TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Laugh all you want. I don't care. But now since CF is back to owning CGA I truly believe CGA will finally get some good stuff & now CF is starting to finally care about the park. Already a water slide & coaster ARE COMING which is 100% true.

Well, not actually 100% true, yet, nothing has been confirmed by anybody. So at this point they are just "likely" possibilities.

Laugh all you want. I don't care. But now since CF is back to owning CGA I truly believe CGA will finally get some good stuff & now CF is starting to finally care about the park. Already a water slide & coaster ARE COMING which is 100% true.

Not to be too mean, but...

The coaster has been 'coming' since 2008... The water park addition has been coming since 2009. All of this was 100% true... THEN.

Once again, I'm going to recommend something you're not going to like: But it will stop the pain when your fan-boy wishes come true... Don't take every single word from ONE statement as pure fact and the gospel. You'll not quite as hurt when your dreams don't come true.

Not to be too mean, but...

The coaster has been 'coming' since 2008... The water park addition has been coming since 2009. All of this was 100% true... THEN.

Once again, I'm going to recommend something you're not going to like: But it will stop the pain when your fan-boy wishes come true... Don't take every single word from ONE statement as pure fact and the gospel. You'll not quite as hurt when your dreams don't come true.

The only actual statement made (from who knows how credible the source is) was about 'a roller coaster and water park attraction' from Mercury News. While that does bring hope to many of us locals who love CGA, nothing is truly official until an official press release is made. Until then, on our end it's all speculation and drawing conclusions from different things we are seeing (such as the height varience renewal back in June, the 2008 GCI photos, CGA's so-called 'new opportunity', etc).

Realistically, I don't see the waterpark doubling it's size. I'm having a tough enough time to figure out if even a slide complex can even go up. On the other hand, CGA being landlocked seems to be an assumption that they can't get anything big. Knotts is also pretty well landlocked in the middle of a city block. They still manage to shoehorn rides in or pile rides on each other, though I would not like to see that (ride pileup) happen at CGA as it would take away from the charm the park has now. Yes, I think landscape-wise, CGA is a nice looking park, nicer than it's rival up north (that's been described to look like a permanent carnival up by the Medusa and Roar plazas). But I digress.

I will admit, I do think that there are some good things to come in the future for CGA. Not as wild as a Blitz Coaster (Maverick Clone?) or an I305 clone but I think something that will pack a punch in a smaller package is to come for the park. And yes, I'm one who still thinks that the GCI will happen soon, have this gut feeling that 2013 will be our year to rejoice. For now though, I'm just happy at the moment that we have a higher-ranked coaster that has aged rather well, being Flight Deck.

^100% AGREED! Couldn't have said that better! My view is this: First replace Invertigo with a decent coaster like that woodie they want to put in or a Maverick clone, then replace Grizzly with something like Top Thrill Dragster/Melinimum Force type coaster, then finally replace Vortex with a coaster with something like a floorless. For replacing Tidal Wave/Stealth make Boomerang Bay twice the size-double the slides. & There you have a nicely turned around decent park.

I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. Thank you.

LOL! Did you notice at how well she could spell "Millennium"?

All Cedar Fair cares about is the extra money they're going to get from the football stadium.

Becuase if the stadium didn't exist, Cedar Fair would ____________________________ (fill in the blank)

Well, not actually 100% true, yet, nothing has been confirmed by anybody. So at this point they are just "likely" possibilities.

I do not expect the user you're trying to explain this to will fully grasp that "concept".

Hell, even Grizzly east makes Grizzly west look smooth. Cedar Fair has many wood coasters that need the topper track, and Grizzly west is not one of them. Mean Streak, Ghostrider, Grizzly east, the Hurler clones, Wild Beast, Minebuster, and (the SBNO) SOB are all rougher than CGA's Grizzly, and all of these rides could really use topper track (and the NTAG treatment for the last one). Actually, if I were to rank my wood coasters from smoothest to roughest, my list would be El Toro>Apocolator>Lightning Racer>Phoenix>Grizzly> all the others I have ridden. I would put Grizzly ahead of Phoenix in thems of smoothness if the trains weren't so uncomfortable.

If Grizzly were removed today, I doubt many people on these forums would miss it. However, the waits are generally quite long, sometimes almost as long as Flight Deck. Grizzly isn't going anywhere. I do believe it could use some new trains, as any pain you can get on the ride mainly comes from the trains and not really the actual roughness.

^Four friends and I decided to ride Mean Streak in the back 3 rows, just to say we did it. It was worth it.

KD did a partial retracking on Grizz over the past couple of seasons & the ride is still running far smoother than the POS next door known as hurler...now that thing needs to go as no amount of retracking,or even topper track can save it.

^100% AGREED! Couldn't have said that better! My view is this: First replace Invertigo with a decent coaster like that woodie they want to put in or a Maverick clone, then replace Grizzly with something like Top Thrill Dragster/Melinimum Force type coaster, then finally replace Vortex with a coaster with something like a floorless. For replacing Tidal Wave/Stealth make Boomerang Bay twice the size-double the slides. & There you have a nicely turned around decent park.

I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. Thank you.

LOL! Did you notice at how well she could spell "Millennium"?

All Cedar Fair cares about is the extra money they're going to get from the football stadium.

Becuase if the stadium didn't exist, Cedar Fair would ____________________________ (fill in the blank)

I do not expect the user you're trying to explain this to will fully grasp that "concept".

Brady MacDonald of the L.A Times could confirm for us!

I think I may have mentioned this before, but if Cedar Fair is smart, Grizzly and Demon won't be going anywhere without some sort of legally binding agreement that says they can replace a removed coaster with a similar sized new coaster. That side of the park is where a lot of the noise problems come from and both Grizzly and Demon have been there longer than most if not all of the office buildings that line that edge of the park. If they removed either coaster without an agreement, the land would become virtually worthless to the park because they wouldn't be able to build anything that would satisfy noise requirements without fully enclosing it.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but if Cedar Fair is smart, Grizzly and Demon won't be going anywhere without some sort of legally binding agreement that says they can replace a removed coaster with a similar sized new coaster. That side of the park is where a lot of the noise problems come from and both Grizzly and Demon have been there longer than most if not all of the office buildings that line that edge of the park. If they removed either coaster without an agreement, the land would become virtually worthless to the park because they wouldn't be able to build anything that would satisfy noise requirements without fully enclosing it.

Agreed. And I would hate to see that happen. If there is a new coaster on the horizon, I think Cedar Fair would have a far easier time giving Flight Deck a new companion.

My question is: Supposing something new is coming, what do you think it will be? Just sayin'.

Well, the press-release did say something about Cedarfair trying to add a coaster and a new ride in the water park. The park did try to push the GCI back a few years not to long ago, so my guess is the coaster will be the GCI. I don't know about the water park ride though, it seems like anything would improve the water park.

I feel bad for the poor management team at CGA! It seems like it would be a very unsure workplace... For this reason, I do have hope that this recent, "a coaster is 100% coming," rumor is true; I'd bet that, after CF announced their intentions to retain CGA, the park's GM tried to demand some answers/assurance out of corporate... Now, whether or not anything physically materializes in the park, that's another question.