alpengeist04 Posted July 9, 2006 Posted July 9, 2006 What a piece of sh**. Oh sorry, did I say that out loud.
chaos Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Maybe they'll decide to retrack it now. I haven't been on it, but from what I hear about the ride, that would be a very positive thing. I just hope those people were okay. -Luke
TheStig Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 ^I think they JUST retracked it during the off season if Im not mistaken. Colin C
TheKlockster Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Yeah they just did a 100% retracking and added about 20 feet's worth of width to the supports... I hope it reopens - but there is the possibility that it may not.
Rollerholden Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 I hope it reopens - but there is the possibility that it may not. Ever? I've never been on it, and people keep saying how bad it is, but if they take it out that would be sad.
TheKlockster Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 At least this year... Apparently what happened to the ride was big. The details are still really sketchy though. Update. The ride DID indeed finish the course. Something making a loud noise heard by witnesses around Action Zone - caused riders to experience discomfort upon returning to the station. Dayton Daily News
TheStig Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Because usuially when the train pulls back into the station, everybody is happy and comfortable! Colin C
pvcoasterguy Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 ^ Just like SLC's, Arrow Corkscrews, and Boomerangs. Fun for all!
coasterbilly Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 man take that Cedar Fair, what are you gonna do with this giant when you take over? Man this stinks, I know alot of people don't like it but I enjoyed it when I went in 2003, hope everyone will be ok
benzo41190 Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 wow, this year has been bad for accidents. And it seems like most of the ones this year were ride related. Normally it has to do with dumb riders
Chadley Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 From an enthusiast POV I thought it was funny that the "local" reporter had to look at his paper to remember the rides name...and still got it wrong, calling it the "Son Of A Beast".
dandaman Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 This is news? Riders complained of discomfort after the coaster completed a circuit and pulled back into the boarding area.
easytoremember Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 lol. But seriously, I would hate to see this ride taken out. When I rode in the second row last summer it was smooth as glass. I loved that ride.
TheKlockster Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 The Cincinnati Enquirer posted an article. Apparently someone broke their chest bone - and people came back into the station with blood coming out of their mouths. Cincinnati Enquirer Article Man - I would hate to see Son of Beast removed. But to Cedar Fair it's just alot of money in maintenence and settlements - and since its not Cedar Point - they aren't going to care about taking out a coaster.
DerekRx Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 I love this line from the Enquirer article: Pipoly said that at about the time of the malfunction, his friend who had been near the front of the line for the ride Delirium, was told that there were mechanical problems and the ride was being shot down. There you have it folks, its going to be put out of its misery just like Old Yeller or a horse with a broken leg.
Reality15 Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Alright, everyone, I'm here in Sharonville, Ohio tonight (today was spent at Kings Island), and I've got firsthand news on what went on. I got in line for Son of Beast shortly after I got to the park and took a ride on Top Gun. This was, I dont' know, sometime in the afternoon before dinner. I'm standing there in the station, and a train gets back and a lady doesn't get up out of the seat. She's holding her upper chest, and they called the paramedics and escorted her to the ride's exit gate (she was still there when I left the line). They send a ride op, paramedics, and a security guard out to the next train that's now waiting on the transfer track brakes, those three guys come flying back to the station yelling to "start the ride and get those people in here right away." The next train rolls in, and literaly everyone on the train is holding their chest, head, neck, stomach, you name it. That's when all sorts of employees, paramedics, security guards, and other personnel come running up the exit. It literaly looked like a scene out of Saving Private Ryan, people were EVERYWHERE on the path, just lying there. I took a walk over to ride Racer, Adventure Express and a few other rides, come back to ride Drop Zone. The Timberwolf Theatre over there is just packed to the brim with ambulances, paramedics, and all those injured. Word that I heard from several people that were near the exit path is that a board fell down and struk people as they went past. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because I'm not sure exactly what happened. So there you go, an update from the park from about 10 feet away from those injured. *~* Jon EDIT: Just saw the note about people with blood coming from their mouths: there were two small kids in the last car that both lost teeth and were therefore bleeding. Other than that, I saw no blood.
coasterdude5 Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 If the people came to a hard sudden stop, they may have thought they were riding the Beast instead of his son! Hey, its Kings Island, I'm sure the people thought it was part of the ride, until the evac team came along. Yeah, I had a E-stop on Everest. "Is this part of the ride? Wow, Janet! This ride is realistic!"
TheKlockster Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 I saw that myself. I guess the Sling Shot is like the new clay pigeon ride. A couple people get on, they get launched, and then someone on the ground shoots at them. Anyways - this could mean huge trouble for Kings Island. Another result might be prolonged time before we get anything new. Cedar Fair could remove Son of Beast - and the rides Paramount was planning on removing - AND not give us anything new for 10 years... I mean most of what the park makes this year is probably going to go to settlements past and present - cause of SOB.
coasterdude5 Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 ^But CF has held on to Mean Streak, but I'm not sure if it's as bad as SoB.
easytoremember Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Cedar Point is holding on to mean streak because they want to be in contension for most coasters in a single park.
TheKlockster Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Exactly. And I am sure they will have no qualms about removing Son of Beast. If they remove the rides planned on being removed for 07 under Paramount management - and remove Son of Beast - lines will be horrendous at Kings Island... Would you wait over 3 hours for Face/Off? Over 1 hour for Vortex? And this is normal day crowds...
Vekoma Fan Boy Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Something is going on with the transition into the loop i suppose. And since when did SoB have a "Chest Restraint"?
Reality15 Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 The transition into the loop is where the supposed "bump" or "board" was, so whatever happened, it happened right there. I wish I would have listened better to let y'all know what happened, but I know nothing else. Sorry.
Vekoma Fan Boy Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 That is where i got it from. And what is a "chest restraint" and since when does SoB have one?!?!?!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now