TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

I'm really glad I got to visit this park once back when it was Hard Rock. Things just do not look good for the place at this point. I don't know what investors are going to want to sink more money into a place that has gone through a bankruptcy and potentially an entire season of not operating in it's 2 years or so of existance.

I do wish the park well, but I cannot say I'm surprised at this news.

The delays in getting cash infused into Freestyle Music Park by new investors means the company will close its business offices

I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Deserves quoted again.

It kind of cracked me up when I was at the Motel 6 about 4 exits from Carowinds for the night, and alas, they had brochures for Freestyle. I wonder if there is anyone who will show up thinking it is opening, just to find out that it is not in fact open.

-Gary T.

Kind of reminds me of National Lampoon's VACATION!!

We visited the Freestyle music Park last summer . It was a nice park and my kids had a good time . The thing is that it was in a really really bad location . I do wish they would have built it closer to the beach area . It is sad to see any park close and do hope they can work out something to get the park up and running again .

BTW WHO really is suprised that Ricky Martin is gay ???? Not anyone here I said it years ago ... Always the cute ones ladies ...always

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/03/30/1395175/freestyle-opening-hinges-on-investors.html

Freestyle Music Park won't open this year unless new investors sign on, a park attorney said Monday as a deadline in bankruptcy court approaches this week.

As other regional theme parks kicked off their seasons during the weekend, Freestyle continues to court investors to provide an infusion of cash that would allow the park to pay its debts and open for the summer. The park's owners want to open the park and are working hard to finalize a deal with investors, park attorney David Slough said.

Time to find those investors may be running out as a court deadline looms Thursday. Freestyle must pay a $570,000 debt inherited from previous owner Hard Rock Park; it has already received two extensions from the court.

Freestyle has been talking with investors since closing the park for the offseason in the fall after a disappointing debut season. Slough declined to say how close a deal with investors may be and said these kinds of negotiations take time - especially amid today's tight credit markets. "It is a complex transaction," Slough said. "There is a lot of due diligence, a whole lot of information they have to go through." Slough didn't know how long it would take to get the park ready to reopen once the finances are lined up, and the season is quickly approaching.

Last year, FPI MB Entertainment got the park ready in six weeks after buying it out of bankruptcy. The 55-acre park has been closed for less than a year, so it won't have as extensive prep work as a park that had been shuttered for years, Slough said. "That is one good thing that would help get it open sooner," he said.

The park needs to open by Memorial Day to have hopes of success, said Jim Futrell, a historian for the National Amusement Park Historical Association who tracks the industry. A typical amusement park season would run from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and the park needs a full and successful season to keep its gates open. Many other parks are already beginning to open, including Carowinds in Charlotte, N.C., and Family Kingdom Amusement Park in Myrtle Beach, which opened Saturday.

Freestyle shouldn't reopen even if it receives the additional investment, said Dennis Speigel, an industry consultant with no business ties to the park.

The park was ill-conceived and cannot succeed in its location no matter what it does, Speigel said. The park is too far from the beach, the Strand's main attraction, he said. "They go to Broadway at the Beach and they have their dinner and they go back to the beach the next day," he said. "They did not travel across the way to that park location." Most travelers to Myrtle Beach also already have better theme parks in their home regions, he said.

Freestyle's struggles are not indicative of the overall industry, Speigel said, and attendance at parks nationally will likely be about the same this year as in 2008. FPI MB Entertainment, Freestyle's owner, got an incredibly good deal when it bought the $400 million Hard Rock Park for $25 million out of bankruptcy, he said. With that price tag, if it hasn't been able to make it work, then no one can, he said. "It's probably the largest catastrophe in our industry," said Speigel. "Quite frankly the park shouldn't reopen."

Steve Baker, president of FPI MB Entertainment, the park's owner, did not comment when contacted at his office Monday. He said in mid-February that he aimed to have investors on board by mid-March.

I don't understand why the current owners even bothered to buy the park in the first place if they obviously wouldn't be able to pay for it.

I mean, $570,000? They can't even make this (relatively) small payment? Ugh...

I don't understand why so many people are happy that Freestyle Music Park is closing.

I mean, granted: the management sucked, the flat rides were just newer and cleaner versions of stuff found at the Ghetto Fair, the park lacked attractions (and even the headliners weren't anything too special), advertising was minimal so people didn't even know the park existed, Nights in White Satin was even chessier than DCA's Superstar Limo (though Limo was a GOOD kind of cheesy), the park could be finished in less than three hours, and the park seemed unfinished...

But...um......well......

At least it's not Fuji-Q Highland!

---space "BTW that was sarcasm" mtfan

^You really shouldn't only partially quote his post. You're trying to prove a point OPPOSITE to what he was saying!!!

It's like watching someone die. Do you want to see them suffer and die a slow and painful death, or just pull the plug and get the working organs to people that need them!??!?!

This park is never going to work, piece it out and help out a bunch of other parks instead!

Freestyle Music Park seems like it was doomed from the start. There were just too many factors against it for the park to have a remote chance of succeeding. I really hope that a couple other parks can benefit from its closure and get an attraction they really need for a really cheap price.

Like so many other failures, this park was a good idea with poor execution.

I'm just not convinced a park in this location could not work.

As a $200 Million investment, the investors would be unlikely to ever recuperate their money.

But I have to believe someone knowledgable and with a history of smart decisions could make the park profitable on an annual basis.

^You really shouldn't only partially quote his post. You're trying to prove a point OPPOSITE to what he was saying!!!

It's like watching someone die. Do you want to see them suffer and die a slow and painful death, or just pull the plug and get the working organs to people that need them!??!?!

This park is never going to work, piece it out and help out a bunch of other parks instead!

Well I would not like it to say I want to see it continue to suffer but I only agreed because some people (None of which on here) have been excited over several of the recent park closings.

I really do belive the park may of had a chance as a pay per ride park. Because with the economy many people don't want to spend alot to visit a park when they have a free beach (Is that correct?) and a free admission park right next to each other just down the road.

If this is truly the end I hope all of the rides can find new homes and the employees can find new jobs. Right now we need to support our parks before they are all gone....

I'm not going to support parks that I don't think have a chance and won't be a big loss to lose.

I do however care about several parks, and TPR even had a big part in helping Paulton's Park save their most current ride and park!

As for your statement on how we have to 'do something before all the parks are gone'...come on, that's a little too much drama!!!