TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The track colors remind me a lot of Diamondback's, which I wouldn't complain.

Regardless of how RMC Hurler turns out, I still wonder if the park is still going to shut the ride down in the evenings during Halloween Haunt like they used to, due to the Club Blood/Blackout house being in the middle of the ride's layout.

screencap1.thumb.JPG.193da88ca9477e1f849d30b564936ee5.JPG

screencap2.thumb.JPG.0fe63c3b27d4481b52397055a60c594b.JPG

screencap3.thumb.JPG.1bd5821ee2c5ce678f02583f67f022a5.JPG

In a shocking move late Friday night, the Ohio-based parent company of Hanover's

Kings Dominion announced that the park will shut down permanently after Labor Day

this year.

The announcement comes just months after Kings Dominion held a press conference,

during which the park promised that there was "really more coming" in addition to

this year's expansion in the Planet Snoopy children's area.

In the aftermath of the decision, parkgoers and enthusiasts were outraged. One

person commented on popular amusement park discussion board Theme Park

Review, "I feared the rumors were true. The lack of a Vekoma Junior Invert [type of

roller coaster] absolutely KILLED attendance! Still, I can't believe that Cedar Fair would

do this to us!"

Cedar Fair's Senior VP of Marketing Tom Christianson wasn't surprised, however. In a

statement, he explained that "while [he] acknowledges the fun that Kings Dominion

provided to families in Central Virginia for decades, the simple truth ... is that low

revenue from sliding attendance can't justify the maintenance costs of a ride lineup

including fan favorites such as Hurler, Anaconda, and Crypt, for which there would be

more demand elsewhere."

Christianson attempted to reassure fans by announcing that a few less popular rides,

including Intimidator 305 and the Volcano roller coaster, would be relocated to

Pennsylvania's Dorney Park for the 2018 season.

Cedar Fair did not respond to the Times-Dispatch's request for comment on the

future of the land currently occupied by the park.

Some fans took to the streets to mourn the loss of the park. On Facebook, enthusiasts

"live-streamed" an apparent protest attended by about ten people at the state Capitol

early Saturday morning. "I always knew Paramount was better," one sign proclaimed.

At rival Busch Gardens Williamsburg, however, the mood was decidedly different

Friday evening. Grainy videos posted to social media accounts belonging to some of

the park's employees appeared to show senior staff celebrating raucously with

champagne, while others unfurled a handmade banner over the park's entrance

reading "Virginia's Only Theme Park", with the word "Best" crossed out in red ink

below.

For those looking to ride Kings Dominion's roller coasters one last time, tickets are available at www.kingsdominion.com/really-more-coming-dorney-2018

For everyone else, April Fools'! You're welcome to share this with a friend for a good laugh.

^that RMC was a done deal before the boycott even happened. these things don't just get brainstormed, surveyed, and designed overnight.

Still though, it makes the whining about 2017 that much more pathetic.

Great thing about this RMC is that it will satisfy us all for the next few years.

^^-- another significant item is the FENCE around the turn has also been completely removed. Must need more room (if they dig up the footers then they maybe needed room to do that, but so far a hole in the fence would have done it). I didn't notice in the picture and it took me a few in person. Didn't see any other changes.

In this case, the footers are the larger half of the supports. The wood didn't look like much.

In other news (and no this is NOT an April Fools' Joke) the entire first turn of Hurler has been removed.

The aerial shots posted two pages back told us this.

Nah the track was removed back then but not the entire structure.

Bruh

Okay maybe I was wrong but I could have sworn a week ago the supports were still there.

You gotta be fast to keep up! Actually the drone shot looks to me to still have the fence, the later shot does not, so they took down the supports first and the fence removal was their progress later this last week.

Having ridden 7/7 of the IBox conversions, I can tell you that even if RMC Hurler maxes out ~100' (like Storm Chaser, Joker, Medusa) it can still be incredible! Medusa is the most intense steel RMC and doesn't have the most impressive surface stats.

Regardless, having I305 + any RMC basically creates one of the best 1-2 coaster punches in the US!

And that's before you realize that the park also has Volcano and Dominator.

Kings Dominion basically has everything you could ask for in a park. Even their worst coaster (Anaconda) is still pretty thrilling.

Alright the offseason ended for this park why is there an argument over a junior invert

Hey, better than last year when the schadenfreude over Planet Snoopy was palpable.

You get extra cool points for the use of "schadenfreude." I freaking love that word and the concept

Anywhoo.....I'm really looking forward to see what they do with the Hurler layout. I never experienced either of them when they were "good" and never understood the wisdom of a large drop into a turn on a woodie.

I am just curious to see how much height RMC is gonna add to this if any? I have yet to ride Storm Chaser, but I have heard nothing but good things. As a matter of fact, I have yet to ride an RMC period. I am a bit behind I know. Even though Hurlers layout was a bit lack luster, I think RMC can work some magic with it. I can definitely see some inversions in this!