TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Drayton Manor Discussion Thread

While the reports are suggesting that the girl stood up during the ride, although nothing has been officially confirmed yet, I can see this resulting in more safety measures on rapids rides. The larger rapids have seatbelts and some have either a netting barrier or doors on the entry steps, so I imagine that something similar might be installed here, and possibly the other rapids rides in the UK at least.

Very sad times again.

More details on the vicitm here but no more details about what happened: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39867690

As tragic as this accident is, this part of the article pissed me off so much:

Vikki Treacy told BBC 5 live her son fell in the water on the same ride in 2013. She said Patrick, who was 10 at the time, "sort of stood up" for a photo and toppled from the boat.

The mother, from Rugby, said: "When you are queuing up, the loud speakers are telling you the safety instructions, like please stay seated. [but] they're getting excited and giddy, they're not listening to a tannoy are they? [After he fell] I panicked and a woman... in the spectators' bit, hopped over a fence at the side and dragged him out. My son was in an area where the public could get to him. It's a dangerous ride. It really is. I'll never go back to the park. No way. Their aftercare was shocking."

So you're telling me that, because your son broke a rule THAT WAS POSTED ALL OVER THE SIGNS IN THE QUEUE, that you're gonna blame the park because of how they responded? And you're gonna say he's not at fault basically because he's just a kid? I have a five-year-old little sister, and she has no problem with following the rules. She even knows how to put her own belongings in a locker.

See, these are the problems we have in America. It happens in Orlando a lot; person does something stupid, person suffers the consequences of said decision, park decides to try and help the person, and then the person criticizes the park due to it "not being safe" or some BS like that. People suck.

More details on the vicitm here but no more details about what happened: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39867690

As tragic as this accident is, this part of the article pissed me off so much:

Vikki Treacy told BBC 5 live her son fell in the water on the same ride in 2013. She said Patrick, who was 10 at the time, "sort of stood up" for a photo and toppled from the boat.

The mother, from Rugby, said: "When you are queuing up, the loud speakers are telling you the safety instructions, like please stay seated. [but] they're getting excited and giddy, they're not listening to a tannoy are they? [After he fell] I panicked and a woman... in the spectators' bit, hopped over a fence at the side and dragged him out. My son was in an area where the public could get to him. It's a dangerous ride. It really is. I'll never go back to the park. No way. Their aftercare was shocking."

So you're telling me that, because your son broke a rule THAT WAS POSTED ALL OVER THE SIGNS IN THE QUEUE, that you're gonna blame the park because of how they responded? And you're gonna say he's not at fault basically because he's just a kid? I have a five-year-old little sister, and she has no problem with following the rules. She even knows how to put her own belongings in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.

See, these are the problems we have in America. It happens in Orlando a lot; person does something stupid, person suffers the consequences of said decision, park decides to try and help the person, and then the person criticizes the park due to it "not being safe" or some BS like that. People suck.

Yeah I just read this article and came here to express my thoughts, this is honestly just negligence from the parents. Someone from coasterforce was also interviewed and a lawyer who both said the ride was very safe and the coasterforce guy even stated they didn't have seatbelts incase it toppled. The BBC is such a good news site as they always try and show non biased viewpoints and both sides of the argument.

I don't know why the BBC hasn't reported it (at least in the article I read), but other organisations (Guardian and, to my eternal shame, Daily Mail) have reported that she stood up on the raft to change seats whilst it was in motion.

The park has remained closed today, they posted this message on Facebook yesterday...

The Tragic events of Tuesday have shaken the whole Drayton Manor family from the Board, through to staff and visitors.

We would like to extend our thanks to the emergency services for everything they did yesterday.

The park will be closed on Thursday, to allow the Health and Safety Executive to complete their work.

Our thoughts are with the family and all those who have been affected by Tuesday's incident.

It could be me reading too much into the wording of the statement but it does sound like the investigation may be relatively short. It's not a situation like The Smiler incident where it was obvious that the park was at fault, and a lengthy investigation was needed to find out why it happened, but if the reports of the girl standing up are true, the investigation may be concluded swiftly.

So I assume the investigation will come out soon and find that the girl ignored instructions, stood up, died.

Very tragic and sad, but I really hope the park picks back up quickly and can bounce back from this. Rapids rides have existed for 30+ years and there have been a few incidents like this, and there have been incidents where the ride/operator was at fault. I really hope we don't see seatbelts installed as I'm a big proponent of NOT having them on water rides that don't need them.

So I assume the investigation will come out soon and find that the girl ignored instructions, stood up, died.

Very tragic and sad, but I really hope the park picks back up quickly and can bounce back from this. Rapids rides have existed for 30+ years and there have been a few incidents like this, and there have been incidents where the ride/operator was at fault. I really hope we don't see seatbelts installed as I'm a big proponent of NOT having them on water rides that don't need them.

The thing is what I read on BBC News is that they cannot have belts incase it tips over, as there would be very little chance of someone not prepared surviving.

If seat belts are added, people will take them off. Simple. If someone wants to stand, they will.

People stand because they don't see the risk, but a restraint would be a clear reminder of the risk. You never see people take their belts off on rides.

If seat belts are added, people will take them off. Simple. If someone wants to stand, they will.

Yes, but it will be easier for the park to claim no responsibility if the guest opened their seatbelt.

^ Then people will ask for a ban on rapid rides. That is how the GP views things. Or they will ask for full OTSR's along with feet locking deices and barbed wire over the top of the rafts to prevent people being able to or wanting to stand up.

^ Then people will ask for a ban on rapid rides. That is how the GP views things. Or they will ask for full OTSR's along with feet locking deices and barbed wire over the top of the rafts to prevent people being able to or wanting to stand up.

lightningrodworker.jpg.a1f8532ae8bdda0482c6379a6a48af15.jpg

Yes, a tiny minority might ask for that, and the press will as usual report as if this is the view of everybody and guess what, there will be some other drama in the news and people will move on, just like people wanted Smiler removed and then it reopened.

It was a joke by the way, not serious.

Long live the face palming Lightning Rod ride op.

If you have to explain something is a joke, you're doing it wrong.

Man I really hate amusement park accidents, all they do is worsen good parts of attractions and make the park less trusted by people who don't consider all of the elements of the issue. And like most issues, parks fold under pressure to "please" their guests at their own expense.

I was being really serious when I suggested putting barbed wire around the perimeter of the rafts. (By the way, that was sarcastic).

I was being really serious when I suggested putting barbed wire around the perimeter of the rafts. (By the way, that was sarcastic).

Well, thats the problem with posting a lot of dumb sh!t. When you try to make a funny/sarcastic post people assume you are still just posting dumb sh!t.