TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I thought that a B&M Giga and Hyper in the same park was silly then, and I think its silly now (as per rumor).

Now make the giga a looper and you've got a totally different situation. There's no was a giga multi-looper wouldn't be world famous (as far as coasters go).

Playing the POV's side by side both starting at the bottom of the lift hill, I305 has already completed the first airtime hill by the time Leviathan has crested the lift hill.

What's your point? That cables are better than chains? I think it is the slow lift hill that allows Leviathan to run 3 trains.

As for Carowinds new coaster, I'd be surprised if this was Intamin and not B&M. Cedar Fair seems to be pleased with their products as they keep buying more and they havn't gave as many headaches to parks like some Intamins have.

Most enthusiasts on this site won't love a B&M giga, but the GP sure will, and that's what matters the most to the park.

Playing the POV's side by side both starting at the bottom of the lift hill, I305 has already completed the first airtime hill by the time Leviathan has crested the lift hill.

What's your point? That cables are better than chains? I think it is the slow lift hill that allows Leviathan to run 3 trains.

As for Carowinds new coaster, I'd be surprised if this was Intamin and not B&M. Cedar Fair seems to be pleased with their products as they keep buying more and they havn't gave as many headaches to parks like some Intamins have.

Most enthusiasts on this site won't love a B&M giga, but the GP sure will, and that's what matters the most to the park.

That's my point exactly. Cables are MUCH better than chains. The cables on MF allow it to run three trains. It's just another thing that makes Intamin better in my opinion than B&M. Being catapulted over the lift hill adds more excitement to the ride for me.

My big impression from Leviathan was that it didn't offer me anything substantially different from the B&M hypers. MF and I305 are more of what I expect a giga to be: tall, fast, and intense. That being said, I totally get that CF and Intamin aren't exactly the best of pals these days. My only hope is that if it is a B&M that they change up their formula a bit. I don't think Carowinds needs a 50% taller version of Intimidator.

^^It is more exiting. However,I have to praise B&M's incredible reliability and the fact that no one ever needs to make changes or mess with a ride after they are open (like they did with I305) as well as Skyrush's lift hill that now slows down at the top. And every time I go to a park that has an Intamin I'm afraid it won't be operating (especially if it is launched). Don't get me wrong,I think intamin makes some seriously awesome rides but B&Ms give no problems and are usually very popular among park guests and that's what parks want.

That's my point exactly. Cables are MUCH better than chains. The cables on MF allow it to run three trains. It's just another thing that makes Intamin better in my opinion than B&M. Being catapulted over the lift hill adds more excitement to the ride for me.

I'm not interested in the never ending Manufacturer debate, but the cable/chain debate is silly. The one that works better is the one that works most consistently. Blocking for 3 trains on either ride has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanisms that bring the coaster to the top of the hill and everything to do with the number of zones which the train can be "parked" in, for lack of a better term. What lets MF run three trains is block at the separate unload station. What lets Leviathan do it is the super long brake run before the train.

Given that B&M provides reliable products for Cedar Fair I wouldn't expect an Intamin to show up anytime soon. Launch cables aside, Intamin has had to replace track on both Maverick and I305 due to design flaws. I absolutely love both rides, love Intamins, but sadly I feel many parks will opt out of huge or intense Intamins due to these very reasons.

The rumor going for a while was that Carowinds would get a wing coaster, but at 300' I doubt that is the case now.

That being said, I totally get that CF and Intamin aren't exactly the best of pals these days.

No, you don't get that because it's made up by a handful of enthusiasts who think they know the industry.

My only hope is that if it is a B&M that they change up their formula a bit.

Don't hold your breath ever for that one.

Edited by coasterfreak101

You have to imagine that some of the parks know what they're getting into when they request the most intense coasters on earth. It seems that parks don't bother asking B&M for intense rides, and seldom bother asking intamin for a more traditional ride. Intamin rides have had some technical issues, but are for the most part a good deal less expensive than their B&M counterparts. I'd bet that for the most part, the type of ride and the amount of money determine what manufacturer gets the job.

That being said, I totally get that CF and Intamin aren't exactly the best of pals these days.

No, you don't get that because it's made up by a handful of enthusiasts who think they know the industry.

This is exactly right. Coaster enthusiasts are idiots who "make up" stories and then after they tell themselves these stories over and over again, they all of a sudden become "fact." And it's totally dumb, but so are most coaster dorks.

Remember for years how dumbass enthusiasts kept saying "Oh, Magic Mountain will NEVER work with Intamin ever again!!!!" Hi, Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, and Superman Backwards.

Remember after Millennium Force people kept saying how Cedar Point would NEVER WORK WITH INTAMIN AGAIN!!! Hello Top Thrill Dragster and Wicked Twister.

And then remember after those how people said that CEDAR FAIR WOULD NEVER WORK WITH INTAMIN AGAIN!!!

Hello Maverick... Hello I-305.

Are people really so DUMB they don't understand how things work???

When a park needs a "Toyota" - something that just runs, and keeps people happy, and will be solid & reliable, they buy a nice B&M.

When they need a "Ferrari" - something that will F**KING BLOW PEOPLE AWAY AND MAKE THEM GO "WHAT THE F**K" DID I JUST RIDE?!?!? HOLY SH!T!!!!!"

They buy an Intamin.

Yes, the Intamins might be less reliable, but so are Ferrari's. They take a lot more attention to keep running. But all you need to do is look at the world's top roller coasters and you can easily see that Cedar Fair's top ranked rides are all Intamin.

And anyone that can't or refuses to see or understand this is a huge, HUGE, HUGE f**king moron.

--Robb

ps. What's sad is that B&M's USED to F**KING BLOW PEOPLE AWAY AND MAKE THEM GO "WHAT THE F**K" DID I JUST RIDE?!?!? HOLY SH!T!!!!!"

Wouldn't it be nice to have that version of the company back again?

Edited by robbalvey

The rumor going for a while was that Carowinds would get a wing coaster, but at 300' I doubt that is the case now.

It could end up being a 300 ft tall looping coaster! Although I highly doubt that, sadly.

I always imagined a giga/hyper looping ride and last year when Robb told us to ask questions to manufacturers for IAAPA I asked B&M if they had ever considered doing such thing to which Walter Bolliger said "I do not want to answer that question."

I guess this dream will never come true.

Still, getting exited with this new ride!

I'd say for a launcher they'd turn to Premier. They don't seem to put out that many coasters with reliability problems and should be able to fit something Skyrocket-ish in Vortex's plot after the park hopefully gives it to Valleyfair or Michigan's Adventure. If not Premier I could see them giving Intamin another shot.

The problem with a Sky Rocket-like coaster is that it doesn't have that high of a capacity. With what Cedar Fair has been adding lately, it seems that they want rather high capacity rides, as shown through their installations of Leviathan, Gatekeeper, Gold Striker, & Banshee.

Also, doesn't Hurler take up a large amount of space? I could see the large, new coaster being built there.

Burn Hurler! Something like Cheetah Hunt would be perfect because it has a very high capacity!

If they did burn hurler, I would be pissed. Besides, I thought the burning treatment was reserved for Mean Streak and (formerly) Son of Beast.

^Exactly, enough said. Always better than nothing.

But.... is it? I mean, I rode Leviathan and was all "Oh..."

And I didn't feel the need to ride it again. Personally, I would have rather they NOT put that ride in and spent the money on something I would have liked better.

Now, that's me being totally selfish, but honestly, if I went back to Canada's Wonderland and DIDN'T ride Leviathan during my visit, I wouldn't feel like I missed anything.

So for me, I disagree that "it's better than nothing" because that argument also applies if they built a Vekoma SLC or a Zamperla Volare.

--Robb

I know this is probably as likely as me winning the lottery, but wouldn't it be something of mayby they were talking to the Rocky Mountain folks about the first wooden-giga....something like a mix between Goliath and Outlaw Run? Like I said, about as likely as winning the Powerball, but I can only imagine how NUTS and Balls-to-the-wall that would be.

After hearing how different Leviathan and Behemoth ride, I'm fine with a B&M giga. Would I like an Intamin? Yes, but Kings Dominion already has a decent giga in the market. But a blitz coaster like iSpeed would be the most perfect addition ever.

If B&M, I'd love a "speed" coaster with huge drop and some low to the ground hills. Maybe some tunnel action between the states? Not to be a grouch but let's save the 300 foot Wingrider for some other park.

Why not let Rocky Mountain build this coaster though? Carowinds could use a good "wooden" coaster and RM can certainly do 300 feet if they can do a dive loop and zero g rolls, right?

And I completely agree with Robb's comments above (and his similar comments about Gatekeeper). $20-$30 million is a lot to spend on something just "OK." Blow us out of the water Carowinds.

Edited by willh51