TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^And as I said, it doesn't matter, because underneath that thin strip of metal is a piece of wood. The rails are wooden. The rails on topper track are not pieces of wood covered in thin strips of steel. They are completely steel (and concrete). The point isn't what the wheels are literally touching, it's what is holding the train in the air. Normal wood coaster track= big piece of wood, topper track= big piece of steel.

Well the actual first proper wood coasters - side friction coasters - ran on 100% steel rails. See this picture of the Scenic Railway in Melbourne (Australia), which was built in 1912..

By your standards then, every non-side-friction wooden coaster isn't traditional and should not have been built

Joking aside - this argument is getting a little ridiculous. You don't want to call it a wood coaster? Fine, then don't .. but it seems like you're not going to let anyone change your mind (which is fine), and you're not going to change anyone's mind (also fine). Going round and round in circles over it is a bit silly and subtracts from the big picture: RMC and SFGAm are doing something totally mental and insane and that's awesome. It could be built from ground up kittens and baby seals, and it would still be awesome!

Hey now, I like what RMC is doing, I was one of the more vocal proponents of this coaster once the layout was released, I still am (minor quibble with the supporting structure aside). A great coaster is a great coaster. I'm just not sure I see the point of classifying it as a wooden coaster, from an enthusiast perspective. That's all this conversation is about. But I've said what I think so this'll be the last I mention it. Probably.

Speaking of the layout, they've clearly done their best to stuff an extremely tall coaster into a very limited space. Does this remind anyone else of the circumstances that brought us Skyrush? That kind of problem requires tight turns taken at a very high speed, I'm thinking we might be looking at another coaster that pushes the boundaries of intensity.

Can I just throw out there that if they had painted the track steel the same as Outlaw Run, people probably wouldn't be making a big fuss about this...

(Also, SoB had a steel structure for its inversion, so steel for the 0-G stall isn't that crazy...and do steel supports for the lift hill even matter to the ride?)

Can I just throw out there that if they had painted the track steel the same as Outlaw Run, people probably wouldn't be making a big fuss about this...

(Also, SoB had a steel structure for its inversion, so steel for the 0-G stall isn't that crazy...and do steel supports for the lift hill even matter to the ride?)

I agree! There was a little debate here and there, but nothing to this degree. I've gotten to where I'm not even reading all of the posts these last few days. Silly, silly, more silly, and then something stuck in about how awesome this Coaster will be and how excited we are to ride it. I stick to reading the latter.

I'm very impressed by the marketing of this ride. Present the ride like a completely regular wooden coaster with some crazy elements, and then the whole worlds enthusiasts jaws dropped.

Then they release this half a year later, and the worlds enthusiasts jaws dropped again. Very clever IMO.

I've said this before a long time ago about the inversion debate, and if things like an inclined loop or whatever it is that Chang and Mantis have that isn't exactly upside down are inversions or not. There is also the debate that if a turn is overbanked, is that an inversion? What about drops that are more than 90 degrees?

The only definitive source to tell us how many inversions a ride has is the park. Does Mantis have three or four? Park says four, who is some enthusiast to say differently?

If the park says that Goliath is a brand new hybrid coaster and there are none like it in the world, then that is what it is. In this case, they say it's a wooden coaster, so it's a wooden coaster.

We can debate the validity of their claims all we want, but it's very hard to say that the people that own something have no idea what it is.

it's very hard to say that the people that own something have no idea what it is.

It's actually pretty easy. For example... this is from Cedar Point's "Roller Coasters" page. I'm not arguing about whether Goliath is wood or steel because I don't care, and I don't care if Cedar Point thinks this is a coaster... but it isn't.

disko.png.a06f1afa7f3084fd3f5085a7d81cf7e4.png

it's very hard to say that the people that own something have no idea what it is.

It's actually pretty easy. For example... this is from Cedar Point's "Roller Coasters" page. I'm not arguing about whether Goliath is wood or steel because I don't care, and I don't care if Cedar Point thinks this is a coaster... but it isn't.

HA! Life is one big grey area, isn't it? It's got wheels, it's gravity driven (sort of), it's on a track... Of course, I don't think anyone ever tried to call that old Ring of Fire ride a coaster.