TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I'm not sure how well fast lane will work for the park. Considering when I go during the week during the summer season, Flight Deck will have about a 1-3 train wait. Fright Lane however should benefit the park, with how busy Haunt got towards the end of the year. I will be looking into the Fright Lane pass for a better experience!

I'm really surprised CGA is getting Fast Lane, as there never seem to be crowds. Both times I've gone (summer weekdays), nothing outside of the waterpark had more than a 10 minute wait (except Stealth and the Barney Oldfield Motor Speedway). Perhaps this will be one of those parks where it is only available select days that they expect to be crowded. I noticed on the calendar for Knott's that most low crowd days (weekdays outside of summer and holiday periods) were listed as unavailable, so I could see the same happening for CGA.

That is a once in a long while event (A Superbowl) as well as the neighbours are all businesses -and thus, closed on weekends when the stadium would be in heavy use... so noise wouldn't matter then.

I was thinking more along the lines of... if they do win, or do really well, they might gain more fans that would come to games, and those fans might be apt to visit CGA. In the least, I'm sure CGA could advertise at the stadium, and that would be great advertising... so I'd think.

But as Angry_Gumball pointed out... maybe the football-fan types are not the sorts we would be excited to have at the park.

Paint looks great so far! Weren't we just talking about how they really needed new paint-jobs? Maybe the park is listening to us after all!

So I am a pretty big football fan myself....does that mean I am not welcome at "YOUR" theme park?? WTF kind of ignorance is that???? Have you ever been to a major sporting event? We do not have any kind of diseases, and are no different than you or the next person down the block.

Sorry if that came out wrong... I didn't clarify enough. I didn't mean to insinuate that all football fans shouldn't go to amusement parks, I was referring more to the types Angry_Gumball had mentioned like the angry fans that get violent when their team doesn't win. I'd hate to see people vandalizing the park or stirring up fights because they were mad that the 49ers beat their team, or vice versa. I know that the majority of football fans aren't like that, but if there were enough that did act out, it could cause a lot of problems for the park and make a generally bad atmosphere.

In regards to the fastpass issue; there is very little overhead (assuming that it is implemented in the same way it was at KI this past season) involved so it only takes a limited number of people buying them each day to make it profitable. As I am sure you all know, there are always people that will buy things like this, even on the slowest of days.

Yeah, it only seems feasable to me to offer it on busy days. Especially peak days such as Spring Celebration, any day we have fireworks, and pretty much all of Haunt. But I really don't know what the park has planned for it. I guess we'll find out in the coming months.

I could see it being offered only on projected high-crowd days, as speculated earlier.

Yeah, but using that system on a park like CGA, it wouldn't be offered very often. Every time Ive been to the park, even on a Saturday, the longest I ever waited for a ride was about 20 minutes to a half hour.

People are going to pay for it if they think it is of value to them, and if the park has it available, someone will purchase it. If no one decides to purchase it, then the park will either re-price it, or drop it all together. I believe that it will be successful.

^Yeah, there are people who like to shave off even modest wait times, plus it could help out those who can only manage a quick stop at the park. And you often see people who had apparently assumed they "should" buy into such a system on days when there's practically zero benefit (actually, I've kinda done this myself).

It's also true that there's no telling if this will be permanent; has it even been explicitly confirmed for CGA?

And with the GP, anything sells, be it overpriced toys you can find at Walmart, overpriced candies, etc. It could also be particularly beneficial for 'single-visit' guests who aren't regular CGA visitors like some of us are. Also, got kids with an attention span of a goldfish who can't wait 10 minutes in line, even though they have their iPhones and Nintendo 3DS's on hand? Instant win with a Fast Lane.

I can probably see me using the Fright Lane if push came to shove, as much as I have a pretty decent plan of attack when it comes to Haunt to get the most out of my night that I've used for several seasons now. Could Haunt get anymore crowded than what we saw last year when the park sold out of tickets?

And with the GP, anything sells, be it overpriced toys you can find at Walmart, overpriced candies, etc. It could also be particularly beneficial for 'single-visit' guests who aren't regular CGA visitors like some of us are. Also, got kids with an attention span of a goldfish who can't wait 10 minutes in line, even though they have their iPhones and Nintendo 3DS's on hand? Instant win with a Fast Lane.

I can probably see me using the Fright Lane if push came to shove, as much as I have a pretty decent plan of attack when it comes to Haunt to get the most out of my night that I've used for several seasons now. Could Haunt get anymore crowded than what we saw last year when the park sold out of tickets?

For the Haunt crowding, maybe they can open up Boomerang Bay and put Haunt attractions in there.

Except for the fact they couldn't use any of the pools for anything. It would leave plenty of nasty shoeprints in the pools, plus, I'm not sure how the lighting is back there, if any real lighting at all. I guess I've never paid attention to that. It would also be a tad difficult to keep guests out of areas they shouldn't be in (such as the slides, pools, etc) at night.

Except for the fact they couldn't use any of the pools for anything. It would leave plenty of nasty shoeprints in the pools, plus, I'm not sure how the lighting is back there, if any real lighting at all. I guess I've never paid attention to that. It would also be a tad difficult to keep guests out of areas they shouldn't be in (such as the slides, pools, etc) at night.

I would think it would be fairly easy to keep people out of areas that they shouldn't be in. It just takes some rented temporary fence. If they could make a cool scare zone in there with one or two mazes it could really add a lot to Haunt and would be worth the expense. Imagine a walk through the lazy river with people jumping out a scaring you. They could make that a really cool experience and would already have the path for people to walk through.

I would think it would be fairly easy to keep people out of areas that they shouldn't be in. It just takes some rented temporary fence. If they could make a cool scare zone in there with one or two mazes it could really add a lot to Haunt and would be worth the expense. Imagine a walk through the lazy river with people jumping out a scaring you. They could make that a really cool experience and would already have the path for people to walk through.

But you can't use the pools....

I bet they could if they really wanted to. They could put down AstroTurf for people to walk on so that they don't ruin or mark up the bottom of the lazy river.

Even if they didn't use the pools or lazy river there is a lot of room back in there for a maze or scare zone.

I bet they could if they really wanted to. They could put down AstroTurf for people to walk on so that they don't ruin or mark up the bottom of the lazy river.

Even if they didn't use the pools or lazy river there is a lot of room back in there for a maze or scare zone.

Exactly, you can use the pools and the lazy river for mazes, though this is more of a last resort, as they don't have any more room for mazes.

Why can't you? Parks do it all the time. A perfect example is when Six Flags New England had Nightmare Island in the lazy river a few years ago. Also they just introduced Slayers Lair this took place on the water parks midways.

If the pools did get dirty by foot traffic, all they would have to do is power was the pools once it got warmer.

IMO haunt mazes in the water parks is a no brainer! Why not make use of areas of the park that would normally be closed for no reason!

If the pools did get dirty by foot traffic, all they would have to do is power was the pools once it got warmer.

And they'd already have to clean the pools anyways because they'd get dirty over the the off season, so it really wouldn't be adding any extra work. And I'm looking at Boomerang Bay from Bing, and they could have a pretty large scare zone in there without even needing to use the pools or lazy river. Just put up some walls to make a big one way circular path.