TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The GCI Mystery Project

Couple of guesses.... first, the one that makes the most sense to me. SDC.

2nd, the one I would hope for.... BGW.

3rd, the wild hair up my... well, you know.... Disneyland Shanghai!

As a note, there's a clue in the terrain. There is a half circle cut out of the mountainside right about where the station would be going. I don't know why, but it makes me think that they're replacing an old ride with this one. If that half circle already exists then it should be an easy matter to find out which parks have such a half circle and then eliminate them one by one until you find a perfect match.

However, I'm not coming up with a matching park. Anyone got any ideas?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^My guess is The Raven put CCI on the map, made every park and their mother want CCIs, CCI went bankrupt because they took on too many projects on the cheap and couldn't afford to keep open, and GCI was formed with one of the former CCI workers. That's my guess.

Unless my woodie history is a bit off, which is a possibility.

Not quite...if you replace all the GCI's in your post with TGG's, then you would be correct.

GCI existed about half a decade before CCI filed for bankruptcy.

Skycoastin' Steve IS right that GCI was formed with one of the former CCI workers - Mike Boodley. I'm not sure if his two thoughts were actually connected, but I read them as two separate sentences:

1. CCI went bankrupt because they took on too many projects on the cheap and couldn't afford to keep open.

2. GCI was formed with one of the former CCI workers.

He's right on both accounts.

--Robb

^ Really? Having been to almost all of the major China parks I can't think of any of them that aren't almost totally flat.

Well looking at the pics of some china parks and the possibilities of future ones that have hilly terrain. Overall, the place is quite hilly...

I'd like to know what pictures you are looking at? What parks?

Here's my guess.

It's going to Silver Dollar City. They will take the trains, lift motor, PLC and anything else salvageable from Ozark Wildcat and use them on this new ride and OzCat will be no more. While I would be sad to see that ride go away, it would make financial sense to take the costly equipment from one ride, and re-build another because I doubt it would be possible to "move" OzCat to SDC anyway. This solution gets Silver Dollar City a woodie (which has been rumored for some time) and it does it in a very cost efficient way.

I also think this ride will be going where the water play area and Wilderness Waterboggan (I think that's what it was called at SDC) used to be.

I haven't looked at the topography of that section of the park, so I could be totally wrong, I'm just going off of memory from the last time I was at the park which was the year that Powder Keg opened.

And yes, it will be better than Prowler!

--Robb

Added ideally to your claim Robb if your being completely serious here, the Chinese hint could just mean a Chinese theme or call it something like how Laser snake horse on fire started. I will dub it "Backwoods Prowling red neck wooden samurai beer run adventure coaster cart ride!"

If it is a Chinese park I'd put money on it NOT being for Ocean Park, Although they are expanding they are getting a Mack Powered ride next year and strongly rumored B&M after that. (admittedly it is only a rumor but I believe it popped up in the ECC magazine which is usually pretty accurate).

The New World Joyland Park in Guangzhou seems to be built at least partially on a hill but they have seemingly announced their coasters already (B&M and Maurer) and there's no woodie in the concept art.

http://www.jiaziworld.com/html/JoyLand_About.html

So My bet is... I have NO idea.... wow what a rubbish climax to a post.

If it is a Chinese park I'd put money on it NOT being for Ocean Park,....

I'd agree with that, as they're still working on the tunnel project under the mountain, to create another passage to the rear of the park. Major, major expenditure.

I just say - wait and find out, or until the clues give it away.

As it stands now - I think that the "clues" have been awesome! They create speculation, and truly give away nothing!!

I love it!

JJ

I was just thinking it could be the valley at the back of Alton. But I really cannot see them investing in something like this (however great it may seem) now that they ahve just built Thirteen at one end of the valley and have Air at the other end. Wouldn't the Dark Forest seem a bit crowded?

I was thinking Alton Towers too as it's LONG since been rumored to want to build a terrain coaster... would kinda fit...

I haven't been following this whole Facebook thing, but has GCI actually said this is an ACTUAL Project, approved and going somewhere? Don't companies always have random drawings and models of coasters they want to build or even as proposals that never end up going anywhere. Could be a nice project for their interns!

Plus couldn't they just be throwing that terrain in to mess with everyone! I remember taking a Maps and Graphs course in college where you could do pretty great things with GIS type systems and mapping programs, they could have done a 'add topography' type mod and are just messing with all of you!

When I saw the terrian my immediate though was Dollywood, then my sanity caught up. Having Thunderhead already would they acually put another one in? My guess would be not. I belive that it is a concept and not an actual coaster going everywhere. However, my wish would be Holiday World or Dollywood.

I will say that after looking at the mountain they put it on, it really does look like the mountain across from the front of Knoebel's where the Skyway is, but I know better. Even though they have been working with GCI with Flying Turns trains (IIRC) and that mountain is perfect for that ride, it's too much money for them to have tied up with FT and Black Diamond.

^ Really? Having been to almost all of the major China parks I can't think of any of them that aren't almost totally flat.

Well looking at the pics of some china parks and the possibilities of future ones that have hilly terrain. Overall, the place is quite hilly...

I'd like to know what pictures you are looking at? What parks?

Im not saying any current parks, Im saying about parks that have yet to be announced, somewhere in the Beijing area if I remember correctly from the Olympics, that was quite hilly in some places. This could be concept art for a future park...

^ While it could be true I find it a bit odd that they would put out concept art of a coaster before the park has been announced yet. Maybe they're going all Fahrenheit on us, just rotate the picture 90 degrees, reverse it, make it a negative, and turn your head 27.5 degrees to the left and you'll see half of the 3 letter in the rides name!

^ While it could be true I find it a bit odd that they would put out concept art of a coaster before the park has been announced yet. Maybe they're going all Fahrenheit on us, just rotate the picture 90 degrees, reverse it, make it a negative, and turn your head 27.5 degrees to the left and you'll see half of the 3 letter in the rides name!

Or maybe they'll continually add little pieces to it until the formal announcement, during which time they'll finish it? That'd be my best guess.