TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Thank you for the information. It seems that if one company dominates a whole area then most of the parks will suffer. Like here in tx where six flags dominated the area, there was no competition and we dont get many good rides here. Our first and only hyper-coaster here is The Titan. When Six Flags Houston was open, out tallest coaster was 110 ft.

^

Texas is only known for two things... steers and... I forget what the other thing was. But it wasn't roller coasters.

I dont think any of the parks would suffer in Ohio now that Cedar fair owns all the main ones within the state.

Six Flags owns every major theme park in the entire northeast above the Mason Dixon line with the exception of Dorney Park in Allentown, PA. All Six Flag's parks seem to get decent rides/coasters with no major theme park competitor, other than their own parks, for 500 to 1000 miles away.

Why use Trim brakes on "Mean Streak" or "Beast", both are world class rides and are spoilt by these things.

While I was on the "Mean Steak" (I was fascinated by the structure and could not wait to ride it, when I did ride it in 2000, it was a massive let down, height and speed were fine, it's when the brakes appear and you nearly stop)

I found the train was slowing down while going round the corners and nearly stopping.

On a coaster you should be slammed into the corners and fly down the drops.

The designers did not create a coaster to be trimmed to death and nearly stop.

Do the parks get complaints from the public to say these rides are 2 fast and rough, this is why they are slowed down?

Is it to help preserve the ride for longer, esp wood as it shakes itself to bits over the years.

Have you ever asked an Operator to ride a coaster "non-trimmed"

Anyone been on a coaster when it has stopped as it has been trimmed so much.?

Is it to help preserve the ride for longer, esp wood as it shakes itself to bits over the years.

Yes. It reduces wear and tear... but by the way you're explaining it, that's just obnoxious trimming!

That's exactly why MS was trimmed. It was starting to tear itself apart, and was becoming far too expensive to maintain. It was costing over $250,000 per year to maintain.

^ Yep. It's all controlled via computer (on rides with pinch brakes), or just by the way it was designed (on rides with magnetic brakes).

However, on B&M coasters in particular, trains can pass through trim areas without being trimmed, even if they are on. Because the train is already going the allowed speed.

I'm going to call up the guy that started the petition to save the Myrtle Beach Pavilion and tell him to stop that one and start one to burn down SOB!!!

Hopefully CF will have the sense to not put anymore money in this piece of crap and cut their losses, write it off and start over again. I'm hoping for a bonfire sometime soon!

That I would drive 8 hours to see!

I know this has nothing to deal with SOB but are the paramount parks keeping their paramount name? Because on the CF website it used to say just like Kings Island and Kings Dominion now it has the paramount name. Sorry if this was already in a thread. Something new should pop up at kings island and use SOB for a campfire.

State inspectors shut down the Son of Beast roller coaster indefinately after finding “structural problems” with the ride this morning.

A timber – one of the ride's wooden support beam– is “cracked and had actually splintered in places,” said Fred Dailey, director of the Ohio Department of Agriculture this afternoon.

Dailey and his team walked the tracks today to figure out what went wrong on the ride Sunday that sent 27 people to local hospitals. The ride has been shut down since 4:45 p.m. Sunday.

Only two people remain hospitalized this afternoon, park officials said.

“It was obvious there was a failure of the timber and maybe more than one,” said Dailey.

While the problem would not have caused the train to leave the track, it could have caused a depression that would have created a bump in the ride, he said. That would explain riders’ complaints that they felt a sharp jolt while on the ride.

The problem timbers are on a short section of track on one of the coaster’s hills. Dailey says it likely broke at the time of the accident or one or two rides prior.

The Department of Agriculture is responsible for annually inspecting all amusement park rides in the state from go-carts to waterslides to roller coasters.

The Son of Beast was inspected on May 19 and no problems were found.

The coaster will remain closed until the state completes its investigation. It could take days or months.

The department will also determine if there are any other safety issues with the ride.

Dailey said this is the first time a problem has been reported with Son of Beast.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060710/NEWS01/307100020

^^Just saw that article!

Very interesting. Not just a loose board, a structural problem. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Those RCCA Woodies are not well made and have several JOLTS in them, I'm surprised it took this long for a big problem to happen.

Didn't this ride get most or all of it's track rebuilt this offseason? I was thinking there was some "major work" done to SOB this past winter.

I think this might be the nail in the coffin of this SOB...

Have you seen Rattler move when a train goes by. It moves a few feet when a train goes by, isn't there a point when it's unsafe? If Rattler can do it, why not SoB? Oh wait, I remember, cause it sucks! :-P

Well, atleast they might tear down SoB after this! Please do!

I'm actually wondering if its the engineering or the construction side of things that failed. Usually there are factors of safety on everything done in engineering to prevent failures, so it might not be the design of the ride, it might be an inferior piece of wood used, as a lot of wood will have knots in it or other imperfections. Also the design of Rattler may allow for deformations to occur more than other designs by other firms, though all wood will deform, which is good becuase it snaps otherwise.

Dude, what the heck is Mr. Ekko doing at King's Island!? So THATS where they're all stranded, now it makes sense!!

LOL Derek!!

Well, there were people who used to call the park when I worked there and ask if we were an actual ISLAND.......

I honestly don't know if it was retracked in the off season or not. I do know it opened later in the season than the rest of the rides. Thanks to Klockster, I did ride both Racer and Beast last week and they were the smoothest rides I have had on each in a few years, but the Beast brakes hard in places where it seems ridiculous for it to.

Shari "Give me The Voyage any day" Shoufler