TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Yeah, they really couldn't be any further away from each other.

^Too bad we have to walk across the park to get between the two!

Hershey really needs to get some kind of transportation ride back into the park. I believe it is more of a hike around that park than BGW. During ECB my wife took one of those walking thingies with us and we hoofed it over 15 miles that day. Bring back some type of triangular skyride with stations placed in the 3 farthest corners and add a stop to the Monorail over near the backside of the park.

^15 miles?? Wow. I always figured I walked around a couple, but maybe I've been underestimating! If it weren't for the food, this hobby would be a great workout.

Definitely agree with you on the transportation. The current Skyride really just has no purpose...and it always seemed like there was room on the far side of the river for a station that just was never put there.

Being that this country has such a problem with people being overweight, I think that they should force people to walk a little more when they visit a park. Not trying to be mean here, but it's a proven fact that Americans don't get nearly enough exercise.

Personally, I always look forward to visiting a park because it gets me the exercise I need. I'm pretty psyched about visiting Dollywood next week because you can get some serious trekking in walking around that place! Of course, you need that after having those delicious skillet dinners and cinnamon rolls!

Working at a desk job for 40+ hours a week, I look forward to walking whenever I can. When we were at Hershey last weekend, I ended up with about 15,000 steps on my pedometer..and that was only being in the park about five hours with a good chunk of the park closed off!

My understanding is that the skyride and the monorail did serve a purpose--once. I rather like the little train ride with its cheesy "wild west" ghost-town themeing.

^ You know, it's kinda funny how we have a skyride, a monorail, AND a train... Yet all three are useless transportation-wise.

Chuck's right: The in-park Monorail was part of the HersheyPark 1971 renovations, and was used to transport park patrons over to the Hershey Tour at the Factory.

Once the factory was 'Wonka-ized' and sealed off, the Monorail went dormant as a people-mover, but is a great way to get off ones' feet for a while- and will give you some great shots of the rides in the park.

The park also had a useful skyride. The station is now the Kosher Mart at the front end of the park. I don't remember when or why it was removed. The Skyview that is still there has always been that "scenic" type of skyride. Kind of pointless, in my opinion, and not worth the 45 minute wait it gets some days.

^It was removed at the end of 1992 and the most common reason that I have heard over the years was that the town's fire truck wasn't tall enough to evacuate people from 115 feet in the air. I've also heard of it being hard to get replacement parts (which could be possible since most of the Intamin ones had closed in the 1980s) and the ride being hard to close under windy conditions. Right now I'm believing that the first reason is more likely considering the ride is now at Dream World in Thailand.

I don't know but ever since they moved Looper Games under the ride, Skyview seems to feel a little more scenic. I guess it's because you can't see the turnaround from the station anymore.

rhineland_sky_ride_station__800_x_571__148.jpg

The Rhineland station before.

The Rhineland station today.

1090710051_SkyRide1.jpg.3b712d29b0f9b79c95b7a90b98ca584f.jpg

The Sky Ride today in Thailand.

DSC02814.jpg.e443cb32bbc10f559a76a35cc12a5f0f.jpg

Looper Lanes under Skyview.

Was there a second station for the original Skyride? Shame it had to go, they're such a nice way to get across a park! Great Adventure's is a lifesaver when it's open, it covers the longest walk that entire park has to offer in two nice, scenic minutes!

Yep, but it wasn't photographed as much as the Rhineland one. It was where Great Bear's loading station is today.

minetown_sky_ride_station__800_x_562__121.jpg

From hpslappy.com (which doesn't exist anymore).

Yes quite a bit was done last week. The other half of the lift hill has been started, along with the loading station, winch for the lift, AND some amazing turns. The final turn over comet before the brake runs looks like it's 90 degrees as well.

Thanks for our favorite steel worker here are his three (3) latest videos and well worth watching (imho)

Call me crazy, but this looks like the must ride for 2012 !

I'd first like to send out a huge thanks to those of you who have been supplying the AWESOME photo updates of the construction! We definitely appreciate the hard work to keep us coaster nerds happy!

As for Skyrush itself? Holy Moses, this coaster looks stunning already! What's completed of the first drop looks sick. This thing has the potential to be truly world-class, without a doubt. And I am totally digging the color scheme on it too. I really cannot wait to ride this puppy in 2012!!

Well here is another stunning construction video from the creek itself. That airtime hill will certainly deliver ejector air, while the drop and "dive" look great. What's really good with this vid, is the creek is once again flooded, so you can get a sense of how this ride will look when completed, basically over water - AMAZING (imho)

This was soooo totally time to be build ! I mean...how hard was it to look at the polls...and the smiling faces of the riders on holy GeForce, Walibi`s Goliath and the megalites and say : Come on ! Were gonna take the "concept" and build something similar here in the states...and try to even make it a little better !!!

Was it soooo hard ? I mean...this thing will be SERIOUS competition for Geforce, Goliath and the megalites...good...but why did it take soooo long to do it ???