the drop is similar to MF, I agree. I want it to be like Millennium Force's drop. If its 95 degrees then that would mean the horrible Intamin OTSR so I'll op for a lap bar and 80 degree drop!

KD had to build a noteworthy ride somehow which is why this move makes since. with BG having 200 coasters and SFA having 1 and not to mention the several other parks on the east coaster, SFNE, SDGADV, SFOG, KD had to do something noteworthy. Although not as tall as KK, KK is all but 15 second long. If this is a full circuit, non launched coaster, this will be the largest on the east coast. I just hope KD has atleast 3 trains hopefully 4 for capacity sake, and lap bars on this ride

Taken from here:

Here's the rest of the highlights:

- There will definitely NOT be any B&M flyer at CP, ever.

- A dive machine is not out of the question.

- One of the gentlemen in charge of future ride installations or whatever, has been pushing for a darkride for years now.

- The earring rule on Maverick is implemented by Intamin, not CP.

- This is speculation on my part, but I'd look for KD to receive something big in the next few years.

- Demon Drop is still for sale.

- When discussing theming, Kinzel made the comment that if given the choice, he'd always rather spend an extra million on more track than theming.

- And on a lighter note, someone asked if they had ridden Kingda Ka? I can't remember who answered, but they said they were there to ride ET, and after pausing for comedic effect, said that KK was down.

- Finally, it was mentioned that it's a possibility that Clair Hain of GCI *may* eventually try to improve Mean Streak. We can only hope!

Perhaps a bit early as of now (without any official announcement, or confirmation), but I'll go ahead and give myself a small pat on the back.

At the beginning of this thread I said I could see them getting an Intamin over a B&M in 2010! So we can pat each other on the back!

Yeah, the box and triangular track was damn sexy, but if this track design makes it better, then I'm all for it.

So long as it is very forceful with a ton of airtime, I'll be happy. What I'd really love to see is for them to combine MF with SROS. Amazing first drop and speed, but packed with tons of ejector airhills and bone crushing helices.

Wow. This one is just so left field. Well, in a weird way it makes sense, since KI just got a big daddy icon coaster, KD, the sister park would need one, although it seems awfully soon to upstage Dominator. Even so, great news and looking forward to the construction. Happy for the KD folks.

Could be pretty cool! I wasn't really intending on getting a platnum pass, but since both Carowinds and Kings Dominion appear to be adding something significant, it might be worth the cash to do so. Add a visit to another CF park and a few re-visits to KD or Carowinds, and I may feel happy with the purchase.

-Gary T.

Unbelievable! You gotta love the variety CF has been putting out with the GCI's in the midwest the last 2 years, the 2 massive beemers in Ohio and Canada, and now this Intamin Giga and who knows at Carowinds! The east coast is going to be hopping next year, go KD!

It's nice to see Intamin coming up with a real innovation. It sounds like this new track design could change a lot of what we see built over the next few years.

I hope that this coaster is "MF with airtime", but I'm skeptical of this at this point. Mostly I'm just irritated because I've now been given a compelling reason to go back to one of my least favorite parks.

300 ft. coaster = Better Than Disney!!!

It will be interesting to see if the "giga" moniker really refers to something over 300ft tall, as I believe the term was used aggressively by CP's marketing team but really doesn't mean much of anything. Sounds like there will be a lot of disappointed folks if it isn't a 300 footer which is a shame considering we all know what sort of awesome fun Intamin can provide with a coaster a third that size. The double-spine track sure does seem to indicate a whole lotta g-forces goin' on though, huh.

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=22&Itemid=32

Top right of Intamin's own coaster page, "Giga Coaster - This newly developed coaster belongs to the family of ultra high coasters, with a "first-drop" of 92 m resulting in speeds of 150 km/h."

92 m = 300+ft. So it isn't just a buzzword CP and their marketing people invented for MF that doesn't mean anything to Intamin.