TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

So now the question becomes... what DO they want?

MONEY!

Of course, Cedar Fair wants to earn a profit with CGA. Honestly, I just think the 2013 coaster will be the GCI coaster, it makes no sense to create a new design that would waste money.

Exactly!

I don't think we are going to see much change in the park this year. It was in limbo with CF trying to dump it, the 49ers moving in next door and the potential buyer backing out. With all that, there probably was nothing budgeted for any major improvements. Now that everything is settled, CF should start investing in the park again with the new long term lease. Look for big things in 2013.

I don't think we are going to see much change in the park this year. It was in limbo with CF trying to dump it, the 49ers moving in next door and the potential buyer backing out. With all that, there probably was nothing budgeted for any major improvements. Now that everything is settled, CF should start investing in the park again with the new long term lease. Look for big things in 2013.

Exactly my thoughts. This season was to be a transitional season when JMA was to take over. With the sudden flake out, it doesn't offer much time to bring anything major for the upcoming season except maybe Haunt. So, we can expect a near repeat of 2011 with probably new shows and maybe a new haunt attraction or revamp.

I was hoping CGA would at least have some new shows, but after looking at the entertainment auditions on their website, I'm not so sure. They're looking for singers for a "guest interactive karaoke show" (On the Mic Karaoke, anyone?), "a country themed song and dance show" (Boot Scootin' Boogie), and "technically trained dancers for an all new high energy dance show" (it says "all new," but that just sounds like Don't Stop the Music).

http://cagreatamerica.com/events/event_detail.cfm?event_id=375&ec_id=13

^ Then the 49ers would just have more money to speed the stadium process up! After looking at the stadium plans multiple times, it looks like the 49ers will go from the worst stadium in the NFL to the top-3. I REALLY like the design of the 49ers new one!

If and when this stadium gets going though, I do wonder if San Francisco will make a bid to host the Super Bowl one year. I think the NFL made it obvious that you don't have to be in the southern end of the country anymore when the accepted the New York bid to host the Super Bowl in 2014. If the Super Bowl ever was brought to San Francisco, I wonder if CGA would open the park for Super Bowl week although it's mid-offseason. Just think of the crowds that would come in...

^ Then the 49ers would just have more money to speed the stadium process up! After looking at the stadium plans multiple times, it looks like the 49ers will go from the worst stadium in the NFL to the top-3. I REALLY like the design of the 49ers new one!

If and when this stadium gets going though, I do wonder if San Francisco will make a bid to host the Super Bowl one year. I think the NFL made it obvious that you don't have to be in the southern end of the country anymore when the accepted the New York bid to host the Super Bowl in 2014. If the Super Bowl ever was brought to San Francisco, I wonder if CGA would open the park for Super Bowl week although it's mid-offseason. Just think of the crowds that would come in...

That's the whole reason the 49ers wanted a new stadium, they wanted to be able to host the Super Bowl and have a shiny new place. Yet there are people still fighting over the stadium. There are the ones who don't want it to leave SF and there are the people of Santa Clara who don't want it at all.

And depending on the crowds and if it's a local football team, it would most likely be the types of crowds we would want to steer clear of as we would see GP-ness of epic proportions. People like to riot for no apparent/real reason in the bay area when it comes to their team completely getting shafted or some other unfortunate event that doesn't directly affect them but feel they're part of it. I believe this has happened during a couple Super Bowls...The main one that's coming to me right now was back in 2004(?) when the Raiders made it and got slaughtered. The bay area (Oakland) was not a pretty site to see. But again, these are Raider fans, football's most notorious/rowdiest fans of all the NFL.

When the stadium's all erected (haha!) I can see epic bid wars between different parties for that year's host for the Super Bowl, and I'm pretty sure Santa Clara will want to really push at it. Good luck Santa Clara neighbors, you complain about noise and chaos from a single roller coaster... well you may have it coming and not from a coaster!

And depending on the crowds and if it's a local football team, it would most likely be the types of crowds we would want to steer clear of as we would see GP-ness of epic proportions. People like to riot for no apparent/real reason in the bay area when it comes to their team completely getting shafted or some other unfortunate event that doesn't directly affect them but feel they're part of it. I believe this has happened during a couple Super Bowls...The main one that's coming to me right now was back in 2004(?) when the Raiders made it and got slaughtered. The bay area (Oakland) was not a pretty site to see. But again, these are Raider fans, football's most notorious/rowdiest fans of all the NFL.

When the stadium's all erected (haha!) I can see epic bid wars between different parties for that year's host for the Super Bowl, and I'm pretty sure Santa Clara will want to really push at it. Good luck Santa Clara neighbors, you complain about noise and chaos from a single roller coaster... well you may have it coming and not from a coaster!

That is a once in a long while event (A Superbowl) as well as the neighbours are all businesses -and thus, closed on weekends when the stadium would be in heavy use... so noise wouldn't matter then.

The noise issues will be a problem now and infinitum. And they will plague any large-scale rides at Great America- now and infinitum.

I was going to post the image earlier but...for some reason, you can't upload photos from iPhones onto TPR.

This looks pretty good, I can't wait to see some 'cleaner' shots of the redone paint, or see it in person. Seeing it's bold black color seems to make it more 'intimidating.' I will admit though, Flight Deck is probably the only coaster whose paint job has probably not been fully redone since it was built other than some spot jobs but has aged the best. I was honestly fine with the matte grey/black color but now it should look fresh and new. I wonder how many GP will think it's a new coaster

It's about time! Guess someone tipped them off of the rusty track pic that was on CGA's website in their season pass advertisement lol. Yay for new paint for Flight Deck (Forever Top Gun) & Demon!

Edited by JJnCFL

That is a once in a long while event (A Superbowl) as well as the neighbours are all businesses -and thus, closed on weekends when the stadium would be in heavy use... so noise wouldn't matter then.

The noise issues will be a problem now and infinitum. And they will plague any large-scale rides at Great America- now and infinitum.

Your negativity is all that keeps this thread alive.

Here's a very bittersweet thank you.

Finally! They probably decided to do Demon and Flight Deck just to use all that black paint at once. Haha. Hopefully Vortex gets some new paint next year. Hell, hopefully it gets a new color scheme because that purple and yellow just isn't cutting it. What I find funny is that there are no blue or red coasters in the park, yet there are two purple coasters (Vortex and Taxi Jam).

I was thinking more along the lines of... if they do win, or do really well, they might gain more fans that would come to games, and those fans might be apt to visit CGA. In the least, I'm sure CGA could advertise at the stadium, and that would be great advertising... so I'd think.

But as Angry_Gumball pointed out... maybe the football-fan types are not the sorts we would be excited to have at the park.

Paint looks great so far! Weren't we just talking about how they really needed new paint-jobs? Maybe the park is listening to us after all!