TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Ignore my previous question, I got in fine after I got my season pass processed. I was this close to going for the all-season Fast Lane when I ordered online last night, but chose to go Platinum instead for future trip plans.

Glad to hear there wasn't anything big at the presentation, I skipped it.

No mention that there was no mention of anything groundbreaking at the pass holder presentation? Not even a tease? Fool me twice, shame on me

1. This was merely a passholder event. The "tragedy" of August 20 was an actual announcement.

2. I really like the new Planet Snoopy additions, Battle for KD, and the new Coke station. The updated dining sounds intriguing too. In other words 2017 isn't a complete loss.

3. The fact that RMC Hurler is starting this early could mean that this is a pretty large project.

Of course, we could always get Knotts' Boomerang.

I think I'd rather get a giant plot of land than that.

Are you sure? Someone said it's not because it's too narrow. I could be wrong though.

Yes; Kings Dominion Connoisseurs FB page is also uploading photos of more I-Box track spotted on trailers today on I-95. It appears that the Iron Hurler track is similar in color to the Iron Mean Streak track. (I would upload a picture of the tractor-trailer, but I don't have the copyright . When I have the Instagram link, I'll upload it here.)

I sort of feel like this is going to be kind of a small / budget RMC like Storm Chaser. It's really just a gut feeling, I'm not speaking with any authority but I don't expect crazy height increases or anything like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case it'll still be a completely balls out insane ride and the thought of pairing that with I305, Volcano, Dominator and Flight of Fear is pretty incredible.

I sort of feel like this is going to be kind of a small / budget RMC like Storm Chaser. It's really just a gut feeling,

I was feeling the same way. Right now Hurler is only 83' tall, but the lift angle is pretty shallow ~25 degrees. If the steepen this they can get some extra height and get in the 100' Storm chaser range. Get up to 112' we are at Wicked Cyclone, and 125' at TC.

Doing some math on the conservative side I think the max height is in the 150' range. Current lift is 30 degrees steep and maxes out at 83'. If I understand trig correctly and they increase the lift angle to 45 degrees, we are looking at something that could be ~150 feet+ tall which is the height of NTAG. With that height, and an emphasis on crazy standard airtime hills, I think everyone would be hyped up.

Right now I'm gonna assume it will only hit 100' and be excited to see new updates that prove me otherwise.

I sort of feel like this is going to be kind of a small / budget RMC like Storm Chaser. It's really just a gut feeling, I'm not speaking with any authority but I don't expect crazy height increases or anything like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case it'll still be a completely balls out insane ride and the thought of pairing that with I305, Volcano, Dominator and Flight of Fear is pretty insane.

Realistically, we would be very lucky to have a height increase of more than 20 feet on the first drop, which is what I'd assume would be necessary for the likely rollover drop/inverted drop, consistent with the required rebuild at the bottom of the first drop, so this will be one of or the smallest of the RMCs. Even still, the ride should be immensely fun (or so I've heard - I haven't been on a single RMC yet ). More importantly, the ride will most likely make a great regional lineup into a world-class one. With some retheming and a rebuilt pavilion, Iron Hurler could easily fill an important hole in KD's lineup -and- balance lines across the park, which should reduce wait times long-term for the Big Three in Safari Village (I305, FoF, Volcano). The only wish I have now is that KD doesn't install pay-to-rent secure storage (or "fluffy bunnies", I still don't know why that's autocorrected ) like the rest of CF's new coasters have and stays with the current dry-side article bin policy.

#thedroughtisover

While we're on the topic of how tall Iron Hurler might be...

As @Keetz discussed above, Hurler has a very, very shallow lift hill. If the first turn were also redone, the lift hill could be made steeper to match similar angles of many other chain hills - with a noticeable impact and without significant increase in the lift hypotenuse. Here are some quick calculations I made...

RMC Hurler Possible Height Details

Length of Lift: ~169 feet

Previous Height of Lift: 83 feet

Previous Lift Hypotenuse: ~188 feet

Previous Lift Hill Angle: ~26.2⁰

Testing a few scenarios for lift hill height…

If lifted to 30⁰…

New Lift Height: ~98 feet (+15 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~195 feet (+7 feet over original)

If lifted to 35⁰…

New Lift Height: ~118 feet (+35 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~206 feet (+18 feet over original)

If lifted to 40⁰…

New Lift Height: ~141 feet (+58 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~220 feet (+38 feet over original)

If lifted to 45⁰…

New Lift Height: ~169 feet (+86 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~239 feet (+51 feet over original)

If lifted to 50⁰…

New Lift Height: ~201 feet (+118 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~263 feet (+75 feet over original)

If lifted to 55⁰…

New Lift Height: ~241 feet (+158 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~295 feet (+126 feet over original)

If lifted to 60⁰…

New Lift Height: ~293 feet (+210 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~338 feet (+169 feet over original)

If lifted to 65⁰…

New Lift Height: ~362 feet (+279 feet over original)

New Lift Hypotenuse: ~400 feet (+231 feet over original)

Obviously, the last three are almost certainly out of the picture - but increasing the angle of the chain lift to just 50⁰ and redesigning the first turn to account for the newfound speed would make this a hypercoaster - something that would make Iron Hurler truly incredible. Don't count Iron Hurler out just yet, either - Cedar Point's "unofficial" source of "leaked" Iron Mean Streak photos illustrates that RMC might increase the lift angle significantly, which would have a huge height impact on a coaster with a ground-level lift length of almost a whopping 170 feet like Hurler. Also, keep in mind that they're starting very, very early on this project (much earlier than I305, arguably the largest project to date), which would befit a major revamp entailing a large height increase. Ride on!

I said RMC Hurler weeks ago, when most people seemed to think I was being a fanboy or simply exercising wishful thinking, and I've stuck with it all along. We'll all know soon enough!

Turns out they were correct

Now it turns out DILinator was correct.

In hindsight it's hilarious (and a sigh of relief) to look back at the hoopla from August and how mad we were that RMC Hurler wasn't announced.

RMC Hurler Possible Height Details

I'm cracking up because I did some of those same calculations in excel but I didn't wanna seem too nerdy. I 100% appreciate that you went all in on the math to see the full range of possibilities, and to know that my math was in the right range. Good work!

I said RMC Hurler weeks ago, when most people seemed to think I was being a fanboy or simply exercising wishful thinking, and I've stuck with it all along. We'll all know soon enough!

Turns out they were correct

Now it turns out DILinator was correct.

Never bet against The DILinator!

(Now, if only that B&M Flyer I've been predicting would come to CP since the mid 2000's would show up, I'd REALLY look smart! )

All those people thinking RMC Hurler could be 150+ tall, while I'm no physics/engineering expert, it might make more sense in that case to take a wrecking ball to the entire track and build from the ground up. So I agree with Bill in the Storm Chaser comparisons. And it's yet another reason I need to make use of the timeshare across from BGW and make a trip out of that and KD.

All those people thinking RMC Hurler could be 150+ tall, while I'm no physics/engineering expert, it might make more sense in that case to take a wrecking ball to the entire track and build from the ground up. So I agree with Bill in the Storm Chaser comparisons. And it's yet another reason I need to make use of the timeshare across from BGW and make a trip out of that and KD.

Or it could be that the existing "lift" will be used as an airtime hill.

We still don't know the relative layout.

Cedar Fair could have a completely different approach to design than Six Flags did. They may just be trying to make these coasters all they were intended to be, with less maintenance. RMC would benefit from an example of Iron Horse being used for a less extravagant, costly process. As to Hurler specifically, exactly it's not going to be something where it would be better just to start over. At the least, it will remain a coaster that tends to stay closer to the ground to maintain speed, it will not become all about height. The one tall, complex portion of the coaster will not somehow be rebuilt a lot taller, it would be easier to leave that unchanged and tear down all the low parts, unless the extra height is steel going all the way down to the ground. Maybe some spots will come down lower to the ground, the cut-out section at the bottom of the drop could be that (although if I didn't know better I'd say they're putting in a loop).

As to the timing, neither of the coasters in progress have contributed significantly to their parks for years. I thought RMC said they were getting away from conversions a couple years ago, at least for a while. I haven't heard of them doing anything else right now, maybe they have something planned already next winter, or they just know they can do it now. And it is 2 coasters and Mean Streak is huge.

I sort of feel like this is going to be kind of a small / budget RMC like Storm Chaser. It's really just a gut feeling, I'm not speaking with any authority but I don't expect crazy height increases or anything like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case it'll still be a completely balls out insane ride and the thought of pairing that with I305, Volcano, Dominator and Flight of Fear is pretty incredible.

Same thoughts here. As long as it's better than The Joker, I'll be happy.

Yeah I definitely sense a Medusa/Storm Chaser sized Iron Horse. That first drop is ripe for an inversion like the aforementioned. I do feel they'll add some lumber to the structure thouugh. That first right hand turn I could see being an overbank or some type of tophat. Then an airtime hill ala SC's second hill. Even the most basic iron horse conversion will be in the top 3 rides at KD.

Same thoughts here. As long as it's better than The Joker, I'll be happy.

This is the Kings Dominion thread, you either match I305's intensity or go home.

Yeah I definitely sense a Medusa/Storm Chaser sized Iron Horse. That first drop is ripe for an inversion like the aforementioned.
I had forgotten about Medusa (shame on me). Since RMC has done the rollover drop a couple of times, I think it's fair to call that something they do and to speculate that they will do it in other reasonable instances the way that we speculate about wave turns and zero-G stalls. So I do think the lift will go into a curve and then a rollover drop. An interesting take on the Medusa/Storm Chaser drop, though, would be for the turn to bank to the outside and then continue rolling that direction for the drop. I think that would give some interesting forces.