TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Orion! It's just what you think it would be

Great first drop, a big whiff on the sideways airtimeless hill, a fun Goliath (SFGAm) big turn around, a decent airtime speed hill, a trimmed airtime hill that will get lots of criticism, a solid helix, and a surprisingly excellent curvy airtime hill before the brake run.

Rode row 8. Would love some more rides, could see it being a front row ride.

Orion! It's just what you think it would be

Great first drop, a big whiff on the sideways airtimeless hill, a fun Goliath (SFGAm) big turn around, a decent airtime speed hill, a trimmed airtime hill that will get lots of criticism, a solid helix, and a surprisingly excellent curvy airtime hill before the brake run.

Rode row 8. Would love some more rides, could see it being a front row ride.

Yes, it’s absolutely a front row ride. Hands up the whole ride! Rode Orion for the first time yesterday in the front and LOVED it.

First time posting and long time lurker. This was my experience. I got to the park at noon and stayed till 4:30. I was one of the lucky few that had the FL+. Road Orion twice. Once from the back and one from the front. I liked the back for more airtime than in the front, but the first couple of sections of the ride were better in the front. If you have a FL+, you didn't have to wait in line. There were only a few times that I encountered anyone in the FL+ line, and that was one or two groups. The only time I had to wait was for The Bat, right before it broke down, and I was in line when it broke down. Not a big deal since I was getting on everything that I wanted to ride very quickly.

I did overheat a little toward the end, hence why I left the park early. I should have started drinking liquids a lot sooner than I did. But overall, it was a good experience with the masks. I brought a couple with me, and one of my masks almost ended up flying away on Orion, and that was my first coaster of the day. After that, I switched to a tighter one and it was fine the rest of the time.

They do wipe down the rides, which was nice to see. I guess the really annoying part was the teenage kids just hopping off of the rides like they don't have to listen to the rules. But expect to have half-full trains, and then them letting the rows exit by row. I hope Cedar Point will be the same way because I am headed there next weekend.

I think it's exactly what you would expect. It's just fine. Fury is the perfect layout for this style of coaster.

Orion reminds me of Goliath (RMC at SFGAm) because it's just a great drop and a handful of giant elements. 

The wave turn had so much potential and it doesn't do anything. The big turnout doesn't make an impression, then speed hill is eh, and the airtime hill will forever be criticized about the trim. The helix was fun, and was not intense as advertised. The final airtime hill was probably the best outside of the first drop.

I hope another rider or two will change my mind but it's a solid ride but nothing close to Fury. 

Top 10 in no order: Steel Vengeance, Maverick, DoDoDonpa, Hakugei, Outlaw Run, Fury, Scooby's Spooky Coaster, Skyrush, Phoenix, I305

20200703_165800.thumb.jpg.8b72b966a45f459fad2e4893da7eb17f.jpg

Just sayin', listing a wild-mouse-in-a-box in your top ten, with some of the most intense coasters in the world, kinda weakens your credibility. Not saying I disagree with your assessment (to be confirmed in a week and a half when I make it to KI), just kinda sayin'...

Just sayin', listing a wild-mouse-in-a-box in your top ten, with some of the most intense coasters in the world, kinda weakens your credibility. Not saying I disagree with your assessment (to be confirmed in a week and a half when I make it to KI), just kinda sayin'...

You been on it? Scooby is pretty dope! I also should have added Eejanaika, Takabisha, and Fujiyama to that list too..

Listen I've been on tons of RMCs, B&M hypers, Intamins etc. It's tough to brag about focusing on "speed and intensity" when the elements are so high and huge. Orion is such a strange project.

Ontop of that it's so silent. The lift. The coaster. Silent.

Edited by PKI Jizzman

Had 6 or 7 rides on Orion today. Enjoyed it but wasn't floored by it. Some comments I heard from other riders were also surprising. Some loved it, some thought it wasn't intense.

First drop, speed hill and even the trimmed airtime hill are all good.

Personally I'll take Fury, MF, SteVe and plenty more over this. But it looks awesome, people will love it, and it eats people quickly and reliably. Good add for the park but I don't see it being a top destination coaster for nerds, which is fine.

From the sounds of it, Orion is going to be another coaster with forever mixed reviews. The fun vs. boring arguments are going to be worse than Banshee and Beast. The majority of the reviews I've read pinpoint it as riding exactly how it looks. Maybe things will get better once you add a couple thousand pounds of people.

I wonder if the silent lift and quiet ride have anything to do with the neighbors. Didn't they fill sections of Orion with sand after the complaints?

I think another coaster in the park is the leading candidate for that treatment But in all seriousness KI locals, we at SFSTL haven't had a new coaster in a very very long time, you are very lucky to have the selection at your park. I mean I think nothing of taking the 6 hour one way car trip to visit KI.

For those who have been to the park this year, do you actually need to bring your phone into the park? I filled out the health survey on the app; does that automatically get uploaded to your pass, or do you need to physically show your results to an employee?

Banshee even with half empty trains running really intense thanks to the heat! The drop in the back row is so good, such a nice pop of air. It's too bad those vests squeeze you in against the seat so tight, you feel every imperfection along the track. Nothing has changed since day 1, it rides the same. The speed it picks up going down hill out of the zero g takes me by surprise and that loop down there makes your legs weak!

20200703_122052.thumb.jpg.992c8fcd0c107ee864a27bdc2837bdda.jpg

Banshee is for sure intense, I just wish it was more 'snappy' like any of B&M's other inverts. Even Silver Bullet is far better in that regard. The transitions in/out of the elements are just terrible, IMO. The same layout, designed 10 years prior with the standard trains would have been a huge improvement. Still dig the ride, but man, I just don't like what they did with the dynamic design of it. It's a bummer!

Banshee is for sure intense, I just wish it was more 'snappy' like any of B&M's other inverts. Even Silver Bullet is far better in that regard. The transitions in/out of the elements are just terrible, IMO. The same layout, designed 10 years prior with the standard trains would have been a huge improvement. Still dig the ride, but man, I just don't like what they did with the dynamic design of it. It's a bummer!

So true. Watching the trains run through the track off ride is so fun. That first immelman inversion is so funky!

Kings Island was amazing for July 4th! We LOVED ORION!! It’s unfortunate how much this ride has been railed against before opening and even by some enthusiasts who’ve ridden and been like ‘meh’ and ‘underwhelmed’. We had three front row rides and one back row; definitely prefer the front for the speed effect. Orion is so much fun and when I came into that insanely high brake running At the end, I was giggling my butt off. The wave turn is yes, not like RMC’s but last I checked, B&M And RMC are completely different coasters. The wave turn is great but stupid fast and quick and that’s because Orion just plain hauls. But the two elements I live even more are the speed hill with ‘flojector’ and the last sideways ‘flip hill’ before the brake run that actually felt a little like a second wave turn.

Full disclosure, haven’t ridden fury but cant wait to. Should be fun having the Orion ride in before fury, and fury will definitely get a fair shake opinion wise.

So....how exactly is the line ticket thing working. We will be there at park open when we go. Are they letting a certain amount just get on and then when the line gets to a certain point begin to hand out line tickets?

I saw earlier someone asked if the water park was going to open, I "hear" none of the cedar fair water parks will be opening this season.

Cedar Point Shores is confirmed to be staying closed, Soak City is TBD