TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Isn't 3 trains unusual for a GCI? I thought most of them had two. That being the case, the rendering looks like the coaster may have an unloading station to help with capacity. I could see this as being a reality, since KI has really put a focus on capacity this season. Or at least that's the impression I have gotten after reading a few TR's.

It is unusual because rides without a MCBR don't need three trains as one will always be waiting outside the station or even two on slow dispatches. GCI rides don't usefully have a MCBR so don't need the extra train. HOWEVER, this coaster seems to have a dual station on it, with load and unload, allowing it to have more trains, to speed up dispatches without a useless train. Should have a good throughput.

Ehh, I don't know if I saw that as an unload station but the shed will at least be an additional block and I assume add no less than 10 seconds to the ride time, so they could be doing it like Banshee with three trains and no mid-course. Just imagine the shed takes the place of another 1000 feet of track and the additional block on the brakes.

One load/unload, another on the lift while the third finishes the course and hits the brakes.

The beast did this type of coaster (terrain wooden) better 35ish years ago. 16 years ago the same park put in a 7000 foot 200 tall wooden coaster with a loop. The same park also put in the world's biggest invert and a universal-quality themed flat ride. So this ride is just a meh from me. Reliable, slightly above average wooden coaster in a park that already has several coasters that fit into this category.

It seems like they wanted a family addition that grew into a really good family addition, but it doesn't wow me in context of their Other rides or past history.

That great part about this is that its perfectly okay. I highly doubt the park mamagement sat in the board room hovering around the table saying, "What can we do it order to "wow" BlahBlahson?" KI is getting a huge coaster. Its "wow" worthy anytime a park gets such a large addition when they already have so many coasters.

As for the " lunch coaster" mentioned a few posts back. I'll be on the first train out if they install one of those.

so many people crapping on the name a size of the ride. that's cool if you don't like it but I personally like what they are doing and can't wait to see what the other announcement is and what is inside the shed. I am failing to see why Mystic Timbers is a bad name. I also see a good speed wooden coaster that hugs the terrain in a somewhat secluded area with a bunch of pops of airtime from a company that has been known to deliver a quality product.

I would have preferred an RMC as well as most of you however I am a lot more happy that this isn't just another B&M (unless it happened to be Fury 2.0)

Isn't 3 trains unusual for a GCI? I thought most of them had two. That being the case, the rendering looks like the coaster may have an unloading station to help with capacity. I could see this as being a reality, since KI has really put a focus on capacity this season. Or at least that's the impression I have gotten after reading a few TR's.

It is unusual because rides without a MCBR don't need three trains as one will always be waiting outside the station or even two on slow dispatches. GCI rides don't usefully have a MCBR so don't need the extra train. HOWEVER, this coaster seems to have a dual station on it, with load and unload, allowing it to have more trains, to speed up dispatches without a useless train. Should have a good throughput.

Wodan at Europa Park is running three trains with one station without stacking, so it is possible to do it

It is unusual because rides without a MCBR don't need three trains as one will always be waiting outside the station or even two on slow dispatches.

You don't need a midcourse or an unload station to run 3 trains. There's a pre lift section and if it had a variable speed lift it would be fine. There's another coaster in the same park that runs 3 trains without a midcourse (Banshee). Fury does the same thing.

But really the 3 trains thing tells me that whatever happens in that building might take awhile. I guess it's some kind of show scene.

But really the 3 trains thing tells me that whatever happens in that building might take awhile. I guess it's some kind of show scene.

It will probably be full of Pokemons for the riders to catch.

My biggest questions here are the train stats: Three trains; four riders per car and six cars per train. Whatever's in the shed must allow for three-train operation with minimal/no stacking. Also, the four riders/car and six cars/train do not sound like the typical millennium flyers to me. Maybe a typo or are these a new generation?

And then: Race for your life Charlie Brown: what is the status of the log flume?

Can't wait to hear how the night ride compares to Beast, especially with the contents of the shed. My prediction: a lot of fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo.

In the 3d renderings of the ride, they featured normal millennium flyer trains. However, in the screenshots there were trains that almost looked like New Texas Giant or Verbolten trains. However, to me it looks like a photoshop job more than anything. They likely don't have the trains they are actually using available in NL2 or whatever software they are using for the renderings, hence the millennium flyers rather than the true trains being used.

Cedar Fair is developing a pattern here.

2013 - Cedar Point new coaster

2014 - Kings Island new coaster

2015 - Carowinds new coaster

2016 - Cedar Point new coaster

2017 - Kings Island new coaster

2018 - ???Carowinds new coaster???

Although I still think somebody is getting a new B&M next year too. Probably Canada's Wonderland.

Anyways, I love GCI's...I'd love to see one at every Cedar Fair park.

Three years between new coasters at two parks is not a pattern, it's a slight (almost expected) coincidence. You need more examples than two for a pattern. That's like cutting a piece of wood roughly in half and calling it a puzzle.

I'm skeptical about a new B&M. Those don't just pop up randomly, usually it's very obvious at this point and little of a surprise and the fact that nobody's heard anything from anywhere is telling.

Three years between new coasters at two parks is not a pattern, it's a slight (almost expected) coincidence. You need more examples than two for a pattern. That's like cutting a piece of wood roughly in half and calling it a puzzle.

I'm skeptical about a new B&M. Those don't just pop up randomly, usually it's very obvious at this point and little of a surprise and the fact that nobody's heard anything from anywhere is telling.

I agree, not a pattern yet...But developing...Maybe. And if Cedar Fair is getting a new B&M somewhere, they've done a good job keeping it quiet. I am curious who's getting this new green B&M tho.

13669000_1631021013839555_6805114707092018113_n.jpg.e2f7df004bbec2e91b84add57cec4e53.jpg

the same park put in a 7000 foot 200 tall wooden coaster with a loop. The same park also put in the world's biggest invert and a universal-quality themed flat ride. So this ride is just a meh from me.

And how are two out of three of those rides holding up?

I don't get it, and its probably a good thing, Why cant the park add a coaster like this? I guess im just optimistic and welcomes all new coaster additions. I feel this coaster will be unique to the park as there are no twister wooden coasters in their line up. Hershey park has virtually 3 of the same wooden twister coasters and no one bats an eye. Holiday has virtually all wooden coasters and they get praises out the cahoots . So why is kings islands bashed for adding what appears to be a solid wooden coaster to their line up? I think we need to stop thinking the parks are in some coaster war and are always looking to break or set records. We gotta start looking at things with a more realistic view and realize those days are no longer here and parks realized that having a solid line up to the park (be it rides, shows, attractions) is what FAMILIES want.

Went to the big reveal event yesterday, along with like 1,000 other of my closest friends, and the crowd was pretty electric. I'm not a fan of the name, however, this is going to be a bomb-ass coaster. Kentucky Rumbler is seemingly small and compact, but that ride has some fantastic airtime. GCI knows airtime. I have a feeling the topography/landscape of the site will make the ride all the more exciting. Cannot wait for spring!

What it took 6 years to accomplish?

Open Prowler

Right click

Copy

Paste

Scale up 10%

Done

Spot on.

Not complaining though. GCI's, while not the best wooden coasters they still are a solid ride and fun. The ability to run three trains will be nice though.

Obviously am thinking a bit far ahead, but was wondering when the best time to purchase season passes for 2017 would be?

We're not local to any of the Cedar Fair parks, but are within driving distance of KI, CP, and WoF, and are considering getting a season pass for next yer and doing a few road trips. Six Flags is our "home" park, and Labor Day weekend is by far the best time to buy season passes for the following year...do the Cedar Fair parks run a similar promotion or do better deals come up later?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insights!

Nowadays it seems like I always have something to complain about new-ride wise. But this coaster? OMG!

This ride looks phenomenal. I really can't find a single complaint about it. Ride, logo, name, etc. are all on point with this ride in my opinion.

Looks to be a fantastic night ride too. I'd be shocked if this isn't a better night ride than the Beast. Especially going over the water in the dark. Looks incredible!

Prowler has always been my favorite GCI. It's fast, intense nature and it's terrain interaction make it one of a kind. I'm glad KI payed attention in 2009, cause it looks like they're building a winner. I haven't been this excited for a new ride since Fury was announced in 2014.

What it took 6 years to accomplish?

Open Prowler

Right click

Copy

Paste

Scale up 10%

Done

Is it really scaled up 10%? It's only 8 ft. taller, 1.8 mph faster, and 194 feet longer. If I had to guess, I bet both rides feel so similar that you really won't be able to tell a difference in scale.

I love the look of the layout, the manufacturer and the name. I am in the minority, it sounds like.

I am extremely excited for this, but only wish it was coming to CP instead...

I am not a big fan of the name, but I think it will play well with families and children. Mystic Timbers is a name that does not sound intimidating. Additionally parents can easily explain to kids that it is not that tall, and does not go that fast; which are common things I hear in lines when parents are trying to assuage their kids fears.

Finally I love that is has a story. I've noticed lately with Cedar Fair rides that they work hard to give it a story line, even if the theming leaves something to be desired. Also we still do not know what is in the shed! lol